[POLL] Add slowdown for dragging bodies

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Good Idea?

Yeah
9%
Yeah
9%
Yeah
9%
Nah
21%
Nah
21%
Nah
21%
Dragging bodies should damage the mob instead
2%
2%
2%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%

Total votes: 276

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [POLL] Add slowdown for dragging bodies

Post by Saegrimr » #56964

Bottom post of the previous page:

dezzmont wrote:You still don't seem to get it.

Absolutely nothing about this change in any way will make people more likely to suddenly realize that on site revivals are good if they are still not doing them. If the medic purely cares about their own time and doesn't understand the power of dexalin, anything besides a huge slowdown which absolutely no one on the server wants is going to work.

You can say it MIGHT discourage them but it clearly wont because it doesn't in any way affect the thought process of existing medics. You are not realistically going to change that with a slowdown unless the slowdown is massive. In fact if medics are mostly sleeper dragging you severely risk them going back to oldschool "I don't give a shit" medics who don't actually heal and instead just let non-medics drag to cloning, because before the sleeper upgrade medics used to be really trashy.

A slowdown doesn't really play into the reason field revives don't happen unless you make it take longer than a minute or two to drag. Which, yeah, no. No one should think that is a good idea.
Shit medics will be shit medics, if slowing down their dragging time inconveniences them in the slightest then fine. Maybe they'll rethink their job preferences instead of playing corpse ferryman. If it doesn't then it gives time for people who actually know what the fuck they're doing to catch up and do their job for them instead of whisking them away at lightspeed. That's all there is to it.

You're ignoring that this change would affect multiple other job facets rather than just medics, i'm defending why this wouldn't be a bad change for medics.
dezzmont wrote:you severely risk them going back to oldschool "I don't give a shit" medics who don't actually heal and instead just let non-medics drag to cloning
Considering there is nothing else to the job, he'd just be a greyshirt in a medic outfit. In which case he likely wasn't going to do the job anyway and this change doesn't even affect him.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56972

dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: No I'm not. The medic dumps the guy off at cloning/cyro and calls it a day. Time spent: 10 seconds.
Bolded for emphasis. This is exactly why saying cloning takes 2 minutes and thus is completely inferior to on site revival is looking at it from the downed person's perspective and not from the medic's perspective. The guy who is downed has the 2 minute timer, which is why I mentioned that dropping off at the cloner is superior to an on site revival when you are looking at time to outcomes from the medic's perspective. To the medic however he just revived a guy in 10 seconds, which is like... waaaay faster than fiddling around with bruise packs and a dexalin for 30 seconds, or only bruise packs for a minute and a half.

Good medics, of course, don't do this because they care about the patient's time as much as their own, and understand that popping a dex makes reviving people really easy. But if this change is trying to get crappy medics to do more on site revivals it will fail. Now that dexalin is one of the most common items on the station taking someone out of crit basically just requires understanding crit mechanics, popping dex, and bruise packing a guy. People who are not already doing that and are instead dragging to sleepers are not going to be disuaded by a minor slowdown intended to keep dragging bodies reasonably zippy.

If you want to get people reviving on site more one thing you could do is make the utility of dexalin in the process more apparent, or by a not quite upgrade to the medkit by making a doctor's version that looks like it makes it easier but actually doesn't, and creates an illusionary reduction in the amount of work it takes.
I keep reading this post and I'm afraid Sae isn't missing the point as much as you're missing your own. You went into this with the assumption that "all medics are shit." You've also flipfloped a few times on your advocacy which is making your moving target of a point pretty annoying to even discuss.

A good medic doesn't need to drag somebody pointlessly to cloning because they already treated them on-site in about 10 seconds with the tools they're carrying. This is increased by the on-site revives made possible by defibs. This is all faster than Drag to medbay > drag to cloning > clone > cryo. So yes, if you make the first two steps harder to do, the lowest common denominator (who shouldn't be touching patients in the first place) isn't going to bother because they really didn't give a shit in the first place and if doing the wrong thing is a little bit slower, you'll see a decrease in people doing it.

That's assuming that we're even going to boil down everything in the game to that sort of play level in the first place.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #56975

cedarbridge wrote:
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: No I'm not. The medic dumps the guy off at cloning/cyro and calls it a day. Time spent: 10 seconds.
Bolded for emphasis. This is exactly why saying cloning takes 2 minutes and thus is completely inferior to on site revival is looking at it from the downed person's perspective and not from the medic's perspective. The guy who is downed has the 2 minute timer, which is why I mentioned that dropping off at the cloner is superior to an on site revival when you are looking at time to outcomes from the medic's perspective. To the medic however he just revived a guy in 10 seconds, which is like... waaaay faster than fiddling around with bruise packs and a dexalin for 30 seconds, or only bruise packs for a minute and a half.

Good medics, of course, don't do this because they care about the patient's time as much as their own, and understand that popping a dex makes reviving people really easy. But if this change is trying to get crappy medics to do more on site revivals it will fail. Now that dexalin is one of the most common items on the station taking someone out of crit basically just requires understanding crit mechanics, popping dex, and bruise packing a guy. People who are not already doing that and are instead dragging to sleepers are not going to be disuaded by a minor slowdown intended to keep dragging bodies reasonably zippy.

If you want to get people reviving on site more one thing you could do is make the utility of dexalin in the process more apparent, or by a not quite upgrade to the medkit by making a doctor's version that looks like it makes it easier but actually doesn't, and creates an illusionary reduction in the amount of work it takes.
I keep reading this post and I'm afraid Sae isn't missing the point as much as you're missing your own. You went into this with the assumption that "all medics are shit." You've also flipfloped a few times on your advocacy which is making your moving target of a point pretty annoying to even discuss.

A good medic doesn't need to drag somebody pointlessly to cloning because they already treated them on-site in about 10 seconds with the tools they're carrying. This is increased by the on-site revives made possible by defibs. This is all faster than Drag to medbay > drag to cloning > clone > cryo. So yes, if you make the first two steps harder to do, the lowest common denominator (who shouldn't be touching patients in the first place) isn't going to bother because they really didn't give a shit in the first place and if doing the wrong thing is a little bit slower, you'll see a decrease in people doing it.

That's assuming that we're even going to boil down everything in the game to that sort of play level in the first place.
You completely jumped the shark here. I did not assume all medics were shit, I made it clear some medics were awesome.

I also didn't really flip flop, please point out to me where I did.

You just reiterated my entire argument. This will do absolutely nothing to change anyone's behavior besides possibly make it worse. If good medics wont care... and bad medics won't care...
who is going to care?

You just overtly stated good medics already do on site revives.

