Chasms and instant death

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Chasms and instant death

Post by Ivuchnu » #561047

Apparently bug that made chasms completely safe is fixed. Here's my idea on how to make chasms friendly to stuff like lag while still keeping them useful for body disposal, murder and such.
  • If you walk into chasm, good chance that you "grab edge", take stamina damage and climb out after a delay onto previous tile you occupied.
  • There's 5% chance of failure to do that, why not. And you will always fail with too much stamina damage, you were pushed or tossed in, paralyzed, cuffed, have no arms, or there's no longer free space on previous tile. Pushing or hitting someone in chasm should also send them flying. Grab or help intent should get them resting under you.
See https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Moat for comparison.

Why this is good for game: getting qdel()'d because you lagged a bit and walked into wrong tile is bullshit even by permadeath game standards.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Shikarego
Byond Username: Shikarego

Re: Chasms and instant death

Post by Shikarego » #561592

Honestly I found out by lagging into a chasm and not falling in, and I thought the change was intentional. I was thrilled.
I don't know if the Orange Squad (TM) has a particular reason for wanting to keep the chasm permadeath shit but I would much prefer it be removed for sure.
Bring back the bug, I say.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Re: Chasms and instant death

Post by ATHATH » #561858

This, but remove the 5% chance to fail to grab onto the ledge.

Alternatively, bring back the behavior accidentally introduced by that bug.

I wanna be able to recreate that scene from the Lion King.