Central Plumbing

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Central Plumbing

Post by Time-Green » #550126

I've been building up to this for a while, but I'd like to know if it was even wanted before I die from mapping too much.

Water Plant
A vault-like room that houses an anomaly that produces water and supplies the station with water. I'll probably make it a satellite.
I'm not sure yet who would be responsible for maintaing this.

Here's a list of candidates I'm considering:
- Chemist: They already have all the plumbing gear, but their job has already been spread thin with normal chemistry, factory creation and what would then also be maintaining the plumbing on the station.

- Janitor: Seems like a good candidate, but janitor is basically the perfect job and I don't want to infringe on that.

- Engineering: Their job is maintenance. They already maintain power, structural integrity and atmospherics.

- Plumber: Could be either a civillian or engineering department. Problem I'm seeing right now is that it'll end up like a librarian, where they kinda have a purpose but not really. I could give them a plumbing RCD to make chemical factories, but then I'd be infringing on the Chemists job. Maybe a little wont hurt? Paramedics and Medical Doctors are both variations of basically the same job and they're well received. If I go this way, I'll add like magical water or some other goals they could work to on the long term.

Sinks, showers and toilets

I'd need to lay down ducting on literally every single map. I'll probably add a map define so I can do it peacemeal and let certain stations just use legacy plumbing will they're slowly being converted.

- Fluid anomaly pad and fluescent anomaly: This is the anomaly I spoke off earlier. It'll be drained by the anomaly pad for water. Yes you can find a beer anomaly and have everything be beer.

- Super tank: I'll add a very big tank that the anomaly feeds into. I'll also add a set of super ducts that go above the 10u transfer rate.

- Hypersonic MK.III Plungerer Machine: Has a big cooldown, but can be used to instantly drain everything connected to the net, so you can quickly replace all the chemicals.

- Sinks, toilets and showers: They'll have a small storage tank and drain from the central plumbing tank. Waste reagents flushed down will be instantly transfered to an applicable disposer, like a very big reagent disposer or just something that shoots it into space. We can't store the waste in the object itself, because multiple reagent datums arent supported. I'll make sure you can intercept it somewhere to collect waste if you want

There will be no piss and shit mechanics
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Re: Central Plumbing

Post by actioninja » #550128

My initial thought is yet another thing to map and another thing to rebuild when shit goes to fuck.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #550130

actioninja wrote:My initial thought is yet another thing to map and another thing to rebuild when shit goes to fuck.
You can flush a toilet with fire. But yes, it'll be a hassle for what would otherwise be a pretty minor thing
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #550131

why water tho there isnt much to do with it what about petroil?
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #550137

So basically, goonstation liquids?
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #550147

actioninja wrote:My initial thought is yet another thing to map and another thing to rebuild when shit goes to fuck.
you don't have to worry about departments being rebuilt
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #550152

For the extra lazy alternative you could honestly just have all existing sinks showers etc. have their own internal water storage to avoid requiring mappers to bring plumbing anyhwere you just want to put a sink that's rarely going to be used.

Then you either make a subtype that only works with plumbing or allow switching inputs between internal storage and pipes by using a wrench/screwdriver or whatever

This way the plumbing network can be as extensive as the mapper wants it to be
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #550205

making it an entire sattelite is over-doing it, just add this to the janitor's office and let the janitor handle it please. dont give more things to the 2 jobs with a ton of stuff to do