Genetics Rework

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Genetics Rework

Post by Sheodir » #538075

Genetics is currently the worst job on /tg/code and literally just a shitty version of Virologist, change my mind.

You're essentially playing roulette until you get a cool power, then you get to store that cool power (under somewhat contrived rules that make bad geneticists misplace injectors) and then 99% of the time the geneticists just give themselves the cool power which is weird both from a in-universe perspective (essentially working for themselves) and from a mechanical perspective (you get all these cool powers that non antags will barely have any chance to use and often get rebalanced around it)

The whole thing is at the same time the most braindead and non-immersive job on the station and Virologist actively does the whole "harm or good trait development with a risk" angle way, way better.

With cloning on the way out I say it's the perfect chance to rework Geneticist entirely. Introducing my dumb idea, the Plasmids (copyright pending)

Instead of permanent Genetic Modifications achieved by Roulette-ing things up, Geneticists are focused on developing Plasmids, temporary power injectors that are reverted after a set amount of time. To make a plasmid, they must irradiate a humanoid (humanized monkeys most likely) using a specialized chamber, which will then select a random mutation from a random table. (this mutation is somehow special or specialized, or applies a very high quantity of rad damage in a particular way that cannot be easily replicated otherwise)

It will kill or harm the human most of the time. Due to limited resources, the Geneticist then has to revive or heal his specimens (or store them for later revival/healing), and try again. Then, it can also roll a harmful mutation, turning the specimen into a horrible monster that the Geneticist has specialized equipment to deal with - wall extinguishers for fire mutants, reinforced blinders for acid mutants, and even special procedures for SCP-inspired enemies (like a way to monitor a mob without looking at it). After the specimen is contained, he can use a special syringe to extract plasmids. Dead enemies give way less Plasmids than unconscious or live specimens.

This table would be an entirely new mob table. Some would be easy to deal with and give simple powers, some would be hard as hell and equally as rare - high level fire mobs could be boss-tier and even able to break containment, but that gives a long-lasting pyrokinesis power that essentialy allows you to survive all fire damage and set things on super fire. Plasmids could be provided in a vendor outside Sci that could either charge money or be locked to certain Accesses, so for example only Sec access could get hostile-type plasmids.

This is the general idea - I want to take Geneticist in an SCP-like, contain and secure kind of role. It's very loose, would require a BUNCH of coding, and likely be the most amount of work put on revamping a role yet in tgcode. It's a bit overly ambitious for me because I'm still struggling on my simple labor camp rework on the background, but I wanted to hear out thoughts from more experienced players, people who might like Roulette Genetics, etc etc
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Genetics Rework

Post by oranges » #538256

when you fail to make the job engaging, make sure to increment the hours wasted counter.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538258

oranges wrote:when you fail to make the job engaging, make sure to increment the hours wasted counter.
I honestly feel this suggestion is a lot more engaging given different scenarios to do and handle. It's certainly a change from playing literal roulette.
Hierophant
Byond Username: VictorPride

Post by Hierophant » #538549

I like it but it should be an addition not a replacement of the existing role. Genetics already is low in content, why remove the existing gameplay loop? Instead add this as a high-risk, high-reward alternative to it.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538574

Hierophant wrote:I like it but it should be an addition not a replacement of the existing role. Genetics already is low in content, why remove the existing gameplay loop? Instead add this as a high-risk, high-reward alternative to it.
I'd usually agree, but I feel the current loop is flawed and was the main thing that pushed me to try and think up an alternative. Playing roulette just isn't that fun to do, and there isn't much that differs a "good" geneticist from a "bad" geneticist - once you've figured out the loop it's a matter of chance. It causes the role to be a bit braindead, and I also dislike their current role as givers of permanent superpowers, hence the plasmid idea. Make the powers more significant but temporary.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #538587

I feel like Genetics sat there unmoving other than hulk buffs/nerfs for a long time. Someone reworked it recently and is still casually adding more mutations and combination powers. I think the core process of actually unlocking powers is the most ANTI-RP related job on the station(Mining is off station) since you have to actively input commands and leaving your lab mostly just delays it.

If I could make one change, it would be that scans you do on people are stored and auto-completed into the database. Make scanning not instant click, so you have an excuse to wander the station trying to get next to as many people as you can and have them stand still. This would create INTERACTIONS which are good.

I appreciate the recent work, and would rather someone keep messing with it than scrapping the system yet again.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538615

Nabski wrote:I feel like Genetics sat there unmoving other than hulk buffs/nerfs for a long time. Someone reworked it recently and is still casually adding more mutations and combination powers. I think the core process of actually unlocking powers is the most ANTI-RP related job on the station(Mining is off station) since you have to actively input commands and leaving your lab mostly just delays it.

