Public Mining Asteroid

A place to record your ideas for the game.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Public Mining Asteroid

Post by deedubya » #518356

sipp Remember the mining asteroid? I doubt that many of you do, lavaland was what, 3-5 years ago now? Basically it was a boring shithole full of the old red stone texture, space carp to annoy you, the occasional basilisk to robust, and minerals to mine. No real epic gamer loot or interesting lavaland enemies. It got phased out as the shaft miner's main resource pool for a reason, and I'm not here to change that.
Spoiler:
However, there's something new on stations. A public mining shuttle, and a public section of the lavaland base. This is a new and somewhat welcome addition, but it does bring a slight criticism. This essentially grants access to potential lavaland loot to anyone with an EVA suit and a weapon. I'm not entirely sure this was intended, and I'm not entirely sure this is a good idea. Giving the crew ways to earn resources when the miners are absent/have all died/are tators is a good idea though, so here's the thought: Why not bring back the old mining asteroid/station, and use it as the public mining base? This would leave lavaland as (mostly)shaft miner exclusive, as it was up until recently. This means all the inherent dangers and rewards to lavaland are still fairly locked towards miners, as it should be. However, the crew will still have the option to go out and mine their own resources when mining is being uncooperative. It'd also have the benefits of being an alternative launch point for spess explorers, an exile point for revheads/heads during rev, and even give a somewhat reliable source of fish to the kitchen if taken advantage of. It's also just be cool to see something old and forgotten(for this server, I'm aware other codebases still use the asteroid) live again with new purpose. I know we have quite a few "empty space" z-levels, so one of them could easily be repurposed to hold the old rock again.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Public Mining Asteroid

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #518367

I remember it.

I also remember that ministation didnt have a seperate z level for mining but the station was surrounded by asteroids that you could jump to and mine and i really enjoyed that cuz i could build cat walks and stuff to jump to them.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #518387

Public lavaland access is good for autism fortresses and gas siphoning, which livens up the place. Lavaland should have more features the crew can use, not fewer.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #518390

I think this is a good idea. An asteroid gives people a reason to go out and do stuff, make people want to have EVA suits
to explore teh asteroid and can give antag many oportunities for stealth.

There should be a way tog et tehre as is though, because if nto the new antag cult/rev meta will be to rush EVA suits to get to the
asteroid and be impossible to get to.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #518437

TBH the only way I'd find lavaland interesting is if the station was on the lavaland z level. It would never happen for obvious reasons. But it would give security something to if Goliath's or legions occasionally breached the station.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #520284

I want. I need.
[this space reserved]
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #520301

Calomel wrote:I think this is a good idea. An asteroid gives people a reason to go out and do stuff, make people want to have EVA suits
to explore teh asteroid and can give antag many oportunities for stealth.

There should be a way tog et tehre as is though, because if nto the new antag cult/rev meta will be to rush EVA suits to get to the
asteroid and be impossible to get to.
The idea I listed in the OP is to use the public mining shuttle as the primary access point to the mining asteroid z-level. You could still run into it on a random jaunt through space, but it'd be pointless since you'd have a reliable way to go back and forth. Also, since it'd be on a different z-level, cult bases wouldn't be 100% functional, so you couldn't abuse the isolation to have a worry free cult base.
Sandshark808 wrote:Public lavaland access is good for autism fortresses and gas siphoning, which livens up the place. Lavaland should have more features the crew can use, not fewer.
This would still be possible with the auxilary base. Set up your brap farm on the aux base, then deploy it, and have the miners collect shit occasionally. Alternatively, get access to do it yourself from whoever's in command at the time. The aux base could use more justification for existing, so make better use of it.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.