You just overtly stated that bad medics will not really care about this change.

So what are you trying to do? Can you seriously answer that question? If you recognize bad medics won't change their behavior or react to this change, and that good medics are already preforming the behavior that this change is attempting to encourage, then you are, if you are aware of it or not, highlighting that the change has absolutely no point or reason to exist.
Saegrimr wrote: You're ignoring that this change would affect multiple other job facets rather than just medics, i'm defending why this wouldn't be a bad change for medics.
The fuck I did. Are you a goldfish? My primary argument for the last 5 pages has been "This change is intensely negative for a lot of people and playing it up as a change to medics is stupid." Just because I changed focus to point out how this makes no sense in actually getting medics to be better medics in a way that doesn't deny that this change is mostly negative for every other role doesn't mean I suddenly disavowed my previous stance.

Your point on "Shitty medics are going to shitty medic" and do it anyway just further reinforces what I am saying. This change doesn't actually help anyone. Lets not act like it will. Doing it to spite people who probably won't really notice it at the expense of everyone else is dumb. Medics didn't re-think their job back when everyone exclusively used the cloner, so pretending they might here for what is a much more minor nerf is silly too.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56977

dezzmont wrote:Are you a goldfish? My primary argument for the last 5 pages has been "This change is intensely negative for a lot of people and playing it up as a change to medics is stupid."
Pardon me for mistaking the context of the original argument when you keep changing positions.

>On-site medical tools are worthless.
>Okay they're not but they take too long to use compared to cloning them.
>I mean it doesn't take that long for the medic.
>I mean for other players, not myself, I would NEVER do that.
>Because a bruise pack is too complicated. For those guys.
>They weren't revive people anyway.
>Well they weren't gonna drag people back anyway.
>Well they weren't going to do anything anyway.

So until you put this in a perspective from people who actually do their job and not Random McGreyshirt wearing a labcoat, i'm done here.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #56979

You know what? Yeah. I will own that I kinda went from the oldschool medic perspective that first post and outright forgot about the dexalin.

But every other bit of "Confusing movement of point" you point out is in fact, not that confusing.

The fact you can't understand that the medic's perspective is very different than the dead person's and that your logic makes no fucking sense if you actually give a shit about getting people to revive others means I will not miss you in this thread. Your entire argument is "Only shitty medics don't revive so we shouldn't care abut them, but also the goal of this change is to get people to field revive and the only people who don't are shitty medics who never will."

Like what the fuck? Do you even hear yourself? That is complete nonsense and is a textbook failure in logic. Nothing you are saying makes a coherent point because your stated goals, values, and assumptions are all overtly self contradictory.

If we shouldn't give a shit about shitty medics, why design something specifically to make them better medics?

If shitty medics will never revive other people in the field, then that logically means this change could only be aimed at good medics.

If we recognize that good medics already field revive, why would this change affect them at all?

You want this from someone who does their job as a medic? Ok, here we go...

Pre-change:
"Here is a body. I am going to revive it. Ok, done."
Post-change:
"Here is a body. I am going to revive it. Ok, done."

What an amazing and substantial change. I am impressed. What a world of difference you pretended existed and which I pointed out multiple times did not, which is why most of the focus was on poorer medics that this change was trying to improve, because they were the change was talking exclusively about people who don't do this. Because this change only could affect those medics in any way.

Except for one thing. This change could affect decent medics in one way.

Post-change:
"Here is a body. I am going to revive it. Oh no! I messed up! Whelp, time to take extra time to revive him despite doing my best."

So it makes the experience of well intentioned medics WORSE, because it punishes inexperienced medics harder.

You never actually pointed out how this change would be a good thing. You just constantly insist it isn't a bad thing and somehow will make things better except for bad medics, but then turn around and admit bad medics won't care. If anyone is flipflopping it is you because you refuse to actually take a stand and argue for any benefits. You just consistently deny any downsides by trying to change the focus of the discussion or artificially limit who we can think about.

Most importantly, a "Fuck you bad medics" spite change mostly negatively affects players who had nothing to do with deciding how they would be treated, which is why I find your atttiude especially disgusting. By refusing to think about bad medics, you are refusing to think of the end result of trying to make things harder for lazy medics, mainly even longer wait times for people at that cloner that you clearly care about.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #57009

You keep arguing about good medics and shit medics, when the fact of the matter is, THE MAJORITY of downed people are found by non medics, and taken to medbay LONG before a medic knows or finds them. This is nothing against the skill of a medic, simple facts are
A: There aren't a lot of field medics around, there are a lot of non medics around
B: Not everyone has access to suit sensors
C: Not everyone has suit sensors on
D: Medics can't go everywhere

And honestly if people actually use their medipens, a crit person should live long enough to get to medbay, assuming they're not getting dragged through a hostile environment.

Edit: So to clarify, even if this change is made to ONLY effect crit people, ignoring any other unitended effects, it means the majority of injured people are going to get treatment far, far slower, and antags will just have to stun, cuff and drag instead of... stun, drag and crit? Uhuh.
Last edited by lumipharon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57011

Alright. Lets talk about non-medics rescuing people then.

It is clear that Saegrmir thought that this change would improve outcomes.

How would slowing down the rate people get to medbay improve outcomes?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57026

lumipharon wrote:Edit: So to clarify, even if this change is made to ONLY effect crit people, ignoring any other unitended effects, it means the majority of injured people are going to get treatment far, far slower, and antags will just have to stun, cuff and drag instead of... stun, drag and crit? Uhuh.
The time you spend cuffing someone is significant, you should know this as someone who plays Sec often. You'd also probably understand how frustrating it is to chase someone that is pulling someone else to escape from you (either by stealing your prisoner, trying to get away with their target so they can space them after they beat them to death in front of everyone in front of the bridge or something), beating them in the skull the entire way effectively moonwalking while pulling another person at maximum speed. Or dragging a locker behind them while they escape to block your tazer/disabler shots.

Ideally, for bodies, it would be for anybody laying on the ground. How feasible this actually is code-wise I don't know, but considering this is just an arguement about ideas it really doesn't matter at that point.
dezzmont wrote:Alright. Lets talk about non-medics rescuing people then.

It is clear that Saegrmir thought that this change would improve outcomes.

How would slowing down the rate people get to medbay improve outcomes?
I never once said slowing down dragging would improve outcomes for players being dragged back to medbay. Congratulations.

This would improve the likelihood that as your gasping body is being dragged around that someone would be able to stop them and do something worthwhile instead of letting you die as your teeth are being polished against the floor tiles.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57056

dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
dezzmont wrote:

You completely jumped the shark here. I did not assume all medics were shit, I made it clear some medics were awesome.

