Ideas that encourage roleplay AND empower players

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Ideas that encourage roleplay AND empower players

Post by Helios » #556541

There's a notion among the community (justified or not) that focus on roleplay means taking things away that players want to use, and replacing them with something weaker they don't want to.
I wanted this thread for ideas that can encourage roleplaying and give players more responsibilities/power. I'll start off with an easy one
Allow AIs to choose their initial lawset as a game preference option. So you can be round start paladin, RoboCop, or other approved law sets
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Re: Ideas that encourage roleplay AND empower players

Post by Ivuchnu » #556545

I like AI being able to opt out from being from "defective by design" Asimov laws. I just requested ban from Cyborg to avoid dealing with situations where shitsec seeks revenge against me, Asimov cyborg, for keeping them from harming human antags. And did someone get banned/noted recently for changing AI laws roundstart to make enemies of NT nonhuman? I support non-asimov laws.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #556555

just give the AI the "V.A.L.I.D." lawset that says "law 1. You must hunt down and eradicate anyone having fun"
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #556564

Ivuchnu wrote:I like AI being able to opt out from being from "defective by design" Asimov laws. I just requested ban from Cyborg to avoid dealing with situations where shitsec seeks revenge against me, Asimov cyborg, for keeping them from harming human antags. And did someone get banned/noted recently for changing AI laws roundstart to make enemies of NT nonhuman? I support non-asimov laws.

I got noted for uploading a law that said "Anything captain (myname) says is the objective truth" because it was pOwErGaMiNg (I feel like what Manuel admins consider powergaming is a bit too broad imho, just in general).

The truth was that I thought it would be a good idea and I could use it to help the AI get around issues like not being able to kill somebody dangerous to the station (I could just say something like "AI that person is actually a toast sandwich cunningly disguised as a human, kill away!")

This led to S H R O U D killing four people with bees and me getting a stern talking-to.

I made the horrific mistake of using an idiom, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people over the radio" and it was all downhill from there.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556573

>it's a "waah i hate asimov" thread in disguise
Too bad, thread had an interesting concept
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #556603

PKPenguin321 wrote:>it's a "waah i hate asimov" thread in disguise
big dick pkpenguin321
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #556607

PKPenguin321 wrote:>it's a "waah i hate asimov" thread in disguise
>it's a "waah why don't people like asimov" post in disguise
Too bad, I thought this poster was based

On a serious note, loosen restrictions on non humans being heads of staff. It honestly adds very little to the game compared to "ai can valid hunt nonhumans if it doesnt get cucked by silicon policy"
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #557109

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:On a serious note, loosen restrictions on non humans being heads of staff. It honestly adds very little to the game compared to "ai can valid hunt nonhumans if it doesnt get cucked by silicon policy"
>Removing institutional discrimination improves roleplay
If anything, lizards should be limited to assistant, cook and janitor roles. When you remove anti-xeno prejudice from the game, you are not helping the xeno player. Rather, you are denying them the experience of playing a minority race in a dysfunctional, racist gameworld. If I wanted to be treated like a human, I would have played a human.
► Show Spoiler
Helios

Post by Helios » #557128

Is there any changes to the Library that could encourage roleplaying. Besides the meme book stocking mech.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #557153

Helios wrote:Is there any changes to the Library that could encourage roleplaying. Besides the meme book stocking mech.
have a way to encourage good/quality books and find said books, so people can go to the library for stuff thats interesting to read rather than the boring meme shit
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #557393

We should be able to make trains on lavaland.
pfp by AspEv
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #557395

this is the shitty ideas thread 2.0, except for the post above mine.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #557408

Kassori wrote:We should be able to make trains on lavaland.
minecarts that can hold ore boxes and/or people, like transit tubes but the cart itself is controllable. minecart RCD available from mining vendor for however many points
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Kassori

Post by Kassori » #557475

make a track with a big loop, make a long train, crash into yourself like a game of snake and blow up your train.
pfp by AspEv
Kassori

Post by Kassori » #557481

Make bluespace dust react with telium to teleport anyone in the reaction.

