Rework Cult Stun

A place to record your ideas for the game.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Rework Cult Stun

Post by wesoda25 » #538900

I think most people agree its too OP in its current state. Now that antag freeze is up we can change it, but how?
[this space reserved]
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Re: Rework Cult Stun

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #538904

100% agree.

Idea: make it stun, or mute, but not both.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538905

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:100% agree.

Idea: make it stun, or mute, but not both.
I agree with this annoying green post
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #538912

I don't want the stun to be a thing, and cult is dependent upon the mute.

I don't wanna give it the stun baton treatment where it does stamina damage and knockdown, but it might be the best way.
[this space reserved]
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #538919

If removing the stun is considered a debuff, how about making it an area of effect mute to counter that?
The mute is a lot more interesting than the stun part, but both together is just a retarded easy button.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538922

wesoda25 wrote:I don't want the stun to be a thing, and cult is dependent upon the mute.

I don't wanna give it the stun baton treatment where it does stamina damage and knockdown, but it might be the best way.
Cult needs some way to restrain the poor sod. Although it might just teach people to make prods instead.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #538928

wesoda25 wrote:I think most people agree its too OP in its current state. Now that antag freeze is up we can change it, but how?
as much as I hate the stun, they sort of rely on it. The problem with it is using it in combat. They still need a powerful method of silently converting because getting discovered too quickly is gg for them

One thing I think would be cool, instead of a stun, give them a spell called like "Enthrall" or something that paralyzes the person its used on if they aren't mindshielded. Instead of falling down, enthralled people would remain standing and holding their items, but be unable to move, talk, do anything. Taking too much damage or having it run out would break the spell but still leave them with the temporary cult talk effect the cult stun wearing off has.

You would now have a stun that works for conversion, cant be used to dunk sec or command right away and remove them from the round (Becoming a construct is pretty much round removal), it cant be used as effectively in combat as the person wont drop their things and will wake up if attacked
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #538942

Why does cult need a fucking snowflake stun spells when they can just make a fucking stun baton? Cult is just rev on fucking antag hugbox mode.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #538958

Dr_bee wrote:Why does cult need a fucking snowflake stun spells when they can just make a fucking stun baton? Cult is just rev on fucking antag hugbox mode.
you get revealed right away and steamrolled. Rev has a way to instantly convert someone. Rev has less traces if the act isn't directly observed. You stun someone, cuff them, drag them to maint, they start yelling about you and you get swarmed, they find your dagger or runed metal, gg cult dead
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #538962

Cult spells could become less powerful as the number of cultists increase, so that conversion becomes harder as the number of cultists increases and it's not just Revolution+
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #538979

i've already said this could be changed DURING the freeze wtf
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #538981

We could make drinking holy water offer a lasting resistance/immunity to cult stuns. It would be a natural way to allow early-game conversions while offering a method for people to steel themselves before a push into cult bases during the later fighting.

Only worry is saddling too much on the Chaplain. Chap already handles deconversions for the mode.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #539041

zxaber wrote:We could make drinking holy water offer a lasting resistance/immunity to cult stuns. It would be a natural way to allow early-game conversions while offering a method for people to steel themselves before a push into cult bases during the later fighting.

Only worry is saddling too much on the Chaplain. Chap already handles deconversions for the mode.
This is a good idea and actually would provide a counterplay to the ole stun and gibrune that makes assaulting cult bases basically suicide. Granted the fucking gibbing should be removed in the first place, and cult itself removed for being a shitty version of revs, but at least it would make cult less shit.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #539043

I'm formulating something but I've not completely come to a conclusion as to what it will be. Suffice to say, I don't want to completely gut their ability to snatch and grab people but I definitely want to severely hamper their use of the stun as a combat tool.

But honestly, the stun alone isn't the only thing I'd really want to see changed. The other bit is endless resources. One of the coolest elements from the now dead clockcult was that they had a resource pool they needed to fill. We should really move to implement similar mechanics into cult. They have so much free gamer gear.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #539061

NecromancerAnne wrote:I'm formulating something but I've not completely come to a conclusion as to what it will be. Suffice to say, I don't want to completely gut their ability to snatch and grab people but I definitely want to severely hamper their use of the stun as a combat tool.