I also didn't really flip flop, please point out to me where I did.

You just reiterated my entire argument. This will do absolutely nothing to change anyone's behavior besides possibly make it worse. If good medics wont care... and bad medics won't care...
who is going to care?

You just overtly stated good medics already do on site revives.

You just overtly stated that bad medics will not really care about this change.

So what are you trying to do? Can you seriously answer that question? If you recognize bad medics won't change their behavior or react to this change, and that good medics are already preforming the behavior that this change is attempting to encourage, then you are, if you are aware of it or not, highlighting that the change has absolutely no point or reason to exist.
Speaking of shark jumping. You just pretended the rest of this thread didn't exist to pretend I'd just agreed with you.

Good medics go out and actually treat patients. Shit medics don't because they never leave the medbay. I'm being real serious here. You're losing content by trying to be verbose and its getting you nowhere because all you're doing is spending line after line repeating a zero content jab. I've already enumerated the reasons I, as a medic, want to see this change.

The issue was never retard medics dragging people to medbay. It was retard non-medics dragging people to medbay and leaving them there for shit medics to ignore/handle poorly (usually while being chased by actual medics trying to treat those patients.) That's the whole content of the medic issue in two lines. All of the extra fluff about "cloning is faster!!!1" etc is all fluff brought up to cloud the actual reasons for the proposed change.

1) A functional nerf to unfun and uninterestingly unbalanced antag tactics (drag-fu)
2) A quality of life change for medics not having to chase patients down hallways.

Lets not talk about goldfish if you're busy muddying the waters and throwing a fit.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #57058

Can we lock this thread yet?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #57066

WeeYakk wrote:Can we lock this thread yet?
Why? It's a valid idea. The discussion generated here is very good and enlightening.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #57074

MisterPerson wrote:
Why? It's a valid idea. The discussion generated here is very good and enlightening.
71% of the voters said they don't want a slow in the body dragging,didn't care, or said it should stay the same but add some damage. I think it's settled that the players said no.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #57080

71% people about 57 people.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57083

RG4 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
71% of the voters said they don't want a slow in the body dragging,didn't care, or said it should stay the same but add some damage. I think it's settled that the players said no.
TIL strawpolls invalidate discussion
Also, grouping all of those together is disingenuous as fuck.
Steelpoint wrote:71% people about 57 people.
8 of which have participated in the thread beyond "lol realism" or "yeah naw" tier one-off posts.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #57091

cedarbridge wrote:
RG4 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
TIL strawpolls invalidate discussion
Also, grouping all of those together is disingenuous as fuck.
8 of which have participated in the thread beyond "lol realism" or "yeah naw" tier one-off posts.
We don't need the other 49 people to submit fucking essays or just empty quote people they agree with for their opinions to be valid.
MisterPerson wrote:
Just like most locked threads. The difference here is that you like the idea and the people that don't aren't forum mods. We're already talking in circles and veering off topic.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57093

RG4 wrote:71% of the voters said they don't want a slow in the body dragging,didn't care, or said it should stay the same but add some damage. I think it's settled that the players said no.
Because unanimous decisions in polls has meant something before. HAHAHAHAHA

Either way we're just entertaining the idea of "If this were a thing, what would it affect and how" which is a good baseline for any potential change be it now or in the future when something like this will inevitably come up again. Maybe in the future other mechanics will have changed so that this will be a highly desired feature, or the next logical step.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #57105

Tfw the people that support this change have bashed me in the past for not caring about polls and now are trying to defend poll numbers being against them

Or maybe forum polls are just garbage
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #57114

Kee-fuckin-rist I have no idea what is going on anymore.

C-can uh can someone tl;dr that bigass debate going on between Dezz and Sae for me.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #57138

Saeg and cedar really want the change for anti antag so every inconvenience is being disregarded something something if you drag people to help them you are a bad player or stupid or I dunno.

Everyone nitpicking consistency. The guy nitpicked posts and says they first nitpicker is inconsistent one, repeat. Chasing patients down hallways? I dunno only patients I usually need to chase are still walking. Contempt of polls to the point of advocating the minority option. Dez said it might make people more likely to use a cloner, cloner lines still bad.

Weird debate about medic quality. Mostly a competition of negative and positive terms. Saeg thinks change is medic neutral since it won't shift play style or a good medic is always supplied or something.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #57169

Ultimantly is the feature going to be enjoyable for the people affected, or will it complicate things for people for little benefit?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #57217

I think poll numbers are important. I changed my vote to support the change, because it will help prevent bullshit kidnappings in front of crowds. However if most people don't want it i accept that it is not going to happen. Easy peasy.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #57219

WeeYakk wrote:We don't need the other 49 people to submit fucking essays or just empty quote people they agree with for their opinions to be valid.
Yes, we do.

Because if someone replies "fuck no", someone will tell them their post is shitty and useless (I can even find examples of that happening) and they will be right.

Somehow when it's a poll, these "opinions" are considered useful.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57389

Steelpoint wrote:Ultimantly is the feature going to be enjoyable for the people affected, or will it complicate things for people for little benefit?
Medics: Don't have to chase people down hallways to treat them because a bystander saw a body and started turboing off to medbay with them.
Patients: Can be treated without having to be drug to medbay to die at its front doors as the medic chasing their gasping body arrives in time to see them die.
Antags: Lose drag-fu. I'm not gonna shed any tears about this one really.
Sec: Depending on iteration may or may not have some slowdown if they stun and drag their arrested targets while they're laying down. Disabling rest while cuffed was a suggested QoL trade-off to make this a bit more reasonable overall.
Victims of Antags: Don't same as patients and benefit from the removed drag-fu via ability of security and bystanders to respond to the drive-by antag.

Overall, its pretty net beneficial.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #57506

cedarbridge wrote:
Medics: Don't have to chase people down hallways to treat them because a bystander saw a body and started turboing off to medbay with them.
Patients: Can be treated without having to be drug to medbay to die at its front doors as the medic chasing their gasping body arrives in time to see them die.
Antags: Lose drag-fu. I'm not gonna shed any tears about this one really.
Sec: Depending on iteration may or may not have some slowdown if they stun and drag their arrested targets while they're laying down. Disabling rest while cuffed was a suggested QoL trade-off to make this a bit more reasonable overall.
Victims of Antags: Don't same as patients and benefit from the removed drag-fu via ability of security and bystanders to respond to the drive-by antag.