If I could make one change, it would be that scans you do on people are stored and auto-completed into the database. Make scanning not instant click, so you have an excuse to wander the station trying to get next to as many people as you can and have them stand still. This would create INTERACTIONS which are good.

I appreciate the recent work, and would rather someone keep messing with it than scrapping the system yet again.
I just think the core is too flawed to "add onto". It'll always be at the end of the day the job that rolls a roulette to get superpowers. It's a really non engaging job and I've frequently seen it brought up as the most "braindead" job on the station, and definitely the least social one.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #538632

Fighting mobs is mining's schtick. Don't think it's a good idea to double up on that gimmick.

I've been mulling over an idea to basically make genetics into TES alchemy with the "ingredients" being fragments you scan from people. This would at least put some degree of decision making into genetics (hmmm if I mix these two I get tk, but if I mix these three I get tk AND thermal vision.. but also tourette's, is that ok?). I haven't really considered it that deeply since I'm not going to do it.

Agree 100% with making scanning take some time. You could also have one slow level you can do with a handheld scanner and a better version that happens quickly in the machine so you have a reason to try to get people into your death chamber workspace or at least drag bodies inside.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538682

MisterPerson wrote:Fighting mobs is mining's schtick. Don't think it's a good idea to double up on that gimmick.

I've been mulling over an idea to basically make genetics into TES alchemy with the "ingredients" being fragments you scan from people. This would at least put some degree of decision making into genetics (hmmm if I mix these two I get tk, but if I mix these three I get tk AND thermal vision.. but also tourette's, is that ok?). I haven't really considered it that deeply since I'm not going to do it.

Agree 100% with making scanning take some time. You could also have one slow level you can do with a handheld scanner and a better version that happens quickly in the machine so you have a reason to try to get people into your death chamber workspace or at least drag bodies inside.
Should've made clear that I don't expect them to fight mobs with a gun or some sort. The idea was that they'd have a sort of "trap room" that could be used to contain mobs (or kill them) and would use chemical resources. The really rare "boss" spawns would break out (unless you upgraded the containment with an engineer) and require fighting, but not the core of the job.

I really think trying to "fix" the current loop is a band-aid on a gaping wound, but I'm aware there's a limit to how much I can push for it without offering to do it myself. It's a lot of work, though. I can sprite a few of these things, but I still struggle with mapping a bit and the prospect of actually trying to code this is daunting.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #538697

Handheld scanner should just dump its data into the DNA Scanner as "genetic progress" instead of being forced to keep on one person's DNA at once. That way you have an actual reason to just go around scanning people.
am gud enineering
scrungo
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #538700

Sheodir wrote:Plasmids, temporary power injectors that are reverted after a set amount of time.
If you're having to kill/contain mobs and extract limited numbers of plasmids from them, I think these should be permanent. Perhaps you could make using a genetic power drain energy from a pool, though? Passive ones would drain it over time (but be toggle-able), and active ones would drain it every time they're used. Then, this pool could self-regen, only be refillable at genetics, be refilled whenever a negative mutation's effect procs, or something like that.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538701

ATHATH wrote:
Sheodir wrote:Plasmids, temporary power injectors that are reverted after a set amount of time.
If you're having to kill/contain mobs and extract limited numbers of plasmids from them, I think these should be permanent. Perhaps you could make using a genetic power drain energy from a pool, though? Passive ones would drain it over time (but be toggle-able), and active ones would drain it every time they're used. Then, this pool could self-regen, only be refillable at genetics, be refilled whenever a negative mutation's effect procs, or something like that.
I'm thinking since there would be a more "common" pool the plasmids being timed would make sense. The "mana bar" idea isn't bad but I feel the dynamic of knowing when to use it - and stocking up on the more common ones - would be part of knowing how to use them. On equal measure, rare ones could last a lot longer.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #568801

Played Geneticist earlier and remembered this idea. I still feel it is currently the most boring role on the station - spin a roulette until it allows you to use a bunch of really underwhelming, thematically inconsistent powers.
hiynastrike
Byond Username: Hiynastrike

Post by hiynastrike » #569232

So i'm not sure if this counts, but Why can't you use Shock Touch as Defibrillator hands? Like that would make the mutation incredibly useful to the station instead of the mutation being just fun for "UNLIMITED POWERRRRR!" Or other offensive tactics
Spoiler:

I do pixel drawings of crewmembers. You can see them all to date here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27326

Mark me down as a Space Bear Fan Image
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #569233

hiynastrike wrote:So i'm not sure if this counts, but Why can't you use Shock Touch as Defibrillator hands? Like that would make the mutation incredibly useful to the station instead of the mutation being just fun for "UNLIMITED POWERRRRR!" Or other offensive tactics
Because I didn't think of that
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: