Significant damage can jolt people out of stam crit

A place to record your ideas for the game.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Significant damage can jolt people out of stam crit

Post by wesoda25 » #560905

Inspired by this quote from SkeletalElite: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... -624976915 on the baton PR.

The idea is basically this: what if taking x amount of damage (I tentatively say ~25) can shock you (or has a chance to) out of stam crit? Alternatively, every time you are hurt in stam crit has a chance of jolting you out of it, with the chance scaling upwards according to how severe the injury you received was. Additionally, we could consider some sort of small window of stamina resistance (possibly damage too) after being jolted out of stam crit, or even a slight speed boost.

This would have the effect greatly weakening murderboners who use stun (stamina) weapons to immobilize someone before beating them with an object of their choice. Not just for murderboners, it would greatly shift our combat meta away from stun and kill.

Of course this would have massive effects on the game, so I wanted to make a thread and see if people had suggestions to improve the idea, or any reason why it shouldn’t be tried.
[this space reserved]
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Re: Significant damage can jolt people out of stam crit

Post by Helios » #560908

I would say yes, depending on the source of damage.
If it's toxin or suffocation no.
Fire or blunt, yes.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #560909

Careful with limiting it from suffocation. Krav Maga kills you via lung punch usually. And suffocation is already worth double it's own value in damage due to knocking you out if you're suffocating at 50 oxyloss.

Also I like this idea a lot though mentioned in the same thread, and it is worth mentioning here too, that you might see people cuff for singular murder. Not too big a deal, since cuffing everyone in a brawl is basically impossible with stamina damage alone or without help.

It might be a good idea to have a hardcap on how much stamina damage you can continue to do to someone to a person who is already in stamina crit. This can stop infinite stamcrit loops like we kinda have with the new stingbangs as well as tabling.

Do note, due to how stamcrit is coded, it overshoots you with stamina damage to prevent immediate regen out of stamina crit if you have passive stamina crit, so that will be need to be accounted for as well.
Last edited by NecromancerAnne on Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #560910

Yeah I figure if they take the time to cuff you, it’ll just get annoying if they’re trying to kill a lot of people.

Limiting to brute and burn is ideal I think, we shouldn’t balance around niche items like krav maga gloves.
[this space reserved]
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #560912

If it proves to be a problem, I suppose that can be resolved down the line if a change like this happened, though maybe this will be the return of combat chokes. I'm already picturing someone strangling someone in a stamina crit juggle while fighting off other opponents.

(That said choking is obscenely slow so it should not be much of an issue without addition help, like lung punch)
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #560916

I think it' obvious to say I like the idea given I'm the one that came up with it but I also had the idea it could be potentially tied to seconds winds from the wounds PR.

Addmittedly I don't have much experience with the wounds PR so I don't know how common they are, however if common enough, that could be a good way to tie the system in.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #560918

Given what I've seen so far, fairly common if you are getting beaten to a pulp.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #560919

oh I didn’t even know that PR had something like that, shaps update pr body!
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #560947

back when stamina damage stacked with normal damage i suggested this but i don't think it's needed any longer, makes stam crit lean too far towards useless
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #560949

what if I just use lethals instead
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #560990

Oh now that I think about it I think I know of another source of oxyloss. Neckslice. Still not very fast but stacks with choking.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #561034

Flatulent wrote:what if I just use lethals instead
antags already do, security have the expectation not to.

that being said the more i think about full lethals security the more i like it. Don't run, they'll shoot you and your 5 minute sentence just became 10 minutes and a patchup
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #561039

run and you will only die tired, citizen
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #561049

Armhulen wrote:
Flatulent wrote:what if I just use lethals instead
antags already do, security have the expectation not to.

that being said the more i think about full lethals security the more i like it. Don't run, they'll shoot you and your 5 minute sentence just became 10 minutes and a patchup
I would like it if they had the slightest obligation to pass you to medbay and give you a window to escape during treatment but as it is sec can just shoot you, drag you to their pathetic excuse for a medical room, and watch you bleed out while they search you then go "oh wow he died who could have expected that"
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #561065

That's a policy issue at that point if that's the direction we want to go with security.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #561088

I've always found it weird security is the only department expected to behave better than their real life counterparts.