Overall, its pretty net beneficial.
1. People will just ignore the bodies and maybe put a quick call in for a medic.
2. Only shit medics or unprepared ones drag patients to medbay that dont require surgery.3
3. You should care because the recent trend of nerfing antags because "a little nerf wont hurt" x10000 is starting to catch up
4. People will find a way to turn this against sec causing headache for sec players. There is a reason sec is one of the last jobs to get filled up. People get really tired of this shit.
5. See three and one.

Overall it is pretty net shit. It will implement a change that will do nothing but piss a lot of players off. This isnt even counting the fact that if applied to things like ore crates would already nerf miners EVEN FARTHER into that whole that coders seem to be digging for them.
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #57512

I'm not reading these pages of arguments, I don't have the time.

Don't nerf pulling, it'll be even more impossible to recover people from hull breaches/areas with changing air pressure. Plus I'd bet this would be used as an excuse to fuck up pulling objects, which means anyone pulling anything ever will hate the fact that they have to move at a walking pace down the hallway. Think of how fucking annoying it'll be for miners to drag bodies/ore boxes.

Just shorten crit.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #57522

I'm willing to bet that I've played medic more than the vast majority of players on the server over the past four years - and I oppose this change.

Rescue on the frontlines - be it battle or breach - is already hard enough. God knows, at least some people actually TRY to drag people to medbay nowadays... if they're slowed down when doing so, then I bet a number of them won't bother anymore.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57575

Feretal wrote:I'm not reading these pages of arguments, I don't have the time.

Don't nerf pulling, it'll be even more impossible to recover people from hull breaches/areas with changing air pressure. Plus I'd bet this would be used as an excuse to fuck up pulling objects, which means anyone pulling anything ever will hate the fact that they have to move at a walking pace down the hallway. Think of how fucking annoying it'll be for miners to drag bodies/ore boxes.
Given that space and spacewind doesn't break your grab anymore, no, no it wouldn't.
Feretal

Post by Feretal » #57578

Pulling anything in space or near a hull breach is super slow already though. Adding a slowdown to dragging means that you still have trouble retrieving bodies, even if it won't break your grab.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57630

Feretal wrote:Pulling anything in space or near a hull breach is super slow already though. Adding a slowdown to dragging means that you still have trouble retrieving bodies, even if it won't break your grab.
Unless you're jumping into space naked, there's no noticable slowdown.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #57687

I don't think the slowdown is necessary, but needing a free hand is, just for the sake of consistency. I mean come on, dual wielding guns and pulling ANYTHING is just silly as fuck.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #57693

cedarbridge wrote:
Feretal wrote:I'm not reading these pages of arguments, I don't have the time.

Given that space and spacewind doesn't break your grab anymore, no, no it wouldn't.
Given that it is already hard to pull someone back in against space wind if you are cold (even if they dont get pulled out of your grasp), yes, yes it would make it harder.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57696

"Lets make something harder to do."
"But it will make it really hard in already adverse conditions!"
"No it wouldn't. It wouldn't make it harder at all!'

What? A slowdown makes a rescue in any adverse condition harder, from gunfights to space to spiderling swarms.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57741

dezzmont wrote:"Lets make something harder to do."

What? A slowdown makes a rescue in any adverse condition harder, from gunfights to space to spiderling swarms.
Of all people I'd never expect to oversimplify.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #57743

But the slowdown wouldn't affect body bags or roller beds, encouraging them to be used by doctors trying to rescue corposes/crit people. It would also make doctors better at rescuing people, which is good
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57746

I thought it was pretty stupid that shit keeps getting pulled out of your hands anyway when dragging it because of a change in atmos pressure.
Like damn spessmens can tear down walls in less than 20 seconds and pull lockers with 20 bodies in it, but are too limp-wristed to keep a grip against some wind.

The free hand Pap mentioned and better grip on things would be a separate PR i'd like to see for sure.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57749

cedarbridge wrote:

It isn't an oversimplification. It is just the least wordy way I can point out how fundementally flawed the logic of "Making stuff slower won't force you to expose yourself to danger longer." It makes no sense, and I don't need to dress things up pretty to point that out.

If things are slower, you are exposed to damaging tiles for longer, and many hazard tiles already include their own slowdown mechanics. Should be on its face true to anyone here, so I figured I would spare people the paragraph. Please tell me if that is not the case.
Saegrimr wrote:I thought it was pretty stupid that shit keeps getting pulled out of your hands anyway when dragging it because of a change in atmos pressure.
Like damn spessmens can tear down walls in less than 20 seconds and pull lockers with 20 bodies in it, but are too limp-wristed to keep a grip against some wind.

The free hand Pap mentioned and better grip on things would be a separate PR i'd like to see for sure.
I agree, but I am curious about the technical side. I don't think pull differentiates between any method of movement right now so you would need to somehow make it so that pulls can differentiate between the sources of movement.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57759

dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

It isn't an oversimplification. It is just the least wordy way I can point out how fundementally flawed the logic of "Making stuff slower won't force you to expose yourself to danger longer." It makes no sense, and I don't need to dress things up pretty to point that out.

If things are slower, you are exposed to damaging tiles for longer, and many hazard tiles already include their own slowdown mechanics. Should be on its face true to anyone here, so I figured I would spare people the paragraph. Please tell me if that is not the case.
What kind of idiot jumps into space naked to retrieve a body?
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57762

cedarbridge wrote:
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

Plenty of people will try to pull someone that is a tile or two in space right now, or pull people when an explosion goes off causing a hole. Firesuit pulls are also a thing, which still recieve slow down but not as much at the moment making popping into a room with no air to save someone currently pretty viable. Pretending everyone is always going to be in a suit at all time is pretty dumb, and saying it is naked is even worse. Then you are ignoring stuff like fires entirely, which currently don't cause noticable slowdown but are extremely lethal if you don't exit fire tiles right away, meaning fire resuces are nearly impossible. Then there is pulling during a firefight, which is a common defensive tactic for unarmed onlookers who are canny. Nothing turns a conflict more than dragging the HoS off screen for him to get unstunned and back up.

If anyone is grossly oversimplifying it is you, because you are insisting that under no situations anyone would ever willingly pull someone else in a remotely dangerous situation even though pulls are used for that exact purpose often, and you try to make the situations where pulling at high speed is vital seem trivial or silly by reducing them to "Pulling people in space naked." Slowing pulls noticably will make pull largely useless for rescuing people from combat, simple mobs, or cold and heat threats, let alone space.

