Announcement on lavaland and off station content.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Announcement on lavaland and off station content.

Post by oranges » #545872

Okay so this has been something spinning around in my head for a while.

Basically, I think we're in a situation where people are spending a lot of time focusing on stuff that isn't on the station and doesn't interact with our core gameplay. We have lost a lot of focus, and it's hampering our momentum in terms of actually changing and improving things about the station, where most of the playerbase spends most of their time.

So as such, I am asking all maintainers to deny things that are not laser focused on the station and crew.

We will not carry code or content outside of the station unless it's burden is very small and minimal, that means lavaland ruins, space ruins and away missions.

You will notice I have already killed off lavaland dwarves and icemoon PR's, both are endemic of the focus on stuff that is outside the station.

Note: This does not mean these ideas are dead forever or the content they have is not useable.

space has already expressed interest in taking a station and putting it on the icemoon. This is totally acceptable, because the content is now focused in on the the station and the crew and I think we are past overdue such an idea.

Mixing the content in with the station makes carrying all the sprites and code worth it, because it's much more approachable.

anyway, that's it, feel free to complain here I guess, please don’t' be rude.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Announcement on lavaland and off station content.

Post by Shadowflame909 » #545878

Dang. Bullet hell Colossus shall be missed before it was born.
► Show Spoiler
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #545903

does that mean miner is now a dead job that will never(read-in the near future) get updated
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #545927

oranges wrote:So as such, I am asking all maintainers to deny things that are not laser focused on the station and crew.

We will not carry code or content outside of the station unless it's burden is very small and minimal, that means lavaland ruins, space ruins and away missions.
Does this apply only or mostly to new things going forward, or does this mean some existing content might be getting the axe? Things like Charlie station, ashlwalkers/free golems/seed vault, lone comms agent.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #545930

So as such, I am asking all maintainers to deny things that are not laser focused on the station and crew.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #545935

People work on these sides projects because it interests them, I'm not sure if this will push anything new station side from people who would rather work on expanding exploration content rather just reduce getting anything from certain individuals. While i respect that you want to have more done to make the core experience improved, forcing anyone who does not have anything to add or have no interest to direct their attention to one part of the game will not produce spectacular results.

It was a major letdown to see this myself after admittedly working on my first bit of content for the game for a long few months thus why i am complaining, like any of this will mean anything in the end except be a way to vent my frustrations.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #545936

oranges wrote:
OK.
I guess my question was does "So as such, I am asking all maintainers to deny things that are not laser focused on the station and crew." go hand-in-hand with asking maintainers to APPROVE PRs that remove existing things deemed not focused enough on the crew experience.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or even voice a complaint, I was just looking for clarification on what might be expected from this.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #545941

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote: I guess my question was does "So as such, I am asking all maintainers to deny things that are not laser focused on the station and crew." go hand-in-hand with asking maintainers to APPROVE PRs that remove existing things deemed not focused enough on the crew experience.
I am sure that if that was meant then it would have been said.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #546128

imo you should at least approve the dwarf guy's stuff as-is since he seemingly finished most of it before this freeze went into effect
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #546130

nianjiilical wrote:imo you should at least approve the dwarf guy's stuff as-is since he seemingly finished most of it before this freeze went into effect
his pr needs a lot of work right now just FYI
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #546133

nianjiilical wrote:imo you should at least approve the dwarf guy's stuff as-is since he seemingly finished most of it before this freeze went into effect
this but for ice moon
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #546135

wesoda25 wrote:
this but for ice moon
the madman is listening to oranges and now moving the entire station to icemoon

lets see how this shakes up
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #546146

rather than just leave things in a state of being unable to be touched, all off station content should just be axed
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #546158

So do we know where we are going or is it just going to be a blanket ban on offstation stuff on the hopes that somehow we'll get good content
Like I don't even disagree but this seems kind of aimless
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #546167

NoxVS wrote:rather than just leave things in a state of being unable to be touched, all off station content should just be axed
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #546222

confused rock wrote:
NoxVS wrote:rather than just leave things in a state of being unable to be touched, all off station content should just be axed
delete lavaland, put a bunch of runescape mining rocks on the station that give infinite mats when hit with a pickaxe

make miners have to level up mining to hit the higher tier ores
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #546251

I like how you guys think
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #546323

Wasn't there that one station that was literally partially built into an asteroid? Maybe all stations need to be like that, just embed them in resource rich asteroids and massively rework the mining game
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #546586

Lavaland is only used by power gamers looking for gamer gear, a place to feel like you “won”when you escape there after nuke ops get the disk, and gulag.

Delete
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #546816

Skillywatt wrote:Lavaland is only used by power gamers looking for gamer gear, a place to feel like you “won”when you escape there after nuke ops get the disk, and gulag.

Delete
Or remove the power gamer gear. Kinda feels like throwing the baby out with the bath water to just cut it all.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #546817

every department has gamer gear bro

Just buff yours so everyone can have equally op fun.

antags start off with gamer gear, thus the power houses of each department ending up with BETTER gamer gear, is just progress.
► Show Spoiler