Stun batons should be strictly worse than antag melee weapons (esword comes to mind) because at the moment they basically (still) define melee combat despite being an item given out like cookies roundstart. Whereas most antag weapons are more or less just memes for some flavour.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #561147

Iunno, I wouldn't call a power fist a meme.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #561151

I never really understood why stamina damage was separated from normal damage. It makes no sense for a person with a sucking chest wound to take just as much stamina damage to take down as a healthy person.

Why should stamina damage be different from normal damage other than it heals by itself and cant kill?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #561163

So you're saying a guy with say 50 brute would only need 50 stamina damage to take down?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #561165

Dr_bee wrote:I never really understood why stamina damage was separated from normal damage. It makes no sense for a person with a sucking chest wound to take just as much stamina damage to take down as a healthy person.

Why should stamina damage be different from normal damage other than it heals by itself and cant kill?
it used to stack with regular damage but it made it super easy to chainstun people to death with it
1. apply a shitload of stamina damage to knock them down, let's call it a flat 200, usually with a gun
2. apply toolbox for 10 damage per hit
3. their stamina regens bringing their total damage to 190
4. 190 + 10 brute from toolbox = 200 -> they are knocked down again
5. repeat from step 2 until dead
it unironically made stamina stronger than raw stuns

also whenever a "muh balance" retard added a stamina weapon over a stun weapon they would always always always balance it around it being used on a full health individual, so if you went into a fight even minorly wounded you were doubly fucked
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #561166

stamina stacking on normal damage is a terrible idea and has nothing to do with this thread
[this space reserved]
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #561384

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:I never really understood why stamina damage was separated from normal damage. It makes no sense for a person with a sucking chest wound to take just as much stamina damage to take down as a healthy person.

it used to stack with regular damage but it made it super easy to chainstun people to death with it
1. apply a shitload of stamina damage to knock them down, let's call it a flat 200, usually with a gun
2. apply toolbox for 10 damage per hit
3. their stamina regens bringing their total damage to 190
4. 190 + 10 brute from toolbox = 200 -> they are knocked down again
5. repeat from step 2 until dead
it unironically made stamina stronger than raw stuns

also whenever a "muh balance" retard added a stamina weapon over a stun weapon they would always always always balance it around it being used on a full health individual, so if you went into a fight even minorly wounded you were doubly fucked
As an example of this, enchanted mosins used to do 80 stamina and 5 brute for an effective 85 damage bullet. This was considered weak for wizards but obviously it is powerful as a stun that can't reasonably kill, unlike the other barrage spell, arcane barrage with 20 brute. But could be combined together with other weapons to be a chainstun.

Now it does 80 stamina and 20 brute.

Wait...
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561425

doesnt bamboo bones have "adrenaline" or something that does this?

having spear in head get you out of stamcrit only means bonnie mc murden is gonnna add a handcuff step in between shoot man with disabler and esword his head off
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #561531

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:doesnt bamboo bones have "adrenaline" or something that does this?

having spear in head get you out of stamcrit only means bonnie mc murden is gonnna add a handcuff step in between shoot man with disabler and esword his head off
That's fine because it adds a 5 second do_after to your kills and an additional do_after if you want the cuffs back. If you don't want the cuffs back you'll need to new ties/cables/cuffs for every kill.

It makes stun and kill less reliable since you have to stun cuff kill, which might just be enough to move the fighting meta away from stun and kill. Stun and kill will still be effective against single targets, but is not very useful against groups.

Also wounds PR has "second winds" but they will not heal your stamina damage, so stun and kill is still equally effective.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #561541

The second wind also heals .25 brute and burn per wound on the limb it's on, which stacks
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #562924

Make the disabler research only/cargo purchase, make a dragnet variant the default SEC starter handgun, make it teleport to some preset beacon in SEC like the processing cell. Emagged ones can teleport randomly or to an enabled teleporter target or whatever.

If you don't want it to be easier to lethal people than to disable them, the only possible way to make that happen is to have disabling weapons that make it more difficult to kill someone after they're down. Making baton->harmbaton into baton->cuff->harmbaton isn't going to do it.