Turn Solo Lavaland Abductor into a midround antag roll

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Turn Solo Lavaland Abductor into a midround antag roll

Post by Helios » #559801

I came across this, and thought that since Abductor is a popular antagonist that people regularly want to trade for or play, and late game antags are popular, why not add a crashed aliens as a midround antag roll.
It would in the crashed ship, and would start off with a solo abductor. Think solo op but for abductors, limited toolset, weaker version of the rull round antag. And for a solo abductor, you can have the goal be restoring the ship, and that being rewarded with it becoming a full abductor ship.
Announcing the crashed ship when the round starts, would also give an X-com sort of feeling, where you might have miners or even cyborgs trying to hunt the crashed alien ship, to nip the problem in the butt before it develops further. Being in a crashed ship also adds the tension of "will they or won't they discover me in time before I get this ship repaired", which would give this version of the mode an entirely different type of feeling.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Turn Solo Lavaland Abductor into a midround antag roll

Post by Armhulen » #559810

Also just wanted to put this here because you made me think of it, but I always wanted a console that "flies" the UFO that will make it violently crash on lavaland if a human interacts with it in any capacity.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #559812

as long as it aint a ghost spawn and instead a random roll like blob or nightmare it seems cool to me.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #559817

Helios wrote: I came across this, and thought that since Abductor is a popular antagonist that people regularly want to trade for or play, and late game antags are popular, why not add a crashed aliens as a midround antag roll.

Think solo op but for abductors, limited toolset, weaker version of the rull round antag.
It would have to be a ghost role or a lot of creativity would be needed to justify it then.

Consider The Following:
1. Abductors, while they have the potential to be as dangerous as any other antag, are non-murderous and rely on being able to actually abduct people. There is no issue with this since a real antag making things tense is one of their greatest advantages.
2. This is where the main point of this post comes to play - How exactly would solo abductors fit when normal abductors are already a midround antag? I bet you're thinking "I'LL MAKE NORMAL ABDUCTORS INTO REAL ANTA-"
Remember that lone operatives are a weaker version of a pre-existing gamemode antag. That line of thinking doesn't apply here. As a lone antag, it basically relies on everyone acting like it's an extended round before randomly killing each other.
3. If normal abductors aren't going to be a gamemode tier antagonist like nuclear operatives then why would there be two events that are basically the same thing? There's a random event for slaughter demons to spawn, but not a random event for laughter demons because otherwise that'd just be clutter.

tl;dr sorry chief but it ain't working as a midround antag unless you get really creative
Helios

Post by Helios » #559830

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Helios wrote: I came across this, and thought that since Abductor is a popular antagonist that people regularly want to trade for or play, and late game antags are popular, why not add a crashed aliens as a midround antag roll.

Think solo op but for abductors, limited toolset, weaker version of the rull round antag.
It would have to be a ghost role or a lot of creativity would be needed to justify it then.

Consider The Following:
1. Abductors, while they have the potential to be as dangerous as any other antag, are non-murderous and rely on being able to actually abduct people. There is no issue with this since a real antag making things tense is one of their greatest advantages.
2. This is where the main point of this post comes to play - How exactly would solo abductors fit when normal abductors are already a midround antag? I bet you're thinking "I'LL MAKE NORMAL ABDUCTORS INTO REAL ANTA-"
Remember that lone operatives are a weaker version of a pre-existing gamemode antag. That line of thinking doesn't apply here. As a lone antag, it basically relies on everyone acting like it's an extended round before randomly killing each other.
3. If normal abductors aren't going to be a gamemode tier antagonist like nuclear operatives then why would there be two events that are basically the same thing? There's a random event for slaughter demons to spawn, but not a random event for laughter demons because otherwise that'd just be clutter.

tl;dr sorry chief but it ain't working as a midround antag unless you get really creative
Okay then. Let me get really creative.
When the event spawns, it says there was a collision with lavaland, and a skyranger has been sent, estimate time of arrival, 2 days.
Alien spawns, and has a broken teleporter to the station. He can stay on the station for a maximum of 2 minutes, and then has to go back to lavaland shuttle for a minute. The goal is to use your limited powers to break into the vault, and use an alien device to the vault, or grav gen, or some other sensitive area, to repair that segment of your ship, that got damaged and forced you to land.
During a green shift, the alien can be hunted down by miners, who are vigilant. Motion alarms from those facilities can tip off the AI, and have sec sent. During a rev round where half the station is dead, the solo alien can break into the grav gen fairly easily because nobody is paying attention, and the abductors get more powerful
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #559944

Might be cool if it gets the objective to repair its ship and is given a disguise vest that it can use on its own/an alien baton/a shrink ray. Give it a data disk it can feed to a protolathe on the station that would print out a ship repair drive or something + alien metal to print it with, then when it gets back to its ship on lavaland the whole thing fades out star trek teleporter style. The crew could intercept the alien for valuable research and alien metal which could be better spent on crew-usable devices.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Helios

Post by Helios » #559952

PKPenguin321 wrote:Might be cool if it gets the objective to repair its ship and is given a disguise vest that it can use on its own/an alien baton/a shrink ray. Give it a data disk it can feed to a protolathe on the station that would print out a ship repair drive or something + alien metal to print it with, then when it gets back to its ship on lavaland the whole thing fades out star trek teleporter style. The crew could intercept the alien for valuable research and alien metal which could be better spent on crew-usable devices.
That's a great idea.
What should the rules of engagement be for that alien if shit has hit the fan on the station?
How would you seen an encounter with a single rev, or a group of revolutionaries out for blood look like?
If he got kidnapped by the cult, what would you picture happening. Would he or she become a cultist? Would something else happen?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #560066

You cannot add more lavaland content, if it is a crashed alien event, it has to be based around interacting with the station.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current