Highlighting important text

A place to record your ideas for the game.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Highlighting important text

Post by soulgamer » #55996

Your name, syndicate code words, AI (if your are playing AI), and other words like this need to be easily visible. I suggest having these bolded and highlighted in the chat box. This way it will be harder to miss them. Maybe let the players add any words or phrases to this list as well.
Xerux
Byond Username: Xerux

Re: Highlighting important text

Post by Xerux » #56008

There's parsing done in adminhelps to detect surnames, forenames and ckeys so this is probably do-able. I'm not sure how it'd affect performance or how you'd do it only for the people it's intended for.

Edit:
Hearing is handled in the Hear() proc, there'd need to be something that adds the mob's surname, forename, codewords, etc to a per-mob list. Then you could do a replacetext check to add <bold></bold> to the word, but it get's trickier when capitalization is involved. (There's probably a better way to do it than what I'm suggesting here.)
Spoiler:
Nolan Field - Various, Solar - Cyborg, Watcher - AI, Honksey - Clown, Sy Lent - Mime, Aveil Nahara - Inactive, Ayden Fryer - Data Lost | Byond, Github
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #56468

its doable but
>having literally every player do expensive string checking operations for lots of phrases every time they hear something
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #56488

Miauw wrote:its doable but
>having literally every player do expensive string checking operations for lots of phrases every time they hear something
Would limiting to just the AI and codeword antags ease the process? Or would it then just check if every player is an antag/AI when they hear something?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #56495

I said this in game in response to a lot of annoyance's in OOC in how Security Officers have a hard time checking the security channel for information.

My idea was to suggest inserting a small "radio chatter" sound whenever someone spoke on the security channel, similar to the radio chatter from military games (Wargame) or the Combine chatter from HL2.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #56500

Steelpoint wrote:My idea was to suggest inserting a small "radio chatter" sound whenever someone spoke on the security channel, similar to the radio chatter from military games (Wargame) or the Combine chatter from HL2.
The game in general needs more audio feedback, but as I understand it sound is quite an expensive operation for BYOND.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.