Poisoned sharp weapons

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Poisoned sharp weapons

Post by Ivuchnu » #565836

Not entirely sure if we need this in current state of medbay nerfs, as it's largely carbon antag buff. Wounds PR Heparin change gave me this idea.
A powerful anticoagulant. All open sharp wounds on the victim will open up and bleed much faster. Increases bleed flow by 0.5. Doesn't work unless the victim has a sharp wound.
Pretty fucking useless now unless you inflict cut, right? Shoot someone with heparin and then stab them with knife? At this point you can just do your favorite syringe killchem mix and not bother with knife. But look, heparin has low metabolisation rate of 0.08 per tick! What if stabbing person is all you want?

So, here's the idea.
  • You can apply reagents to sharp weapons by using beaker-like reagent container on one. This will allow you to apply very low dose of poison to your victim.
  • Different things hold different amount of reagents, scalpels holding something like 0.5..1 + 3 units, knives 1..3 + 3 and bigger things holding even more.
  • Things to consider: liver removing 3u and below of toxins. Any way to skip this mechanic for poisoned knife stab thing? I'd like scalpel to cause victim to process from 0.5 to 1 units worth of poison, not enable someone with two scalpels to apply 7..8 units of thing, that is in conflict with next point.
  • Reagent volume is balanced around being useful only for spooky low-metabolism chems to not tread on syringegun and sleepy pen too much.
  • Once you successfully inflict cut wound with weapon, reagents are transferred to victim in entirety for small weapons and fraction for stuff like motherfucking swords both for balance and realism reasons (not entirety of blade would come in contact with flesh of victim, right?), removing it from weapon. Non-fully coated swords would not proc poisoning all the time either.
  • Applying poison to your weapon of choice should take time scaling with applied volume so that you don't dip your knife in poison during combat for balance & realism again.
Why this is good for game?
More freedom in how to make spacemen horizontal.
Last edited by Ivuchnu on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Poisoned sharp weapons

Post by wesoda25 » #565837

It’s obviously a very fun idea, but balance wise is questionable.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #565838

anything can be balanced
e.g. make it wear off after x attacks and/or scale the power of the reaction applied

honestly didn't read anything but the title though tbh
Last edited by cacogen on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #565843

Honestly I wasn't really sure if herapin would even be viable with this change since you'd have to cut someone up as well as deliver the poison, but this might be a viable change to make further down the road. Would make it a little more viable to use at least
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #565848

I think goon has this in the form of reagent tipped scalpels.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Angust
Byond Username: Angust

Post by Angust » #565883

Heparin becoming situational was a good change imo. It and lexorin were already the best of the easily available poisons, so with the upcoming lexorin nerf the reagents used in syringe guns may become more varied.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #565905

As long as there's green splats that appear as the poison damages you