Ion boosters for exosuits?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Deepwoods
Byond Username: Deepwoods

Ion boosters for exosuits?

Post by Deepwoods » #521787

Exosuits currently have no means of any sort of recovery should they end up in the vacuum of space. They just go in whatever direction they fell off forever. If you piloting, you're forced to bail or go on an adventure. Is there any potential or should there be a module to allow exosuits some maneuverability outside of the station?

I'd also be favorable towards a module to make slower mechs like the firefighter have a speed boost at the cost of versatility.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Ion boosters for exosuits?

Post by zxaber » #521795

Oh yeah, mecha thrusters is something I was planning on PRing eventually, thanks for the reminder. It would take an equipment slot and so probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I dunno about the speed boost, though. Currently, what little identity each mech model has is greatly influenced by their set speed. The MK-I Ripley, for example, outpaces every other mech (and greatly outpaces the other APLUs), but pays for it by having a non-airtight cockpit. Meanwhile, the Gygax is more quick-footed than the Durand but misses out on the armor (and defense ability).
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Deepwoods
Byond Username: Deepwoods

Re: Ion boosters for exosuits?

Post by Deepwoods » #521953

zxaber wrote:Oh yeah, mecha thrusters is something I was planning on PRing eventually, thanks for the reminder. It would take an equipment slot and so probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I dunno about the speed boost, though. Currently, what little identity each mech model has is greatly influenced by their set speed. The MK-I Ripley, for example, outpaces every other mech (and greatly outpaces the other APLUs), but pays for it by having a non-airtight cockpit. Meanwhile, the Gygax is more quick-footed than the Durand but misses out on the armor (and defense ability).
Someone brought it up during discussion, but apparently the Dark Gygax has built-in thrusters to start with. So I don't see much of an issue. And I wish I had known that info before I tried kiting one into deep space.

And I agree with the Ripley Mk1. It's an undervalued little monster. That's what I was piloting when I tried to juke said Gygax. Ate 5 rounds to the chest, but my hardsuit thankfully absorbed it. Had to bail from the Ripley, though. As trying to juke someone into space involves juking in the direction of space.