Unless you want to say that no one should bother trying that anyway and that removing that really interesting dynamic from the game would somehow be good, because god knows we need to reduce the way to interact with a conflict other than stuns. Fuck low skill maneuvers that highly reward co-operation and role-playing with the crew to make people give a shit about you.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57763

dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

Plenty of people will try to pull someone that is a tile or two in space right now, or pull people when an explosion goes off causing a hole. Firesuit pulls are also a thing, which still recieve slow down but not as much at the moment making popping into a room with no air to save someone currently pretty viable. Pretending everyone is always going to be in a suit at all time is pretty dumb, and saying it is naked is even worse. Then you are ignoring stuff like fires entirely, which currently don't cause noticable slowdown but are extremely lethal if you don't exit fire tiles right away, meaning fire resuces are nearly impossible. Then there is pulling during a firefight, which is a common defensive tactic for unarmed onlookers who are canny. Nothing turns a conflict more than dragging the HoS off screen for him to get unstunned and back up.

If anyone is grossly oversimplifying it is you, because you are insisting that under no situations anyone would ever willingly pull someone else in a remotely dangerous situation even though pulls are used for that exact purpose often, and you try to make the situations where pulling at high speed is vital seem trivial or silly by reducing them to "Pulling people in space naked." Slowing pulls noticably will make pull largely useless for rescuing people from combat, simple mobs, or cold and heat threats, let alone space.

Unless you want to say that no one should bother trying that anyway and that removing that really interesting dynamic from the game would somehow be good, because god knows we need to reduce the way to interact with a conflict other than stuns.
You're doing it again. You're treating a slowdown as a negation of all drags. You'd want a reader to believe that if a drag were made slower that suddenly people won't be able to drag people out of fires because speed is either turbo or stationary. Its a false image you're presenting.

Also, firesuits being used in space is fucking retarded.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57764

I am not treating slowdowns as a negation of drags. Re-read what I wrote. I am saying that many threats cause damage ticks assuming that you get out of them extremely quickly (Heat threats) or will absolutely destroy you if you get caught (Spiderling swarms, simple mobs in general).

Slowing drag down will make dragging in those situations pretty much unfeasable. Heat threats can already kill you before you can cross some of the larger rooms for example. Any noticable slow down would make dragging in these sitautions pretty hard, and would dramatically increase the lethality of acts of kindness, encouraging really shitty selfish play.

And firesuits in space are a huge thing and have been very deliberately tweaked to allow mild spacewalks for game balance reasons. The fact you think a way to survive space tiles for about 10 seconds exists is bullshit really speaks a lot on this topic.

While, no, slowing down drag won't make these situations impossible, at least I am not pretending they are not affected at all or trying to downplay how common these situations are "Because naked in space." The change would make rescuing people in dangerous situations noticably harder, anyone with a brainstem can figure that out, and trying to dance around that issue and pretend it doesn't exist is what really is a criminal oversimplification.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57785

dezzmont wrote:I am not treating slowdowns as a negation of drags. Re-read what I wrote. I am saying that many threats cause damage ticks assuming that you get out of them extremely quickly (Heat threats) or will absolutely destroy you if you get caught (Spiderling swarms, simple mobs in general).
The only one of these two that matters seriously (I suppose) is heat threats, but those were already fairly devistating. Simple mobs already don't attack incapacitated (sleeping or crit/KO'd) mobs or characters. There's no heroics there except extracting them around the mob (which is probably hostile to the rescuer and is generally more of a threat to the rescuer than bleedout to the primary.
dezzmont wrote:Slowing drag down will make dragging in those situations pretty much unfeasable. Heat threats can already kill you before you can cross some of the larger rooms for example. Any noticable slow down would make dragging in these sitautions pretty hard, and would dramatically increase the lethality of acts of kindness, encouraging really shitty selfish play.
Players aren't entirely stupid. If the current mode of dragracing to safety doesn't work new methods can prevail. You're making an assumption that it will have to enter into some sort of selfish darkage or something. Currently, disaster containment is a secondary concern. Fires are rarely stopped until they're already in full pitch and probably burn themselves out. This is confusing considering we have so many strong tools for putting out those fires. That's because they really aren't a threat currently. You either get caught in the flash and flood, or you get dragraced(or rush yourself) out of the fire. There's no danger of an approaching fire and minimal reason to contain it. Its just going to burn out anyway. What you assume will produce "selfish" play can just as well breed more specialized (and properly geared) rescuing. In any case, you're going out of your way to assume the worst case in player behavior without anything but an assertion.
dezzmont wrote:And firesuits in space are a huge thing and have been very deliberately tweaked to allow mild spacewalks for game balance reasons. The fact you think a way to survive space tiles for about 10 seconds exists is bullshit really speaks a lot on this topic.
You left this one hanging. Because I believe that a nonsensical item providing an effect one should not expect is silly, that says what about my position on body dragging or space rescues? You're not even making sense. (much like spacewalks with fire suits or expecting to be able to jump into space for extended periods of time without protection and to be totally unaffected by those conditions.) I'm not really sure what the allergy to using tools that actually fit the occasion is. If somebody needs to go to space, they should generally be seeking gear to allow use of space. Complaining that you cannot operate optimally in space without that gear is frankly baffling. Of course not all gear is plentiful, but that's kinda the point. Gear scarcity exists (mostly) for space reasons and to a degree for balance reasons.
dezzmont wrote:While, no, slowing down drag won't make these situations impossible, at least I am not pretending they are not affected at all or trying to downplay how common these situations are "Because naked in space." The change would make rescuing people in dangerous situations noticably harder, anyone with a brainstem can figure that out, and trying to dance around that issue and pretend it doesn't exist is what really is a criminal oversimplification.
You're making that phrase mean something it never meant. If I jump into space with a jumpsuit on, I'm about as protected (in most cases) as I would be naked. The concept is that people doing dangerous things without using appropriate gear should EXPECT to be inconvenienced. I'd never expect to have a grand time in a fire without fire protection and internals. The same way I'd never expect to function perfectly in space without a suit and internals. "But pulling people inside will be harder!" no shit. Its supposed to be hard. Its space. You are not adequately geared to operate in space. Math.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57798

