(Ex)terminator Synths

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PotatoMasher
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: PotatoMasher

(Ex)terminator Synths

Post by PotatoMasher » #518314

Alright, I've had this idea floating around in the back of my head for years now but haven't really done anything with it. It may never see the light if I never actually sit down and >LEARN TO BYOND, but I thought I might as well put it in to text form for others to see. I'm aware of the current antag-freeze, but that can't stop me from typing this out.

SS13 is a mess of various science fiction references already (which I love), and this would fit into that category. Basically, take the existing mostly broken synths/military synths that are in the game and make them into something that is actually used outside of the rare adminbus.

Exterminator Synths would be a humanoid organic machine: a plastitanium alloy endoskeleton covered with an organic tissue layer. Their skin would fall apart after excessive damage or being burned away, revealing their metallic insides bit by bit. Basically just a T-800 from the Terminator film series. I'm not 100% sure on all the specifics yet but it would be immune to most traditional forms of damage outside of specific cases like ion weaponry, EMPs, high impact weaponry, explosions, repeated damage to an area, and heavy-duty station equipment like the recycler and the extreme heat produced from the incinerator.

My main differentiation would be how they acquire skills and unique gear. As a gamemode, they would start in endoskeleton form in a prep room much like the wizard. They have the option of going to a machine to get a custom skin layer, or can ignore it if they don't care for the stealthy approach. Exterminators can then purchase a limited amount of gear, ranging from future-tech plasma firearms to more discreet and portable conventional firearms, as well as items aiding in stealth like a set of clothing/sunglasses, synthflesh patches, etc. They would then hop aboard an elaborate looking teleporter, sending them to a desired location on the station.

After arriving, their main source of abilities becomes available. Exterminators can dismantle and examine machines (similar to swarmers) on the station to gain abilities similar to the machines they analyze. For instance, breaking down an intercom (a common machine) would allow them to use the station's radio without needing a headset. Breaking down an autolathe (a less common machine) would allow them to occasionally produce certain ammunition for guns they have access to. This also extends to handheld item devices like HUD goggles and mecha parts. This allows them to get various new powerful abilities, scaling based on how hard it is to actually get to that item/device. Additionally, it would take time to deconstruct these items with at least one unique audio cue to tell off nearby crew that something is wrong. The Exterminator would be able to hold only a specific amount of Major/Minor abilities gained from machines, so the Exterminator would have to pick and chose which machines they want to try getting. They could remove abilities permanently as they see fit to free up room for new ones, but they would need to go and analyze a new machine of that type if they wished to have that ability again at a later time.

Their objectives of course would primarily consist of exterminating a specific target of high value, such as a member of the science department/security/head of staff, but there will always be a prime target that is essential for extermination. Additional objectives may appear such as analyzing specific high value machines/items, as well as a rare objective to ensure the extermination of multiple targets in addition to the primary target. There is no survival objective, all that is required is to ensure the death of the target. Some analyzing objectives may require the survival of the unit in order for the Syndicate to retrieve it's gathered tech.

If the crew were somehow able to subdue or disable an Exterminator, they have the option of destroying it using heavy duty machines like the recycler, dismantling it and using the parts for advanced future tech, or even reprogramming it through a special head surgery. While the primary objective is hardcoded, it can be flipped to be a protect objective rather than exterminate. Other objectives can be added and removed at will. If the crew actually does get to this point, the target will be rewarded with a new superhuman robot bodyguard.

The problems I see with this would be basically making a whole damn new species that has a new health system, while still having to pretend to be a human when it needs to with all the inventory and UI that a human would have. I guess this can be avoided with handheld scanners revealing the true nature of the Exterminator rather than giving the traditional brute/burn/toxin/oxygen readout. But interactions with the cloning pod, exclusions from chemical processing, cryo tubes, head traumas, brain damage, etc. seem difficult to avoid without making exceptions for this one species. Another area of concern would be the skin layer thing, and having separate health levels for the synthflesh and the endoskeleton integrity. Right now the one used with the current synths isn't working all that well, as it just uses the normal damage overlay just with synth bits rather than inner flesh (plus it seems to also heal with normal chems which is unintended???).

TLDR: Terminators but they can analyze machines to get more more abilities to help them carry out their objectives.

IDK. It all just seems kind of overly complicated with my level of knowledge, so I'm not sure myself how to make it happen. I thought I might as well just leave this here to gather opinions of such a thing existing. I'm feeling a bit more inspired after writing all this down, so I may attempt learn and try to make it a reality even if it isn't considered.
A strange moth entrusted me with administration, let me know how well I'm doing here.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: (Ex)terminator Synths

Post by oranges » #518343

synths already exist
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #518353

oranges wrote:synths already exist
Yeah, but they're kinda lame, and may not work properly in the code(I don't know, need to test it some more).
I just know Synths from a Pride Mirror don't lose their disguise(though they may not be made into synths at all, so idk)
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #518355

And last I checked, are completely unused outside of admin events. Considering they already have a similar function to what the OP is suggesting(disguise as fleshy humanoid, disguise fails under damage), I don't see the issue with attempting to repurpose something already going unused. It seems much more efficient than coding something brand new from the ground up.

On that note, the idea in the OP looks pretty good. I don't see it being an exclusive antagonist like wizard(as given in the example), but it'd be a cool one-off to insert into tator/ling or dynamic rounds. The idea is sound, but by the nature of this game it wouldn't be strong enough to stand on it's own against an entire crew, especially given the tells its intended to have.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #518383

deedubya wrote:
And last I checked, are completely unused outside of admin events. Considering they already have a similar function to what the OP is suggesting(disguise as fleshy humanoid, disguise fails under damage), I don't see the issue with attempting to repurpose something already going unused. It seems much more efficient than coding something brand new from the ground up.
Given that I tried this already and the maintainers voted no on it, I'm not sure that this would go through either.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Irad
Byond Username: IradT

Post by Irad » #520866

If people weren't so disinclined towards this, I really like this idea, and would like to pick it up.