Make Clock Cult admin only

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Make Clock Cult admin only

Post by Timonk » #519363

i know it has been removed, im not a fan of this.

almost every time it has been run by dinkle/imsxz, most of the poeple enjoyed it, including me. i understand how you can hate clock cult if its played every day, but those are some epic assets.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk

Re: Make Clock Cult admin only

Post by Timonk » #519367

also ratvar and nar nar interaction is epic
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #519396

I don't know if you read the github so I'll post here just so you know why it was deleted.

192 affected files, 20-30 were the gamemode itself.

The creator of the mode (Xhuis) and the person supporting the mode (ChangelingRain) dropped the mode the maintainers decided to drop it as well, Xhuis had left after 3 iterations of the same mode failed in which he went to try to make another mode called Darkspawn but that also ended up failing to which he left SS13 (presumably).

The mode was then taken out of rotation a short while later.
Shiz takes a look at it and realizes ("Holy shit this is a dumpster fire, and the code is literally everywhere.") and begins work on a removal for the mode because the maintainability of having to update Clock Cult in 192 files on basically any major refactor is a huge detriment.

Shiz runs into Travis conflicts and doesn't have the time to fix them likely due to IRL factors making him incredibly busy. He informs any future person that they can carry on his work to remove the mode. Around that time I say on the server that I'd do it, but I don't do it for a while.

After a shit load of admin forced rounds of it, with an admin actually being deadminned because of him forcing the mode and rolling for antag on it, I get enough motivation to actually work on a removal of the mode. Keep in mind the mode had been sitting for a fucking while unmaintained at this point. I ask around to figure out where I would start and get maintainer permission to work on the removal, to which a maintainer helpfully links me ShizCalev's previous attempt. I begin the work and realize ("Holy shit this is a dumpster fire, and the code is literally everywhere") while making sure literally everyone sees exactly that by pointing it out to them in the code.

I reach the end of updating Shiz's attempt at removing Clock Cult, but wait...what's this? It's found its way into 25+ more lines in ~six files, and also a map references it? what?

It's at this point Oranges states that we need additional approval from a select group of people, keep in mind these people didn't mandate the mode be removed, neither did the maintainers. I was the one that decided to continue the work that Shiz put forth by my own will, with permission to do so of course.

I move over the auto-spinning chair functionality from the now deleted brass chair over to the bronze chair because I thought it was a minor refreshing aesthetic, and nobody takes issue with it.
I then have to edit the map ruin, my first attempt was just removing the references, which left 3 groups of 5-6 cells (the contents of a tile) having the exact same contents.
I go back to the map and do edits that didn't reference CC's deleted assets codewise, and a different maintainer takes issue with how there is now tiny chunks of ore around it in place of the deleted components and they tell me to move the components it references to a fluff structure instead.
I get a little flustered, but eventually I do this (though I really don't agree with having a load of useless shit bloating the code) the map is fixed and now has those deleted components just under a different codepath, and do nothing.

It is at this point we receive the additional approval that the removal needed after deliberation, and the Nuclear Authentication Device has the keys turned to fire the beam that would destroy the current implementation of Clock Cult, effectively excising it from the code. The assets (graphics and sound) are still there.

If you want it back, by all means implement it from a sane structure codewise where it isn't leaking into a million files needlessly, but you should probably also just redesign the mode at that point. Nobody is stopping you from doing this, except if you just attempt to revert it as your re-implementation.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #519414

Timonk wrote: almost every time it has been run by dinkle/imsxz, most of the poeple enjoyed it, including me.
MFW Someone says that "EVERYONE LIKED THIS THING I'M ARGUING FOR"

Seriously, this gamemode was... Horrificly broken. When it was still around before complete removal, it WAS admin only. It was not SUPPOSED to be used for being a broken and prolonged mess, with at least questionable balance, and strict time limits which make the round way too fucking long or short. It's essentially A shitty version of nuke ops, mixed with a shitty version of abductors, mixed with a shitty version of cult.

One side will ALWAYS win in a fucking landslide once things get going.

Additionally, this round is often spawned when it would either be a greenshift which we need now and then, or another damn antag is already there. Which is real fucking annoying.

I've got a lot more to complain about, but I have a class to go to. Good fucking riddance that this mode is gone, Don't bring it back without fixing it and policy around using it.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #519447

CC is no longer with us so it's not really feedback.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #519449

the code is unmaintainable garbage fix it yourself you lazy bum
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #519456

Close the thread I'm fucking done I'm gonna vanish from tg suck my dick
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #519465

you do it BITCH
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #519635

Just use CC assets for a Lavaland boss. Altrought having something resembling tower defense with crew having to leave the station and invade was refreshing and unlike any other mode.
Too bad Invading CentCom ins't a thing.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519637

OFQ wrote:Just use CC assets for a Lavaland boss. Altrought having something resembling tower defense with crew having to leave the station and invade was refreshing and unlike any other mode.
Too bad Invading CentCom ins't a thing.
Every time we discover a new exploit to do it, it briefly becomes a thing again.
TothBrush

Post by TothBrush » #519786

Not gonna lie not much makes me wish I was unbanned from TG more than knowing that clock cult is fucking gone but I'm still having to occasionally sit through a clock cult round on bee
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #519855

Go away pedo
I considered typing that but it would be too harsh, wouldn't it?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote: