Antag Queue (aka how i learned to stop worrying and not care about antag rolling)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Antag Queue (aka how i learned to stop worrying and not care about antag rolling)

Post by Critawakets » #523489

A system to make people do their freakin job instead of antag rolling needed in this world where at minimum 20% of the server just wants to murderbone. One solution is to make gamemodes less murderboney. The second and more fun way of doing it is to add an Antag Queue and Points system.

Basically, do your job, get points. More points for certain jobs so that people dont just roll assistant and AFK in a corner for their spot in the sun. Doing actions related to your job also gives you points. Like for example, a medical doctor defibs a sentient person who he has not harmed more than 20 points of damage directly or indirectly and that person did not harm themselves to death.

The biggest issue is that people could do antag point farming, but that is really easy to see and admins could just take action while coders tweak the values to prevent this kind of thing.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Antag Queue (aka how i learned to stop worrying and not care about antag rolling)

Post by Farquaar » #523499

To implement this system in a way that doesn’t create a perverse incentive structure just isn’t feasible. Let me illustrate with an example.

How do you judge whether a chef is doing his job? Is it based on the number of dishes cooked? I would imagine that a chef who takes the time to craft menus, RP with crewmembers and farm ingredients for rare, complex dishes will undoubtably receive fewer points than a chef who loads his front counter with slop. No point-based rep system can accurately capture what it means to do one’s job, much less the human creativity that makes SS13 rounds memorable.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Antag Queue (aka how i learned to stop worrying and not care about antag rolling)

Post by oranges » #523510

we already tried this
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #523529

Farquaar wrote:To implement this system in a way that doesn’t create a perverse incentive structure just isn’t feasible. Let me illustrate with an example.

How do you judge whether a chef is doing his job? Is it based on the number of dishes cooked? I would imagine that a chef who takes the time to craft menus, RP with crewmembers and farm ingredients for rare, complex dishes will undoubtably receive fewer points than a chef who loads his front counter with slop. No point-based rep system can accurately capture what it means to do one’s job, much less the human creativity that makes SS13 rounds memorable.
you could just make it basic, as can be, with any job related thing giving the same amount of points for each job.

OR maybe have multiple ways of going about it. but everyone has a limit of 20 points per round.

This though, might incentivize murderbone and make it more annoying to deal with. Because your chance at getting antag is lower because you died early on.
► Show Spoiler
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #523558

The only way you'll ever get rid of murderboning and antag-rolling behavior is via the administrative side of things, but good luck on that one because you will then enter micromanagement hell.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #523567

If you make murderboning illegal I'll quit tg
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #523569

Timonk wrote:If you make murderboning illegal I'll quit tg
Do it no balls
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #525205

oranges wrote:we already tried this
^
it was shit

we've also tried banning murderboning: it was shit
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
GuyonBroadway
Byond Username: GuyonBroadway

Post by GuyonBroadway » #526798

A suggestion for encouraging people to do their jobs and making antag rolling less frustrating.

You start with X% chance to roll antag at the start of a round.

Every round you don't roll antag you gain a small %.
If you are still connected to the game when the shuttle docks with centcom you gain another small%.
If you Escape on the shuttle alive you gain another small %.
You gain a bouns % based on how long the round lasted.
You gain a bonus % based on measurable variables relating to your job.

For example, for medical it would be perhaps % of crew who escaped alive.
For Science it would be an amalgamation of technologies, borgs alive, mechs active and maybe something relating to xenobiology.
Sec just gets a flat bonus thats higher than someone afking but lower than any other department who performs fully optimally.
Engineering gets a bonus based on power generated modifed by station integrity.
Command gets an average of all their underlings.
Captain gets an average of all commands points.

All departments are capped at a certain bonus but it IS modified by round duration.

If you roll antag your % bonus gets reset to 0.

The aim would be to encourage people to take up and DO jobs and not call the shuttle ASAP.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #526803

GuyonBroadway wrote: For example, for medical it would be perhaps % of crew who escaped alive.
For Science it would be an amalgamation of technologies, borgs alive, mechs active and maybe something relating to xenobiology.
Sec just gets a flat bonus thats higher than someone afking but lower than any other department who performs fully optimally.

Good idea until this. This is where you start causing problems
► Show Spoiler
GuyonBroadway
Byond Username: GuyonBroadway

Post by GuyonBroadway » #526815

Shadowflame909 wrote:
GuyonBroadway wrote: For example, for medical it would be perhaps % of crew who escaped alive.

Good idea until this. This is where you start causing problems

The idea was that if the staff do well ergo the heads of staff do well egro the captain and HoP do well, hopefully the suggestion was that success flows up the chain of command.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #526833

In action, people with no call to duty will play jobs they have no reason playing for more points.

how you get Shitter staff members.
► Show Spoiler
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #526851

antag rolling will cease to be a thing when the non antag side of the game is fun. Right now its pretty lacking in most areas
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #526853

i was expecting you to suggest something like a queue for each antag where people are sent to the back each time they roll it, and when selecting antags out of online players it picks the people closest to the front
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #526917

NoxVS wrote:antag rolling will cease to be a thing when the non antag side of the game is fun. Right now its pretty lacking in most areas
>What is lavaland and gateway

Honestly, antag rolling only exists because antag is set up as a lottery. People are incentivized to go 'Ooh im currently burnt out and bored on all these jobs. but think how fun it'll be if I can be traitor" only to get assistant or a job they're burnt out on. So they start minor griefing other players, and causing escalation.

remove that lottery system, remove the grief, remove the antag rolling.
► Show Spoiler