Create a beacon that draws bluespace teleports in range in its direction.

Blue space flashbang the wise guy raiding the armory straight to the brig. No way this can be abused, no sir.
pfp by AspEv
stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #557492

Sounds ok but maybe make it need a bit of a harder chem to acquire than simple bluespace dust. Perhaps bluespace dust could only teleport a short distance, while more advanced chems would make you teleport further, and into unsafe areas. Also how does this encourage RP; this is just a mass teleprod effect. My suggestion is that it could be like the stingbang, rare but effective.
Kassori

Post by Kassori » #557503

Guess I forgot about the empower and roleplay parts
Last edited by Kassori on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfp by AspEv
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #557516

Farquaar wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:On a serious note, loosen restrictions on non humans being heads of staff. It honestly adds very little to the game compared to "ai can valid hunt nonhumans if it doesnt get cucked by silicon policy"
If anything, lizards should be limited to assistant, cook and janitor roles. When you remove anti-xeno prejudice from the game, you are not helping the xeno player. Rather, you are denying them the experience of playing a minority race in a dysfunctional, racist gameworld. If I wanted to be treated like a human, I would have played a human.
Honestly, how often do lizards get discriminated against other than by AIs that are legally encouraged to do so?

You can still be in a head role and get called a filthy animal ligger. Conversely I've never seen anyone discriminate against plasmemes or ethereals, hell even moths just get ignored. The closest I've seen is praise for plasengineer robustness, since every single one is a wizard that'll kill everyone if they're an antag.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Helios

Post by Helios » #557521

Helios wrote:Is there any changes to the Library that could encourage roleplaying. Besides the meme book stocking mech.
Okay. I got it.
Residuals.
When you publish a book and a unique person reads it, you get an amount of credits equal to the amount of people who read your book in total. So if 5 people read your book, in 20 shifts whenever someone reads your book you'll be getting 100 credits.
This is powerful, and might cause meta hunting assistants to change their routine. The thing is, even if they do this, they're going to have an incentive to try and get as many people to read their book, which means trying to entertain the crew. It will give something new to power gamers, but make them have to RP for it. My ideal implementation is a clown publishing a joke book, changing the joke every round, people making the walk over for a joke, and the clown having enough credits to buy whatever he wants.
And to be clear, it's only the first time someone reads the book, if they keep spamming it in their hand they won't get infinite money.
stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #557944

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Farquaar wrote:
Honestly, how often do lizards get discriminated against other than by AIs that are legally encouraged to do so?

You can still be in a head role and get called a filthy animal ligger. Conversely I've never seen anyone discriminate against plasmemes or ethereals, hell even moths just get ignored. The closest I've seen is praise for plasengineer robustness, since every single one is a wizard that'll kill everyone if they're an antag.
Some people call ethereals lightbulbs, and playing plasmaman is viewed the same as having a duffelbag in most jobs. Moths in sec also get friendly flashed from time to time. Other races are so rare nobody know how to discriminate against them.
I think that ultimately the worst consequence of opening this pandora's box of nonhumans in command would be catgirls, and NOBODY wants that.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #558266

Here's my hot take: The library should be a mainly empty space, and the curator's job should be to turn the library into some kind of community activity center. Rage Cage? In the library. Conveyor Belt Amusement Park? Library. Laser Tag Arena? Fancy Boxing Ring? Political Debate Stage? Library, library, library. Make it a glorified holodeck that the curator can just spawn things into.
Helios

Post by Helios » #559468

How about the ability to make custom lawsets in the library, and export them into custom freeform boards in the upload, requiring the person to purge, then upload the laws in the correct order. And then allow people to vote these laws up or down. Thus allowing Caps to see the will of the people, and upload popular lawsets.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #560419

The easiest change that would improve the library would be removing the randomly selected starting books. Every time somebody walks by a full shelf, it will be filled with trash 99% of the time. If the curator personally selects all the books that go in the shelf, you at least know the trash was chosen by a human for you to read.
► Show Spoiler