cedarbridge wrote: The only one of these two that matters seriously (I suppose) is heat threats, but those were already fairly devistating. Simple mobs already don't attack incapacitated (sleeping or crit/KO'd) mobs or characters. There's no heroics there except extracting them around the mob (which is probably hostile to the rescuer and is generally more of a threat to the rescuer than bleedout to the primary.
That is my entire point. Mobs attacking a rescuer can very quickly kill them if they are not able to escape, resulting in two dead bodies. That is the entire point, the risk to the rescuer is being increased. In many cases the person being "rescued" is already dead, and it is a corpse retrieval to get them back into the game.
cedarbridge wrote:Players aren't entirely stupid. If the current mode of dragracing to safety doesn't work new methods can prevail.
Stop. Name a method. You don't get to account for emergent gameplay in this sort of design. If you remove or change a big system you need to account for what will replace it. You don't get to ignore that question with "The players will figure it out." That shit leads to stuff like the 3.5 Truenamer.
cedarbridge wrote:You're making an assumption that it will have to enter into some sort of selfish darkage or something. Currently, disaster containment is a secondary concern. Fires are rarely stopped until they're already in full pitch and probably burn themselves out. This is confusing considering we have so many strong tools for putting out those fires. That's because they really aren't a threat currently. You either get caught in the flash and flood, or you get dragraced(or rush yourself) out of the fire. There's no danger of an approaching fire and minimal reason to contain it. Its just going to burn out anyway. What you assume will produce "selfish" play can just as well breed more specialized (and properly geared) rescuing. In any case, you're going out of your way to assume the worst case in player behavior without anything but an assertion.
This is an entirely seperate change. Saying that removing one of the only current ways used to improve the outcome of a fire doesn't automatically mean other ways will be used. And I am not going out of my way to assume worst case behavior, we can model our expectations on existing player behavior. Players rarely, for example, expose themselves to risk to fight a fire because there is no real gain unless the area is critical and fighting a fire requires you to stay in it for extended periods of time due to the fire code, or understanding atmos pretty well, or having some really high end chemist grenade play and interdepartmental co-operation with botany to boot, or access to an RCD and a willingness to create an entirely different and much longer lasting problem. Meanwhile they do expose themselves to risk to help others esacpe a fire because while there is still a noticable risk, you can consistently survive if you know what you are doing and have minimal protections. We understand based on many common reactions to common scenarios that players generally are extremely risk adverse and tend to only undertake actions with guarenteed rates of sucess. We could talk about the alternative to rescuing people if the players had low risk tools to fight fires, and we really should make some, for real, fire fighting is kinda not worth it at all using anything but lazy atmos or expert atmos, but as is this is a moot point here.
cedarbridge wrote:You left this one hanging. Because I believe that a nonsensical item providing an effect one should not expect is silly, that says what about my position on body dragging or space rescues? You're not even making sense. (much like spacewalks with fire suits or expecting to be able to jump into space for extended periods of time without protection and to be totally unaffected by those conditions.) I'm not really sure what the allergy to using tools that actually fit the occasion is. If somebody needs to go to space, they should generally be seeking gear to allow use of space. Complaining that you cannot operate optimally in space without that gear is frankly baffling. Of course not all gear is plentiful, but that's kinda the point. Gear scarcity exists (mostly) for space reasons and to a degree for balance reasons.
The tools to actually engage in a spacewalk are super rare, and generally exist with about a 1:10 ratio on most days but can dive to 1:18 on a big day, meaning a large hole in the station requires a ghetto response if more than 1/10th, maybe, of the station is going to stay in play. Firesuits are deliberately rather common if you know where to find them because it allows players to interact with space using sub-par tools, while still maintaining the obvious utility of space suits, as well as their functionality as something that generally conceals your equipment and role. Because you often times won't have access to the right tools, either due to being denied them or because you can't access them. At the very least a firesuit allows you to leap across a small hole in the station to reach EVA or escape, and at best allows you to save a corpse floating in a bomb site. Saying firesuits helping you in space is retarded says a lot about your ability to think about gameplay because it is probably one of the most designed aspects of the SS13 map, and just writing off a very major and deliberate act of balance as dumb without any justification shows that you really don't think anything through and are limited to simple surface level explorations of the game. The fact it isn't realistic doesn't tie into game balance, realisim is more of something you pay with in exchange for good gameplay rather than a feature of its own. While it is not realistic, it is important, and saying "That is duuuumb" without thinking about why it is the way that it is really says a lot about how you think about this game: In an extremely shallow way. By all means we could talk about the actual gameplay effects of having very minor space protection, but calling something stupid without explaining why at all is migrane inducing. You don't get to call stuff dumb as an argument, you are presumably an adult, so step up your game. Gear scarcity is indeed something designed into the game, but if you actually think that a firesuit serves all the functions a space suit does I suspect you never have been forced to ghetto space walk. The spacesuit is optimal for extended EVA action which allows you to do many interesting things such as EVA break ins, construction, extended rescues using suit sensors, or even just allowing you to cross multiple gaps in the station at once. Without a lot of anti-burn chemicals a fire suit does not serve any of these functions, it is essentially only good for rescuing people who were clumsily spaced and landed near an airlock or crossing minor gaps in space.

cedarbridge wrote:You're making that phrase mean something it never meant. If I jump into space with a jumpsuit on, I'm about as protected (in most cases) as I would be naked. The concept is that people doing dangerous things without using appropriate gear should EXPECT to be inconvenienced. I'd never expect to have a grand time in a fire without fire protection and internals. The same way I'd never expect to function perfectly in space without a suit and internals. "But pulling people inside will be harder!" no shit. Its supposed to be hard. Its space. You are not adequately geared to operate in space. Math.
Your language had a very specific effect, even if you yourself do not realize it. You used hyperbolic language that made something common and interesting seem ridiculous and rare. So I didn't make it something that it wasn't already, I was pointing out what effect the phrase had.

Now here is actually start talking about the actual game, by adressing the fact you think rescuing people from space should be hard. But you do it from a lens of again what you think would maintain maximum realisim rather than actually being good for gameplay. A corpse rescue from space being extremely hard causes problems, as does making any unprotected contact with space super lethal or debilitating. If you ever played on bay you would know what I am talking about. Holes in the station are actually one of the easiest things to create in the game, requiring only a basic toolbox in many areas, forget about bombs, C4, shooting out windows, RCDs, all sorts of things. It is why fire is deliberately more lethal than space, because it is actually harder to cause a large fire rather than depressurize a large area of the station. Small localized depressurizations, therefore, are designed around being somewhere between "A thing that is a problem we need to get on right away" and "Annoying." It takes only 5 clicks to remove all the air from one of the most important hallways in the game, and this is a deliberate mapping choice. It is also fully possible to just run across this hallway because it is meant to be annoying rather than lethal. Even large depressurization is much less lethal than it would be in real life, ZAS shows how much fun realistic highly lethal and inconvinient mass depressuirzation would be. As is we have an oversimplified pressure code that is designed to make the difference between space and an interior tile very contained and local for a lot of reasons. One is that someone being able to open an airlock and drag someone in really only serves to help improve someone's play experience, and another is that it is very easy to just stumble inside a depressurized area while walking about and not realize it until you are 10 tiles in.

