Contextual Music, thoughts? Ideas?

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

Jack7D1

Byond Username: Jack7D1

Contextual Music, thoughts? Ideas?

Postby Jack7D1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 am #527352

I LOVE when admins play thematic music for the round, it really helps the mood and make you feel excited in a big battle, or terrified and scrambling is the Supermatter is going bad.
Problem is; it's contextual. You have to be careful when to play it since you don't want to telegraph to security that there's a fight somewhere is T-Comms are down; turning it into a form of metacommunication.
You definitely don't want to play something to the whole server because two guys are in a boxing match. I think a balance needs to be found between being too revealing of actions or missing out on actually exciting situations. Could it be played locally for a batch of people, would it get annoying? Any ideas to make this not awful and actually spice up the round for all players and not smother them with Intellectual Techno Hell because they punched a guy by mistake? Perhaps this is something only people can do at proper discretion and isn't going to go anywhere. Perhaps it's the rarity of this in game music that makes it special.
I see this, if implemented, being incredible terrible to the players or incredibly great.
Thoughts?

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Contextual Music, thoughts? Ideas?

Postby wesoda25 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 am #527369

Maybe? I feel as if music should only play based off of location. Like yeah having thunderdome played when you're fighting some dude is cool, but I think it might get annoying everytime you punch someone more than x times. Music being played only for people local to something would be pretty cool - but the code would have to be specific, and even then I feel it would get annoying.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Contextual Music, thoughts? Ideas?

Postby oranges » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 am #527370

the sound engine in byond is limited, and the music admins play is actually coming through an embedded browser window.

So you would have to write a lot of scaffolding to make a js sound engine that interoperates with the game itself.

Return to Ideas