Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

CPTANT

Byond Username: CPTANT

Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Postby CPTANT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 am #534272

So like the title, instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Most people have a problem with abbreviations, but these words can just be replaced automatically by their full meaning right?

Makes everyone happy, people can type whatever they want and other people don't see this "ugly netspeak".

Critawakets

Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Re: Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Postby Critawakets » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 am #534486

Also could add funny changes to the words.

I;E: How GModTower used to change "fuck" to "hug"

am gud enineering
scrungo

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Instead of blocking certain words in chat, why not just have a replacement filter?

Postby oranges » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 am #534499

or you could just type them out

cacogen

Byond Username: Cacogen

Postby cacogen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:41 am #534502

yeah it'd be a better alternative, i'm guessing it wouldn't be hard

CPTANT

Postby CPTANT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:04 pm #534610

oranges wrote:or you could just type them out

There are plenty of moments in the game where there is enough tension where I don't want to spend ages on formulating a sentence.

"Good sir, I am obliged to inform you that there are most certainly revolutionaries onboard our most prestigious space station" is rather a mouthful when you skull is getting bashed in.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Postby oranges » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm #535143

learn to type faster

cacogen

Postby cacogen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 am #535199

you don't need to justify it. obviously it's preferable the offending word is replaced with the appropriate non-acronym, emote or word than your entire message gets cancelled because you accidentally said roundstart instead of shift start

deedubya

Byond Username: Deedubya

Postby deedubya » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 am #535201

seems like a WYCI moment, I don't think anyone would actually oppose it if you tried to implement it
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

Qbopper
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 am #535202

CPTANT wrote:

There are plenty of moments in the game where there is enough tension where I don't want to spend ages on formulating a sentence.

"Good sir, I am obliged to inform you that there are most certainly revolutionaries onboard our most prestigious space station" is rather a mouthful when you skull is getting bashed in.

literally just write "there's revs" instead of "its revs" this is a conversation that has been going on for literally years and people still do not get it holy fuck
Limey wrote:its too late.

cacogen

Postby cacogen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:08 am #535226

deedubya wrote:seems like a WYCI moment, I don't think anyone would actually oppose it if you tried to implement it

you'd think so

CPTANT

Postby CPTANT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am #535262

Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

literally just write "there's revs" instead of "its revs" this is a conversation that has been going on for literally years and people still do not get it holy fuck

Name one downside to automatically converting it anyway.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Postby oranges » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:10 pm #535336

performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.

CPTANT

Postby CPTANT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 pm #535342

oranges wrote:performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.

You are already searching that for the blocking filter.

Qbopper
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 pm #535378

CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

Name one downside to automatically converting it anyway.

caving to people with dumb complaints encourages them further
Limey wrote:its too late.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Postby oranges » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 am #535388

CPTANT wrote:
oranges wrote:performance of search and replace on the byond string tree.

You are already searching that for the blocking filter.

did you miss the keyword *and replace* ?

Right now it just blocks your entire message, preventing string tree churn.

If you can do it entirely clientside in goonchat with js regex, then that's fine by me.

deedubya

Postby deedubya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:26 pm #535554

Isn't the server already effortlessly doing shit like this for the giant myriad of text modifiers in the game? Drunk text, brain damage, lizards just to name a few. Why would it suddenly be a concern to add one more?

Spoiler:

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Postby oranges » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 am #535660

because the list of regexes is controlled by the admins and I don't trust them

Tarchonvaagh

Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Postby Tarchonvaagh » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 am #535722

Ha
"You cannot defeat what lives on in the heart, and soul, of every TG player" - Birdboat
hi im the corvin dude on sybil or terry how's it going

deedubya

Postby deedubya » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 pm #535897

good enough reason for me

Spoiler:

Return to Ideas