But honestly, the stun alone isn't the only thing I'd really want to see changed. The other bit is endless resources. One of the coolest elements from the now dead clockcult was that they had a resource pool they needed to fill. We should really move to implement similar mechanics into cult. They have so much free gamer gear.
They could use blood as their resource. Have a refuel rune which checks for blood content in whatever is on top of it. Also means they'd have to balance conversion with deblooding people for moar resources. Medbay cult would get stronger, ofc, but it'd also make it a priority to protect it, creating an interesting dynamic.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #539124

Or just have mindshields block the stun, This would give a reason for actually mindshielding people as all it currently does is make the person instantly explode instead of get converted on the conversion rune.

I REALLY hate that fucking instagib rune.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #539143

Leave it as-is, but make it so that if you take any damage while the stun/mute is in effect, the effect wears off. When the effect wears off for any reason(conversion, duration expires normally, getting toolbox'd in the cranium), any cuff-like item is stripped from you.

cult stun is now fixed, you're welcome
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #539165

NoxVS wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:I think most people agree its too OP in its current state. Now that antag freeze is up we can change it, but how?
as much as I hate the stun, they sort of rely on it. The problem with it is using it in combat. They still need a powerful method of silently converting because getting discovered too quickly is gg for them

One thing I think would be cool, instead of a stun, give them a spell called like "Enthrall" or something that paralyzes the person its used on if they aren't mindshielded. Instead of falling down, enthralled people would remain standing and holding their items, but be unable to move, talk, do anything. Taking too much damage or having it run out would break the spell but still leave them with the temporary cult talk effect the cult stun wearing off has.

You would now have a stun that works for conversion, cant be used to dunk sec or command right away and remove them from the round (Becoming a construct is pretty much round removal), it cant be used as effectively in combat as the person wont drop their things and will wake up if attacked
smartest post in this entire thread.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #539178

I don't think blood would work as a resource as it's super renewable and prevelant, especially if you combine iron and bloody marys for super-fast blood regeneration. Both are easily obtainable, even without chemistry.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #539180

Anonmare wrote:I don't think blood would work as a resource as it's super renewable and prevelant, especially if you combine iron and bloody marys for super-fast blood regeneration. Both are easily obtainable, even without chemistry.
Could have to be cursed blood. A cult leader would have the ability to "curse" blood, refreshing every few ticks. Could even make the new conversion process being injected with cursed blood.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #539223

I really don't think making it knockdown + stamina is a big deal. The offer rune already heals people who get converted so I don't see why knockdown spell then crit with sword/ dagger then offer rune to convert and heal isn't a fine substitute for conversions.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #539225

oranges wrote:
NoxVS wrote:

smartest post in this entire thread.
Agree, a stun that you immediately snap out of if you take damage is actually a great idea just in general but it works especially well here. Interested in trying this
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #539241

I swear to fuck that's what Kindle used to do, didn't it?
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #539281

Nox's version is still abusable though, since you can just stun hand someone and have zipties at the ready to just circumvent the whole downside. My version is admittedly still a bit abusable since getting them into favorable position before you throw down can be big, but it'd be much harder to do so. Also, if it happens in a group fight, crew have a counter by literally slapping people out of it[the stun].

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #539282

deedubya wrote:Nox's version is still abusable though, since you can just stun hand someone and have zipties at the ready to just circumvent the whole downside
Make the application of cuffs snap you out of it too, then
Spoiler:
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #539286

PKPenguin321 wrote:
deedubya wrote:Nox's version is still abusable though, since you can just stun hand someone and have zipties at the ready to just circumvent the whole downside
Make the application of cuffs snap you out of it too, then
you're right, that would be a lot easier

Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #539344

Being “enthralled” and stunlocked until conversion would still be super frustrating, thouth.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #539427

confused rock wrote:Being “enthralled” and stunlocked until conversion would still be super frustrating, thouth.
Too bad? The main complaint afaik is cult stun being used to dominate in combat. It being used for conversions is intended and pretty much needed.
Spoiler:
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #539436

PKPenguin321 wrote:
confused rock wrote:Being “enthralled” and stunlocked until conversion would still be super frustrating, thouth.
Too bad? The main complaint afaik is cult stun being used to dominate in combat. It being used for conversions is intended and pretty much needed.
Maybe it's not a great game mode if its playability hinges upon the existence of an "I win" button that guarantees a wordless, defenseless conversion.
Even on revs you can at least see somebody pulling out a flash.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #539441

If I actually knew how to code I'd make cult like it used to be: no summon objective, they just have to convert x amount of crew members and have x escape aboard the shuttle.

