Loss conditions for traitors based on maintaining stealth/discouraging murderboning?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Deepwoods
Byond Username: Deepwoods

Loss conditions for traitors based on maintaining stealth/discouraging murderboning?

Post by Deepwoods » #517906

I feel it's a bit screwy that someone sent out to covertly kill someone can blow the station to pieces and cause a mass-casualty event. What are thoughts on creative loss conditions discouraging havoc for some traitor rulesets?
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: Loss conditions for traitors based on maintaining stealth/discouraging murderboning?

Post by TheMythicGhost » #517915

Deepwoods wrote:I feel it's a bit screwy that someone sent out to covertly kill someone can blow the station to pieces and cause a mass-casualty event. What are thoughts on creative loss conditions discouraging havoc for some traitor rulesets?
Di...did you get inspired to post this based on the NTR Hut thread about a paradise traitor getting the bannu for murderboning?

That said, (though this may be a shitty idea), power up the next round's security slightly more (officers have certain implants now, or heavier armors available to them immediately). Other than that, there isn't really much you can do in the way of de-incentivizing murderboning outside of legislative action (making rules or policies) against it, but that's a very slick slope.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Re: Loss conditions for traitors based on maintaining stealth/discouraging murderboning?

Post by nianjiilical » #517929

youd probably have better luck with carrot over stick philosophy by giving traitors bonus objectives to not murderbone that aren't required for greentext

the problem is how do you detect/enforce it? is it feasibly possible to tell whether the station exploded because of the traitor or someone else? if the traitor has an object to not directly murder anybody can he still plasmaflood and let people choke?
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #517935

Thing is, sometimes murderbone is necessary, just out of merit of almost everyone being out for your head on a silver platter as soon as you're discovered to be, or are SUSPECTED to be, traitor. There's already a punishment for fucking up stealth and not being GOOD at combat, and that's getting fucking lynched by the tide. Plus, even if you try to stealth, something will often fuck you over.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #517937

Brappe
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #517938

Making antags non-interactive is shit when they're supposed to be the driving conflict of the round, and this is especially evident with traitors. Always has been. The meme of "uh oh I got a steal objective time to grab a slime extract then hide in a locker near the escape pods for 40 minutes" is a real thing, and rounds where all your traitors are AFK in a locker the whole time are boring rounds.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #517945

PKPenguin321 wrote:Making antags non-interactive is shit when they're supposed to be the driving conflict of the round, and this is especially evident with traitors. Always has been. The meme of "uh oh I got a steal objective time to grab a slime extract then hide in a locker near the escape pods for 40 minutes" is a real thing, and rounds where all your traitors are AFK in a locker the whole time are boring rounds.
Yep. Also, "stealth antags" without a gimmick are absolutely broken overpowered and not particularly interesting to play against. Let's take stealth nukies for example: if the nuclear operatives get onto the station decked out in gamer gear, with one guy using AP sniper rounds to instakill the AI to prevent detection, the bomb is often detonated before anyone even knows they arrived. That's not very interesting for station personnel, and it's often pretty uninteresting for the nukies too.

That doesn't mean you should go on a Dornan-style desword rampage every time you get traitor or op, but take some risks and try to enjoy your limited opportunity to use any tool at your disposal for your objectives.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #517956

If a traitor is running about killing people for no good reason and isn't using an absolutely busted meta item (Like Desword and possibly carp) Or some abomniable fucking tc trade item (COUGH COUGH THAT ONE FUCKING 600% CAPACITY HYPERKINETIC ACCELERATOR EKAT GOT WHICH COULD FIRE RAPIDLY AND HARDCRITTED ON TWO SHOTS, AND WAS MORE OR LESS HITSCAN, AND THATS IN STATION ATMOSPHERE), It usually takes some degree of skill to fight a lot of people without resorting to stealth.

Of course, there is also the flipside of traitors killing people who are not involved in any ways, which do NOT include validhunters, as of validhunters being a threat, or other potential threats, OR people who could be in the way of you doing your gimmicks, who refuse to back down or run. However, I will admit, most traitors have all the reason to interperet ANYONE as being a fucking threat.

Murderbone, as long as the person isnt using absolutely broken to hell shit which makes them nigh invincible, Is actually something which requires a decent ammount of skill. Additionally, stealth can easily be fucked over by sec fuckery or just random people.

Now i'm having metal gear solid 3 flashbacks.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #517962

There's really no viable coding way to de-incentivize murderboning. Even if you removed all the antag gear, a person would still murderbone with available crew content, and failing that maybe even with a fucking fire extinguisher, or just the absolutely broken systems (atmospherics, toxins, xenobio, etc).

Even if there was some downside to mass murdering folks outside of a hijack objective, you'd then introduce a different issue of people baiting others to kill them to punish that person. The problem exists more so in relation to policies and rules that COULD be implemented but not necessarily should be implemented.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #517965

Baiting security to kill an assistant with forged evidence is a classic ss13 tactic..

we need a classic ss13 tactics thread.
► Show Spoiler
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #517968

Memetext > greentext I would never jeopardize my Atmosia or Engytopia memetext for the sace of sweaty greentext.

Trying to steal condom medal or some other crap and risking getting caught by a random shitcurty passerby or a starcraft nerd that plays AI while you can spend this time voring entire station with a controlled Singuloth or doing fusion flood???

- - - - - -

Also syndicate fluff explicitly emphasizes that 1. Killing other syndicate nerds is ok. 2. any collateral damage to Nanotrasen property/employees is greatly appreciated. If anything this blood bros meme and other team antags already kinda nerfs murderbone.