This is all starting to get really off topic though, more of an atmos discussion than one about dragging.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #57866

dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: The only one of these two that matters seriously (I suppose) is heat threats, but those were already fairly devistating. Simple mobs already don't attack incapacitated (sleeping or crit/KO'd) mobs or characters. There's no heroics there except extracting them around the mob (which is probably hostile to the rescuer and is generally more of a threat to the rescuer than bleedout to the primary.
That is my entire point. Mobs attacking a rescuer can very quickly kill them if they are not able to escape, resulting in two dead bodies. That is the entire point, the risk to the rescuer is being increased. In many cases the person being "rescued" is already dead, and it is a corpse retrieval to get them back into the game.
Corpse retrieval has never been an immediate needs thing. Ever. If you're risking immediate death to grab a corpse, that's called "being stupid." Its not the job of every feature to consider that the player will choose the stupidest possible action and plan accordingly to make that also a good idea.
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Players aren't entirely stupid. If the current mode of dragracing to safety doesn't work new methods can prevail.
Stop. Name a method. You don't get to account for emergent gameplay in this sort of design. If you remove or change a big system you need to account for what will replace it. You don't get to ignore that question with "The players will figure it out." That shit leads to stuff like the 3.5 Truenamer.
[/quote]
Nice of you to cut this section off and remove it from the rest of the paragraph so you can claim it was unsupported. Very clever rusing in place of an argument. I can account for emergent gameplay because that's what SS13 is. A set of tools and vague (if followed) objectives set loose to produce a different result every round. Emergent is exactly what everything in SS13 gameplay is. That's entirely besides the point. As I discussed, a reduction in "oh I can just speeddrag this body to cloning" gives way to "Oh, I guess I have to actually do something about the fire before I worry about corpse retrieval." Again, you're assuming stupid people are playing with a stupid system. That's shitty design philosophy. Stop it.
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:You're making an assumption that it will have to enter into some sort of selfish darkage or something. Currently, disaster containment is a secondary concern. Fires are rarely stopped until they're already in full pitch and probably burn themselves out. This is confusing considering we have so many strong tools for putting out those fires. That's because they really aren't a threat currently. You either get caught in the flash and flood, or you get dragraced(or rush yourself) out of the fire. There's no danger of an approaching fire and minimal reason to contain it. Its just going to burn out anyway. What you assume will produce "selfish" play can just as well breed more specialized (and properly geared) rescuing. In any case, you're going out of your way to assume the worst case in player behavior without anything but an assertion.
This is an entirely seperate change. Saying that removing one of the only current ways used to improve the outcome of a fire doesn't automatically mean other ways will be used. And I am not going out of my way to assume worst case behavior, we can model our expectations on existing player behavior. Players rarely, for example, expose themselves to risk to fight a fire because there is no real gain unless the area is critical and fighting a fire requires you to stay in it for extended periods of time due to the fire code, or understanding atmos pretty well, or having some really high end chemist grenade play and interdepartmental co-operation with botany to boot, or access to an RCD and a willingness to create an entirely different and much longer lasting problem. Meanwhile they do expose themselves to risk to help others esacpe a fire because while there is still a noticable risk, you can consistently survive if you know what you are doing and have minimal protections. We understand based on many common reactions to common scenarios that players generally are extremely risk adverse and tend to only undertake actions with guarenteed rates of sucess. We could talk about the alternative to rescuing people if the players had low risk tools to fight fires, and we really should make some, for real, fire fighting is kinda not worth it at all using anything but lazy atmos or expert atmos, but as is this is a moot point here.
Expecting players to continue to use outdated tools and methods in the face of change is a waste of time and just invalidates discussion and the function of change. With this same logic, we'd assume that players would shoot single disabler beams at people from eguns after the stun changes and assume it would stun people. If you remove an option, the option is no longer part of the decision matrix. Also, you're treating firefighting like some sort of arcane art that requires every department on the station to function. That is especially strange since there's a department with all the needed tools to fight fires all by itself. Even extinguishers and siphons that can mitigate those fires. The tools exist, but they aren't used because the alternative is to just let the fire burn. And really, unless that corpse is essential NOBODY rushes into a fire for a body in the status quo. Not one person.
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:You left this one hanging. Because I believe that a nonsensical item providing an effect one should not expect is silly, that says what about my position on body dragging or space rescues? You're not even making sense. (much like spacewalks with fire suits or expecting to be able to jump into space for extended periods of time without protection and to be totally unaffected by those conditions.) I'm not really sure what the allergy to using tools that actually fit the occasion is. If somebody needs to go to space, they should generally be seeking gear to allow use of space. Complaining that you cannot operate optimally in space without that gear is frankly baffling. Of course not all gear is plentiful, but that's kinda the point. Gear scarcity exists (mostly) for space reasons and to a degree for balance reasons.
The tools to actually engage in a spacewalk are super rare, and generally exist with about a 1:10 ratio on most days but can dive to 1:18 on a big day, meaning a large hole in the station requires a ghetto response if more than 1/10th, maybe, of the station is going to stay in play. Firesuits are deliberately rather common if you know where to find them because it allows players to interact with space using sub-par tools, while still maintaining the obvious utility of space suits, as well as their functionality as something that generally conceals your equipment and role. Because you often times won't have access to the right tools, either due to being denied them or because you can't access them. At the very least a firesuit allows you to leap across a small hole in the station to reach EVA or escape, and at best allows you to save a corpse floating in a bomb site. Saying firesuits helping you in space is retarded says a lot about your ability to think about gameplay because it is probably one of the most designed aspects of the SS13 map, and just writing off a very major and deliberate act of balance as dumb without any justification shows that you really don't think anything through and are limited to simple surface level explorations of the game. The fact it isn't realistic doesn't tie into game balance, realisim is more of something you pay with in exchange for good gameplay rather than a feature of its own. While it is not realistic, it is important, and saying "That is duuuumb" without thinking about why it is the way that it is really says a lot about how you think about this game: In an extremely shallow way. By all means we could talk about the actual gameplay effects of having very minor space protection, but calling something stupid without explaining why at all is migrane inducing. You don't get to call stuff dumb as an argument, you are presumably an adult, so step up your game. Gear scarcity is indeed something designed into the game, but if you actually think that a firesuit serves all the functions a space suit does I suspect you never have been forced to ghetto space walk. The spacesuit is optimal for extended EVA action which allows you to do many interesting things such as EVA break ins, construction, extended rescues using suit sensors, or even just allowing you to cross multiple gaps in the station at once. Without a lot of anti-burn chemicals a fire suit does not serve any of these functions, it is essentially only good for rescuing people who were clumsily spaced and landed near an airlock or crossing minor gaps in space.
I'm very amused that you seem to think you get to talk down to me in this discussion as though you were some sort of condescending parent or something. If you can't handle yourself I can see my way out. It doesn't take an application of deep physics secrets to understand that a firesuit should not insulate one from the cold of space. There's no logical connection there. If we're going to say that player expectations are important (as you have so far admitted) then the expectation of a firesuit functioning as a firesuit and not a super quilt that also protects against fires is a pretty simple step. I can say that such a design is stupid, because it is. It requires non-sense logic to even arrive at that sort of design as something one would expect of an item of its sort. Of course its a shallow concept, because there's nothing deep to analyze. Its a firesuit, not a space suit. And no, they aren't spread around the station in large quantities as emergency space suits. If we're going to dictate what one and the other can and cannot use for arguments. This one is stopping until you cite a design document to this effect. Firesuits are on the station as protection against...fires. That's why you find them in places that are likely to have...fires. Science and atmos have firelockers because things burn there. Not because they are exposed to space. The ratio of suits on the station vs the population on the station isn't a shortage as you'd have poeple believe either. Of the 60 people on the station at any given time, how many of them have a reason to be outside the station at any given time? If your answer was "less than the number of suits on the station" you're onto something. The station is not designed to compensate for bizzare events like people jumping out of airlocks on a whim and certainly not designed with the concept of more people in jumpsuits and firesuits chasing them out the airlock. That's absurd. "But you've never done it" isn't an argument either. Its not really anything. Something that never crossed your mind: Firesuits are only insulated because current coding only has one way of maintaining temperature via a single insulation value which applies to both hot and cold equally. To say this was intended so that firesuits could be ghetto spacesuits is reaching beyond the pale.
dezzmont wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:You're making that phrase mean something it never meant. If I jump into space with a jumpsuit on, I'm about as protected (in most cases) as I would be naked. The concept is that people doing dangerous things without using appropriate gear should EXPECT to be inconvenienced. I'd never expect to have a grand time in a fire without fire protection and internals. The same way I'd never expect to function perfectly in space without a suit and internals. "But pulling people inside will be harder!" no shit. Its supposed to be hard. Its space. You are not adequately geared to operate in space. Math.
Your language had a very specific effect, even if you yourself do not realize it. You used hyperbolic language that made something common and interesting seem ridiculous and rare. So I didn't make it something that it wasn't already, I was pointing out what effect the phrase had."
"In my mind it meant something different and that's your fault." I don't even know where to start with that level of strawman logic. It sounds rediculous because it is. It sounds rare because the times where it actually works as you want to describe it are actually pretty damn rare. These "impromptu" or "ghetto" spacewalks usually end with the second party also dead outside the airlock next to the body they planned to pull in. So yes, my assertion and description as accurate.
dezzmont wrote:Now here is actually start talking about the actual game, by adressing the fact you think rescuing people from space should be hard. But you do it from a lens of again what you think would maintain maximum realisim rather than actually being good for gameplay. A corpse rescue from space being extremely hard causes problems, as does making any unprotected contact with space super lethal or debilitating. If you ever played on bay you would know what I am talking about. Holes in the station are actually one of the easiest things to create in the game, requiring only a basic toolbox in many areas, forget about bombs, C4, shooting out windows, RCDs, all sorts of things. It is why fire is deliberately more lethal than space, because it is actually harder to cause a large fire rather than depressurize a large area of the station. Small localized depressurizations, therefore, are designed around being somewhere between "A thing that is a problem we need to get on right away" and "Annoying." It takes only 5 clicks to remove all the air from one of the most important hallways in the game, and this is a deliberate mapping choice. It is also fully possible to just run across this hallway because it is meant to be annoying rather than lethal. Even large depressurization is much less lethal than it would be in real life, ZAS shows how much fun realistic highly lethal and inconvinient mass depressuirzation would be. As is we have an oversimplified pressure code that is designed to make the difference between space and an interior tile very contained and local for a lot of reasons. One is that someone being able to open an airlock and drag someone in really only serves to help improve someone's play experience, and another is that it is very easy to just stumble inside a depressurized area while walking about and not realize it until you are 10 tiles in.

