On Revs and Reinforcing

A place to record your ideas for the game.
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

On Revs and Reinforcing

Post by stan_albatross » #562408

Reinforcing doors : not in nearly enough doors. To the best of my knowledge, only the vault door is reinforced, and from both an IC and OOC perspective this makes no sense. Why surround the ai with Multiple layers of r-walls when the doors can just be hacked? Why make the bridge, the armoury, heads of staff offices r-walled when the doors can get opened with three tools and some prior knowledge? A crowbar, screwdriver, and wirecutters can give any assistant aa if they know the test wire - which is not hard to find, and often shared on common, making it effortless to gain access to:
- The place where you can change the ai's laws
- The place where all the guns get kept
- The place where the captain (and disk and captain locker) is supposed to be safe in
- The supermatter, which can create a station-ending scenario

Why do these places have r-walls but the doors not one layer of protection?
Therefore I think the ai upload, armoury, captain's quarters, and ai sat should all have Tier 3 reinforcing on their doors
Head of staff offices, bridge doors, brig doors, and other command area doors such as eva or the teleporter should have tier 2 reinforcing.

Now, onto Revolution (the gamemode)

Revs lacks both depth and variation. The gameplay of a rev round is simplistic and boring - rev man kills head, sec man camps in cargo. Head camps in cargo with sec and headrevs contribute very little, as once the revolution gets going a rev will opt to kill anyone hostile to them if a headrev is not in visual range, rather than convert them. Rev conversion is obvious - anyone seeing a man flashing other people in the halls will be quick to scream about it to sec - and the revheads get no tools to make conversion more stealthy other than the same flash they start with. Comparing revs to blood cult shows how shallow rev gameplay is - a cult can do all sorts of things with cult structures, spells, runes, strategies, constructs - and likewise the crew can do all manner of things when faced with a cult threat - they can use the chaplain to bless rooms and deconvert, raid the main base or make the cult come to them, purify soulstones, the possibilities are endless. As of now revs feels like the extended version of an antagonist - you are given little to work with and little opportunity to play how you want. Can a single person say they have more fun as headrev than as roundstart cultist? People talk about their grand space bases and lavaland raids when talking about cult rounds; people talk about how the admins threw a rod at someone hiding in a locker during a rev round. Revs is a fundamentally repetitive and restrictive gamemode/antagonist that is generic and boring.

There are three paths that can be taken from here on out - keeping revs as it is, reworking the gamemode, or dumping it. Perhaps the revolutionaries could recieve supplies from other rev-controlled stations if they complete certain side tasks such as sabotage, and security could recieve reinforcements for proving revolutionary activity to nanotrasen. More ideas requested, these are just a few preliminary ones. As it stands we have nothing to lose from a rev rework, and everything to gain from it.
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Re: On Revs and Reinforcing

Post by BrianBackslide » #562419

Biggest problem with Revs are the situations where the round cannot end because a Rev/Head is hiding/SSD in a locker in maint somewhere. This is much worse on dynamic rounds where you can have Tators/Lings/Wizards, so you might not even KNOW there's revs.
Unlike cult, Revs get no tell when they get big enough, and Heads can disguise themselves easily if they know what they're doing. At the same time, adding such a tell wouldn't really make sense. For what it's worth, I don't think Dynamic Revs should be a thing as it redtexts any Antags with escape objectives.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #562612

Why is the station filled with deliberate vulnerabilities for the players to exploit? We must remove each of these one by one imperceptibly over a number of years and a number of generations of players until the station is a fortress and no one can get anywhere their job doesn't allow them to be. The game is meant to be a job simulator and roleplay hangout in the same vein as Furcadia and conflict gets in the way of that. Friendly workplace environment not paranoia-laden metal deathtrap ok.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #562699

cacogen wrote:Why is the station filled with deliberate vulnerabilities for the players to exploit? We must remove each of these one by one imperceptibly over a number of years and a number of generations of players until the station is a fortress and no one can get anywhere their job doesn't allow them to be. The game is meant to be a job simulator and roleplay hangout in the same vein as Furcadia and conflict gets in the way of that. Friendly workplace environment not paranoia-laden metal deathtrap ok.
It's hardly "paranoia-laden" when you know the moment every assistant spawns in and they see that "captainship not forced on anyone" they are going to rush straight to tool storage, grab tools and rush the spare. Spare rush devalues several traitor items which are meant to gain you access into areas you have none to (airlock override card, c4, x4). It's not balanced to have a traitor item that is completely surpassed by three ingame items (screwdriver, multitool, and crowbar). Hacking is currently overpowered in that it can open every door on the station with little effort, and the crux of the problem is that this is all too often used by non-antagonists. Obviously nobody has a problem with antagonists gaining access to restricted areas as evidenced by the numerous items mentioned above, but the greytiding enabled by lack of anti-hacking countermeasures is rampant and generally just makes the game and its balance worse. Assistants are not meant to have all-access. No normal player should be able to gain all-access without significant effort, and currently spare rushes can take as little as three or four minutes. Spare rush ruins rounds and is generally cancerous to the majority of players who sign up for a job, and expect to be doing it on that particular round. The only people I see who would dislike this idea are the aforementioned spare rushing assistant rollers, and in my opinion the game would be a better place without those types of people.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #562702

what if instead of jonathan livingston seagull it was stanley deadington albatross and he died of severe burns after an assistant hacked his airlock
NSFW:

Kolinko
Byond Username: LMoore

Post by Kolinko » #562710

Airlocks should have their wires randomized based on the area they are in and high risk airlocks such as armory, captain, and SM airlocks should have extra reinforcement.

Finding the test wire is really easy, so doing this would add a much wanted tiding delay. Delay (not prevention) is key.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #562713

i just want the hop office on metastation to have reinforcing so i can be a shit hop and close the shutters on people without assistants teleporting behind me
NSFW:

stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #577819

Kolinko wrote:Airlocks should have their wires randomized based on the area they are in and high risk airlocks such as armory, captain, and SM airlocks should have extra reinforcement.

Finding the test wire is really easy, so doing this would add a much wanted tiding delay. Delay (not prevention) is key.
didn't this recently get added? I haven't played tg in a while
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #577848

ATTACK SECURITY UNTIL IT DIES
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #577921

stan_albatross wrote:
Kolinko wrote:Airlocks should have their wires randomized based on the area they are in and high risk airlocks such as armory, captain, and SM airlocks should have extra reinforcement.

didn't this recently get added? I haven't played tg in a while
Yes it did, except for the reinforcement part, I still think that should happen.