Or we could up the number of roundstart cultists, remove conversion entirely, and stun too.
[this space reserved]
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #539446

It would probably last just as long as the normal stun.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #539491

wesoda25 wrote:If I actually knew how to code I'd make cult like it used to be: no summon objective, they just have to convert x amount of crew members and have x escape aboard the shuttle.

Or we could up the number of roundstart cultists, remove conversion entirely, and stun too.
The first used to be an actual goal.

The second one also happened and it wasn't well-recieved cause it was just mandatory construct cult, every cult.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #539500

why the fuck doesnt cult mode have space carp deep ones
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #539517

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Maybe it's not a great game mode if its playability hinges upon the existence of an "I win" button that guarantees a wordless, defenseless conversion.
Ah yeah good point remove the whole mode it is then
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #539540

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
That’s another big problem with cult. No visual cue it’s about to happen. I feel like I may have come up with a possible solution to this problem. What if when you were about to use the stun spell your hand would suddenly have like a red flame covering it? So instead of just suddenly being stunned you have reaction time when you see their glowing red hand.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #539554

make it paralyze
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #539589

keep in mind that cult gets rolled over a LOT even with "retarded OP" stuns, even when cult has very good players. i see it happen all the time, it happens to me all the time.i doubt a stun rework will cripple cult, but keep that in mind before we start slamming the nerf hammer on whatever cult mechanic killed us most recently.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #539592

imsxz wrote:keep in mind that cult gets rolled over a LOT even with "retarded OP" stuns, even when cult has very good players. i see it happen all the time, it happens to me all the time.i doubt a stun rework will cripple cult, but keep that in mind before we start slamming the nerf hammer on whatever cult mechanic killed us most recently.
This. Cult is almost exactly at 50% winrate at the moment. It's one of the best balanced modes out there. If we are gonna go around with the nerfhammer, we should consider what aspect of them should be buffed to counter-balance that. Maybe stuns are bad(tm) but then something else should be buffed to compensate for it.
Iron, blood and spider armies
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #539594

also cult and revs both have people holding something in hand before they stun you??? please stop making up facts. it isnt undetectable, it doesnt have zero counterplay. if a scary man runs out of maint with a glowing red hand you should run back instead of trying to fight him and getting stunned/standing afk and getting stunned. revs pull flashes out of their pockets with the same cue as cultists preparing blood magic. yes it sucks that you cant wear holymelons on your eyes roundstart but there's still counterplay.

p.s. if you knock down a cultist (such as via slipping) they drop their stun and have to re-equip it. es they can theoretically do it "instantly", but you can also disarm them "instantly" when theyre knocked down to hard stun them. p.s.2. behead cultists that you kill and they cant be revived with the revive rune unless their head gets reattached p.s.3. i can make a comprehensive guide about killing cult if someone wants

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #539596

imsxz wrote:also cult and revs both have people holding something in hand before they stun you??? please stop making up facts. it isnt undetectable, it doesnt have zero counterplay. if a scary man runs out of maint with a glowing red hand you should run back instead of trying to fight him and getting stunned/standing afk and getting stunned. revs pull flashes out of their pockets with the same cue as cultists preparing blood magic. yes it sucks that you cant wear holymelons on your eyes roundstart but there's still counterplay.

p.s. if you knock down a cultist (such as via slipping) they drop their stun and have to re-equip it. es they can theoretically do it "instantly", but you can also disarm them "instantly" when theyre knocked down to hard stun them. p.s.2. behead cultists that you kill and they cant be revived with the revive rune unless their head gets reattached p.s.3. i can make a comprehensive guide about killing cult if someone wants
how 2 kil cult:

step 1: make a single gygax

step 2: cult is now kill

it has worked literally every time I have done it.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #539599

The comprehensive guide is pretty simple I'll be honest. Don't go into melee against cultists, who predominately have the advantage in a straight melee fight. Fight them from afar where their magic doesn't work. And use ballistics. Taking an imrpovised shotgun and just pinging down cultists with slugs is 100% a fantastic means of fighting cultists. And if they try to hide behind corners, just walk. There is no reason to engage cultists on their terms.