This is all starting to get really off topic though, more of an atmos discussion than one about dragging.
I've actually never said anything about realism. If I did, quote me. If not, keep it out. There's a difference between "realism" and a functional system based on realistic expectations. I can expect that moving around unprotected in space is debilitating. I can understand that on a basic level without the inclusion of extravagant systems like ZAS. Its not a binary issue of "is corpse retrieval easy or hard?" The question should be "is doing something without the appropriate tool worthwhile or feasible? I can't tear down a wall with my hands. I need a welder and a wrench or crowbar for that. I can't handle space for the periods of time generally required for safe corpse retrieval so I need a suit designed for EVA. I don't get to complain that there's no ghetto means to bash down the wall with my teeth or something because that's not the tool for the job. It becomes "extremely difficult" when I willfully ignore the tool needed for that job and decide to complain or brute force a solution. Ad hoc solutions without appropriate tools tend to go to shit. That's how things work.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #57920

cedarbridge wrote: I can't tear down a wall with my hands.
cedarbridge wrote:I don't get to complain that there's no ghetto means to bash down the wall with my teeth
hulk?
Image Image Image
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57947

I'm all for a good argument but damn this got fucking tl;dr.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #58053

Vigilare wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: I can't tear down a wall with my hands.
cedarbridge wrote:I don't get to complain that there's no ghetto means to bash down the wall with my teeth
hulk?
Hulk isn't exactly "ghetto"
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #58097

Literally the biggest walls of text I have seen on /tg/ forums. 10/10
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Feretal

Post by Feretal » #58112

It seems pretty obvious that we can't solve this with massive walls of text. Why not set up a poll on the servers?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #58116

As it stands we still have a two-thirds majority on the "No" option.

I think irrespective of argumentation people have already made up their minds. Whether or not their opinion is justified is irrelevant, just leave it be before it becomes pukeworthy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #58155

DemonFiren wrote:As it stands we still have a two-thirds majority on the "No" option.

I think irrespective of argumentation people have already made up their minds. Whether or not their opinion is justified is irrelevant, just leave it be before it becomes pukeworthy.
Saegrimr wrote:Because unanimous decisions in polls has meant something before. HAHAHAHAHA

Either way we're just entertaining the idea of "If this were a thing, what would it affect and how" which is a good baseline for any potential change be it now or in the future when something like this will inevitably come up again. Maybe in the future other mechanics will have changed so that this will be a highly desired feature, or the next logical step.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #58254

Problem is, you have a lot of maybes just to risk pissing off the player base. That rage is not something I would want to see, I want my bluetext mature, civilised and...wait, who am I kidding.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: