Emagging communications console for additional objectives.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Emagging communications console for additional objectives.

Post by Helios » #556341

Currently if you emag a comms console, you can send a message to the Syndicate.
Suggestion is to change this, to add requesting additional objectives if you're a traitor and have accomplished your existing goals, for more green text.
This could be auto generated, or require admin intervention, both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

One potential way to implement it would be an option that says "Request additional *error*", that's accessible to anyone using the emagged console, like the existing message verb. This gives you a pop up requesting a password. If you enter yours correctly, and you've completed your objective, it automatically sends a new one.
At this point an admin can send a custom objective of their own. Or, you can have it send a new objective after a minute long delay, and have it ping admins so they can potentially Change it
Last edited by Helios on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Emagging communications console for additional objectives.

Post by wesoda25 » #556342

auto auto auto
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556352

why do you need a random generated text within a list possible results you already know to tell what to do? you can do it already and even do more by doing antagonistic things to the crew that wouldnt be possible to put in a predetermined text (example: blow up some autism project and make it look like an accident)
Helios

Post by Helios » #556353

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:why do you need a random generated text within a list possible results you already know to tell what to do? you can do it already and even do more by doing antagonistic things to the crew that wouldnt be possible to put in a predetermined text (example: blow up some autism project and make it look like an accident)
Great question
Basically I thought about it after reading this thread
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=26243
The point is to formalize the mechanic. Some admins are really annoyed by people asking for trades, and players don't know what they can or can't ask for, and there's a lot of confusion
I'm suggesting to have a formalized gameplay mechanic. You have the RP option of messaging them manually, but if admins aren't on, are busy, or just can't be bothered, the player can guarantee when they press the button they get a new objective.

The worst situation is when you do put the effort in to make some illicit Comms console, send a message to the syndicate and get no in game acknowledgement you did, no replies. It can make the entire endeavour and risk feel like a waste of time
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #556368

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:why do you need a random generated text within a list possible results you already know to tell what to do? you can do it already and even do more by doing antagonistic things to the crew that wouldnt be possible to put in a predetermined text (example: blow up some autism project and make it look like an accident)
Because it adds randomness, challenge and extrinsic reward?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556404

>The point is to formalize the mechanic. Some admins are really annoyed by people asking for trades, and players don't know what they can or can't ask for, and there's a lot of confusion
you mean you want this to give you TC/special items when you emag the console? or more objectives as writted in OP?
the "admins hate tcs meme" isnt real that thread was made by a burned out admin and no one took him serious , burned out admins just end up jaded and never show ingame anyway
tc trades should be kept admin thing to make sure creativity is preserved instead of it being something easly abusable (getting comms console isnt that hard to do and not antags would just give the traitor the objs and share it) or just " antag shop 2"
Helios

Post by Helios » #556423

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:>The point is to formalize the mechanic. Some admins are really annoyed by people asking for trades, and players don't know what they can or can't ask for, and there's a lot of confusion
you mean you want this to give you TC/special items when you emag the console? or more objectives as writted in OP?
the "admins hate tcs meme" isnt real that thread was made by a burned out admin and no one took him serious , burned out admins just end up jaded and never show ingame anyway
tc trades should be kept admin thing to make sure creativity is preserved instead of it being something easly abusable (getting comms console isnt that hard to do and not antags would just give the traitor the objs and share it) or just " antag shop 2"
That thread was about TCs. But, if you look at the sentiments among the posts
"just dont respond and let other admins with more will of life to answer the ahelp if you are outraged by tc trades"
"Go admin event hall, in all my hours over there I have had a single tc trade request. Its like they dont know the option exists (they dont)"
There's a pattern of "just ignore their prayers" and "players don't know how it works". That sentiment is something I understand, I mean I made my byond account back in 2007. The amount of unanswered prayers I've had is more than a hypochondriac catholic, I understand the players sentiment. By formalizing this specifically, you get more consistency as a player. Adding additional TCs makes sense, but is going to set off a lot of balance alarm bells, as things like Romerol are built around the player having 20 TCs and no more, so this idea wouldn't get off the ground in that case.
This is an idea for players who's idea of fun as a traitor is getting green text, so even if it's only a "burned out admin" on, or none at all, they can have fun. It's also very easy to teach to new players. "If I emag the supply console, I can order syndie gear, if I emag the escape shuttle it launches in 10 seconds, and if I emag a comms console I can get more objectives." As opposed to the current system which is "If the right admin is on, and they find what you're saying is interesting, maybe they'll give you an extra objective or acknowledge you in some way"
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556425

if they are new and read the wiki they would know https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Emag#R.26D_console