These are generally basics you can apply to practically all combat in space. Fighting a fools errand. You aren't fighting, you're hunting. Sneaking, following, and waiting will win you more kills than charging in blind and getting yourself slapped down. Follow blood they drip everywhere and you'll usually find the cult. Bear traps, hiding in lockers, soap under doorways, all very powerful means of catching just about anyone and especially cultists. Once you've established where they are, you can start rigging their base with traps to fight them. One of the most powerful means of fighting cultists is rendering their bases uninhabitable and pushing deeper into their bases from space. Kind of a shitty move, I know, but it works and works well. I've combat most cultists by just rendering their base of operations depressurized and everyone inside vulnerable to a PKA or being sniped with slugs and keeping the fuck away.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #539602

How do you make an improvised shotgun
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #539607

you dont even need a gygax, the shitty ripley amazon version can kill cult ez because lol cant stun it (a single emp wont prevent him to clamp u)
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #539613

Arathian wrote: This. Cult is almost exactly at 50% winrate at the moment. It's one of the best balanced modes out there. If we are gonna go around with the nerfhammer, we should consider what aspect of them should be buffed to counter-balance that. Maybe stuns are bad(tm) but then something else should be buffed to compensate for it.
Stop using winrate as a measure of game mode balance or quality, it doesnt tell the whole story of a round, and also doesnt necessarily need to be a focus anyway in a storytelling roleplaying game like SS13.

Using statistics without understanding the broader implications of them leads to shitty decisions like the cult we have now.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #539629

On discussions of balance (which this thread is), the current state of balance matters.

Also, I like cult. Liking or not liking cult is personal preference and, as far as I know, we haven't had any official polling on the popularity of cult.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #539636

Arathian wrote:On discussions of balance (which this thread is), the current state of balance matters.
Winrate isnt a measure of balance in a game focused on the quality of the stories told. This isnt DOTA or a fighting game, a 50/50 winrate doesnt matter if the win or loss is unfun for the players.

Losing should be fun at best and at the worst not be cheap, cult in its current state feels cheap for whoever is on the losing side. Either the cult snowballs and the crew feels like they cant fight back at all or the cult gets outed early and its a 25 minute instant shuttle call.

Please stop using winrates as a measure of balance and look at qualitative data. Quantitative data alone often masks the whole problem.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #539652

imsxz wrote:keep in mind that cult gets rolled over a LOT even with "retarded OP" stuns, even when cult has very good players. i see it happen all the time, it happens to me all the time.i doubt a stun rework will cripple cult, but keep that in mind before we start slamming the nerf hammer on whatever cult mechanic killed us most recently.
im pretty sure the reason for this steamroll is because cult cant really be soloed. There are lots of OP things it has to offer but you need to dedicate yourself to it. Often you have a very experienced player who cant do everything while everyone else just mills around and gets dunked because they never even left the base.

I mean take dark spirits. It is the most blatantly overpowered and broken mechanic cult has. It literally is just metaknowledge, gives you infinite information about everything. Plenty to carry the cult. Yet so often I dont see it used.

The problem with cult is the mass of people who have no clue what they are doing
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #539665

I don't think zip ties should break the stun

If you they are able to stun zip tie you, you were either suprised (the intended use of the spell) or were alone (dont fight the cult alone.)
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #539711

big red hand is a visual cue tbf.

it's the same as a flash in terms of visuals if not better seen, it just also goes through everything and can't be disarmed :^)

you're not going to know someone is about to flash you if they pull it out right as they're about to do it either.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #539742

dr bee please address my points I don’t mention winrate at all