Limited Loadout System

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Limited Loadout System

Post by Aeri » #536730

Okay, here's the pitch.

I play an engineer most rounds,

My go-to round start loadout is as follows

- Glasses: Engineering Scanner Goggles on my face, typically swapped out with Sechuds if I can nab em later

- Helmet: Nothing, Fuck that stupid hardhat, if it comes up and I need to go outside I'll get a hardsuit and use its built in helmet which means I have to ditch it anyways

- Tie: Would be nice, but they're rare enough that I'm unlikely to get one

- Mask: I typically sport a breath mask for when the powder keg we call a station goes up

- Earpiece: My headset, duh

-I_Clothing: Engineer Hazard jumpsuit (The orangier copy of the normal one)

-O_Clothing: Empty, but Engineers tend to start near enough to a hardsuit if they're planning on going for a walk outside

Just to name a few.

ID inside my PDA, obviously, Why does even it start outside my PDA?

Geiger counter in my pocket, the other free for whatever I need it for later

Empty the emergency oxygen box, keep the pen and spare oxygen, ditch the breath mask since I already have one

The problem here is that any given round it's annoying to have to waste a bunch of time getting all this shit that is freely available from the vending machine I spawn two feet away from. I realize not ALL of it should be in my inventory, that'd be too powerful, but I do wind up with a ton of useless fucking garbage I have no use for. So I'm proposing that you can choose what you spawn with within reason. The staff types could define reason themselves, but generally things that you would expect a job to be able to get within minutes of starting a shift ANYWAY.

This is a low level not-super-important idea, but it is annoying to have to toss a jumpsuit, grab the stuff I actually want to carry, and then get on with my life.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Limited Loadout System

Post by RaveRadbury » #536731

Moving around the station to pick up your gear is a part of player movement, to give players mostly/exactly what they want cuts out a lot of roundstart motion. While it may be tedious, it's a part of the stupid ant farm life that is shift start.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #536746

RaveRadbury wrote:Moving around the station to pick up your gear is a part of player movement, to give players mostly/exactly what they want cuts out a lot of roundstart motion. While it may be tedious, it's a part of the stupid ant farm life that is shift start.
Most other servers have loadout systems in place, especially true for cosmetic and marginally useful items, and don't seem to be suffering for it.
What makes TG different, and why is players having to fritter away a couple minutes scrambling around to department lockers and the dorms an interesting gameplay mechanic?

I actually made a similar argument about why hygiene was good and should have been kept in (we have to go to the dorms once or twice a shift to do something simulation-y like shower, almost like we're, you know, inhabiting a space station together) but people called me a dummy. :(
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #536752

I feel like this makes sense for items that are purely cosmetic- good examples include the hazard jumpsuit, or a sec beret. However, I'd say any job critical items (mesons, sechuds, that sort of stuff) should remain the way they are- that way, you're still getting suited up for doing your job, but you skip the unnecessary step of getting cosmetic clothing.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #536759

ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Aeri

Post by Aeri » #536904

EOBGames wrote:I feel like this makes sense for items that are purely cosmetic- good examples include the hazard jumpsuit, or a sec beret. However, I'd say any job critical items (mesons, sechuds, that sort of stuff) should remain the way they are- that way, you're still getting suited up for doing your job, but you skip the unnecessary step of getting cosmetic clothing.

I agree, which is why I said "I realize not ALL of it should be in my inventory, that'd be too powerful"
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #537110

yeah probably wouldn't sign off on this.

I try to cleave as much as possible to the new round, new you deal.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #537119

if people arent going to shove each other over insuls i'll poop my damn pants
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #537152

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:Moving around the station to pick up your gear is a part of player movement, to give players mostly/exactly what they want cuts out a lot of roundstart motion. While it may be tedious, it's a part of the stupid ant farm life that is shift start.
Most other servers have loadout systems in place, especially true for cosmetic and marginally useful items, and don't seem to be suffering for it.
What makes TG different, and why is players having to fritter away a couple minutes scrambling around to department lockers and the dorms an interesting gameplay mechanic?

I actually made a similar argument about why hygiene was good and should have been kept in (we have to go to the dorms once or twice a shift to do something simulation-y like shower, almost like we're, you know, inhabiting a space station together) but people called me a dummy. :(
Why was it removed again
Aeri

Post by Aeri » #537225

oranges wrote:yeah probably wouldn't sign off on this.

Just saying, I DO typically grab the same shit anyways.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #537307

I've wanted the ID to start in the PDA but I daren't make a PR even for that. Pens used to start in your pocket before a brave soul decided to change it to start in the PDA. It used to be every round the first thing you'd do was put your pen and ID in your PDA. Now it's just the latter. Why? Why that every round? Someone will go "well new players won't know where it is!" but a) who cares (i cobbled together wayfinding before i knew all the maps, when only meta got significant playtime) and b) it could be a preference that defaults off so people can't use this excuse to favour the status quo over a triviality. My point is you'll have to fight a bunch of idiots to try to get it so you can start with the shit you always get roundstart in a given job that starts right there anyway. And people will accuse you of wanting to start with stuff that gives you an unfair advantage, like an RCD as an engineer. Which obviously isn't the goal. It's to reduce tedium and carpal tunnel.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #538426

oranges wrote:yeah probably wouldn't sign off on this.

You mean like how you get to select your bag in character creation instead of hunting down an elusive leather bag?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.