melee combat is boring and i want more martial arts

A place to record your ideas for the game.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

melee combat is boring and i want more martial arts

Post by saprasam » #564176

add more martial arts that people, antags or not can get
remove stunmeta, its still in the fucking game
make melee combat more interesting, being hit slowing you(?), blunt attacks hitting in an arc doing 33% less damage depending on whatever side of the swing you're on, make sharp weapons swing forwards, have long weapons like spears be able to attack a tile further like the extendo hand, have it be possible to charge weapons by holding lmb for a few seconds,
there is not a single way in hell anybody will try to code this but i want melee combat to be more interesting then just "click person with item until horizontal" or "hit enemy with stunny until horizontal and not get up" and the stunmeta right now makes everything that doesnt have stuns or stun related actions to it near useless outside of a VERY TINY niche.
tldr: when you code it lol
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: melee combat is boring and i want more martial arts

Post by wesoda25 » #564177

imo martial arts fucking suck, combos are ass, we should opt for stuff like krav maga abilities (less powerful though - give stuff like a two tile shove, weapon steal, etc) and give people with the martial arts passive buffs (already there)
[this space reserved]
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #564186

wesoda25 wrote:imo martial arts fucking suck, combos are ass, we should opt for stuff like krav maga abilities (less powerful though - give stuff like a two tile shove, weapon steal, etc) and give people with the martial arts passive buffs (already there)
anything is better then click on opponent many time get win
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #564188

We really need swing melee to replace having to click rapidly-moving sprites
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #564208

we went from click man to enviromental combat not a while ago
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #564210

what is swing combat? is it where different weapons have different sized arcs and it's about the weapon touching their sprite rather than your ability to click it? like hotline miami or streets of rogue?
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #564212

Pretty much what i had in mind, the tile you hit is based on the direction you click on. There's plenty of variations that can be tacked on top like multi-tile swings, charging attacks, and so on, but that's the basic idea that would make melee combat not suicide for people with bad ping or who can't consistently hit a rapidly-moving sprite with their mouse.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #564322

stabbing weapons would thrust forward or something, who knows. there's a lot you could do with it and weapons could also be balanced by their attack pattern more than just THIS DO MORE DAMAGE THAN THIS
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #564327

Armhulen wrote:stabbing weapons would thrust forward or something, who knows. there's a lot you could do with it and weapons could also be balanced by their attack pattern more than just THIS DO MORE DAMAGE THAN THIS
small blunt weapons could slow on hit and have a fast arc, large blunt weapons could slow longer but have a far slower swingtime, charging up melee attacks could knockdown for longer periods of time depending on charge time, >stun< weapons could do triple stamina damage of their force (it's like 10 isnt it?) and do even more depending on how long it's charged, large weapons while held should have a generally tiny 5% chance to block, but swinging or charging a hit leaves you wide open to damage especially if it's a weapon with high block (see: shields), have a button to dual wield large/heavy weapons for increased damage, potentially have there just be a blocking feature in general where you can block attacks with a button but charge attacks can break the block and do 2x damage
ok i'm out of details for my autism rant, i WANT INTERESTING AND UNIQUE WEAPON EFFECTS TOO. I'LL MAKE THOSE LATER. I WILL POUR MY RETARDATION INTO THIS.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #564330

with shaps wounds pr now will be a great time to rework melee
[this space reserved]
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #564410

Swing arcs would be cool. I planned on doing them a long time ago, but there's a lot of little implementation details that need to be considered.

An idea Errorage had that I recently remembered was to make it so when people attacked you in melee, you'd get a little warning on the top right corner of your screen (where choking and other status warning are shown) that's a picture of the person who attacked you and when you clicked it, it'd count as clicking on the person. So instead of trying to spam a moving icon running around at the speed of sound, you'd just click on the static icon on your screen.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #564416

I like where combat is right now.
The power gap between energy weapons and melee ones is huge when running around aft hallways, or departure lounges, but much less so in twisty maintenance corridors. And hell, with many melee weapons knockdowns it's far better.
The idea that as a smart player you can kite mobs and kill them with floor tiles, but such tactics would never work with a human player as they'd either stop following you, or if they were sec they'd just shoot you.
Last edited by Helios on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #564518

Swing melee sounds dope.

If you're swinging an item that's large/long enough to get a multi-tile hit area, it should clonk against walls if you're next to one and fail to actually hit anything. Could do neat things like making deswords nonviable in small 1-tile-wide maint passages.
OTOH, a method to force stab/swing (even if the weapon defaults to one or the other) would mean that you could still try to stab with a desword and be fine, it just wouldn't grant the multi-tile hit and you'd have to remember to actually use stab.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #564615

wesoda25 wrote:with shaps wounds pr now will be a great time to rework melee
Imagine martial arts oriented around arm locks and restraining positions and dislocating limbs etc.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #564686

martial arts are poo code
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #564880

MisterPerson wrote:An idea Errorage had that I recently remembered was to make it so when people attacked you in melee, you'd get a little warning on the top right corner of your screen (where choking and other status warning are shown) that's a picture of the person who attacked you and when you clicked it, it'd count as clicking on the person. So instead of trying to spam a moving icon running around at the speed of sound, you'd just click on the static icon on your screen.
based and yellowglovepilled
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #564892

That wouldn't help until you get hit, though, and the first hit can be a pretty big advantage
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

atomic1fire
Byond Username: Atomic1fire

Post by atomic1fire » #564942

I still think drunk boxing should be a thing for space station 13.

Get your alcohol amount at a certain amount and combat changes to fit how a drunk person would act. The risk being you can also poison yourself and pass out, plus stuns upon vomiting.

People with actual martial arts gloves/skills would probably keep their martial arts skills.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #565720

There was once a point where the Chaplain could be a martial arts trainer and teach MA, but that got removed for being OP

I wonder if it can come back in a neutered time-gated, more round-progression friendly state, using the altar system.

@maintainers @maintainers

Last bumped by saprasam on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 am.
► Show Spoiler