Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Post by CPTANT » #534272

So like the title, instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Most people have a problem with abbreviations, but these words can just be replaced automatically by their full meaning right?

Makes everyone happy, people can type whatever they want and other people don't see this "ugly netspeak".
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Re: Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Post by Critawakets » #534486

Also could add funny changes to the words.

I;E: How GModTower used to change "fuck" to "hug"
am gud enineering
scrungo
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Post by oranges » #534499

or you could just type them out
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #534502

yeah it'd be a better alternative, i'm guessing it wouldn't be hard
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #534610

oranges wrote:or you could just type them out
There are plenty of moments in the game where there is enough tension where I don't want to spend ages on formulating a sentence.

"Good sir, I am obliged to inform you that there are most certainly revolutionaries onboard our most prestigious space station" is rather a mouthful when you skull is getting bashed in.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #535143

learn to type faster
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #535199

you don't need to justify it. obviously it's preferable the offending word is replaced with the appropriate non-acronym, emote or word than your entire message gets cancelled because you accidentally said roundstart instead of shift start
NSFW:

deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #535201

seems like a WYCI moment, I don't think anyone would actually oppose it if you tried to implement it
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535202

CPTANT wrote:
There are plenty of moments in the game where there is enough tension where I don't want to spend ages on formulating a sentence.

"Good sir, I am obliged to inform you that there are most certainly revolutionaries onboard our most prestigious space station" is rather a mouthful when you skull is getting bashed in.
literally just write "there's revs" instead of "its revs" this is a conversation that has been going on for literally years and people still do not get it holy fuck
Limey wrote:its too late.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #535226

deedubya wrote:seems like a WYCI moment, I don't think anyone would actually oppose it if you tried to implement it
you'd think so
NSFW:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535262

Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

literally just write "there's revs" instead of "its revs" this is a conversation that has been going on for literally years and people still do not get it holy fuck
Name one downside to automatically converting it anyway.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #535336

performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535342

oranges wrote:performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.
You are already searching that for the blocking filter.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535378

CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

Name one downside to automatically converting it anyway.
caving to people with dumb complaints encourages them further
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #535388

CPTANT wrote:
oranges wrote:performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.
You are already searching that for the blocking filter.
did you miss the keyword *and replace* ?

Right now it just blocks your entire message, preventing string tree churn.

If you can do it entirely clientside in goonchat with js regex, then that's fine by me.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #535554

Isn't the server already effortlessly doing shit like this for the giant myriad of text modifiers in the game? Drunk text, brain damage, lizards just to name a few. Why would it suddenly be a concern to add one more?

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #535660

because the list of regexes is controlled by the admins and I don't trust them
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #535897

good enough reason for me

Spoiler: