Navigation lines that connect like smart cables

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Navigation lines that connect like smart cables

Post by cacogen » #529436

Spoiler:
One of the reasons the newer maps like Delta and Kilo are less played is because people don't know their way around.

The signs only show general direction.

Hospitals and other large buildings sometimes use lines on the floor or walls to help people find their way around. Valve used them in Half-Life, and they seemed like a natural part of the environment. The gameplay function was invisible.

We already have floor decals to use for this. The only problem is they're a pain to map, like old cables. It'd be better if they worked like smart cables. Smart cables don't need a direction set and connect to adjacent cables by themselves. You'd only need to specify a pixel offset so more than one line could go on the same tile without overlapping.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Navigation lines that connect like smart cables

Post by Flatulent » #529924

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Guide_to_wire_art

Use this thing with spray cans whats the issue

nobody ever makes pipe painter so maybe this will give it purpose? is it possible to make those pipes premapped
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #529926

You can try pixel shifting the current line decals to see why this wouldn't work, they won't properly line up with the tiles anymore if you change direction

It's overkill anyway, you just need to color code the proximity/hallways leading into the departments to help people find their way around. Some map do this but not always.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #529938

What do you think of a pinpointer that points to some atom unique to each department and present on each map, like their mulebot beacons (assuming those still exist)?
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #529945

We should use a special entry airlock or a map-placed marker that would go over the entry airlock. There's many strategies that would work once we have that, such as building an adjacency map, using A*, or taking an angle using simple trig. From there displaying the information to the player is an open book. Draw dynamic lines leading there? Why not! An arrow pointing in that direction? Very easy! Highlights on the hallway airlocks and intersections? Sure! Graphics on the status screens? Fuck it, the world's our oyster.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter