Add an automatic shuttle call if 80% of the crew are dead

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Add an automatic shuttle call if 80% of the crew are dead

Post by Helios » #565951

There should be an automatic shuttle call, if 80% of the crew on the crew monitor are dead.
The main reason for this is low-pop rounds, where no admins are on to push buttons. If this was only enabled when no admins are online, that would also be fine.
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Re: Add an automatic shuttle call if 80% of the crew are dead

Post by Ivuchnu » #565957

vote - Restart
ooc "ided plsrestard"

usually took care of it from what I remember. TBH getting roundremoved because you died to some bullshit and there's no good ghost role substitute is bullshit. I think adding respawn mechanic is better choice. I think Eris handles life and death pretty good (supposedly there's permadeath + respawn) but I did not play there.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565960

Getting automatic shuttle call because couple of assistants died and logged off sounds lame.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #565968

dont play on ded pop
Helios

Post by Helios » #566042

Ivuchnu wrote:Getting automatic shuttle call because couple of assistants died and logged off sounds lame.
80% of the crew dying is not a "couple assistants"
If this is actually a concern, take off their uniforms before you throw them in the morgue. It's a good habit anyways for dealing with suicides, makes the crew monitor more accurate.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #566107

What would be purpose of shuttle autocall? Lowpop cringe murderbone mitigation or long rounds and someone observeganging (either from dying to some bullshit or hitting Observe button) going "Oh no, this gonna drag for hours because there's 3 players whiteshipping"?

I think "vote - Restart" takes care of cases where game is not playable for majority of players. If you are stuck being a ghost, advocate for respawn mechanics instead, currently there's only posibrains and xenobio golems/sentience potions, all powered by players doing related jobs. I don't feel there's need to end deadpop rounds as they naturally tend to be long: individual player normally does multiple jobs and thus it takes longer to accomplish things. Also there's normally time for crew content powered projects and people use it in way Extended rounds go for some.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566112

Derelict drone is a lot of fun, especially with borgs!
Helios

Post by Helios » #566132

Ivuchnu wrote:What would be purpose of shuttle autocall? Lowpop cringe murderbone mitigation or long rounds and someone observeganging (either from dying to some bullshit or hitting Observe button) going "Oh no, this gonna drag for hours because there's 3 players whiteshipping"?

I think "vote - Restart" takes care of cases where game is not playable for majority of players. If you are stuck being a ghost, advocate for respawn mechanics instead, currently there's only posibrains and xenobio golems/sentience potions, all powered by players doing related jobs. I don't feel there's need to end deadpop rounds as they naturally tend to be long: individual player normally does multiple jobs and thus it takes longer to accomplish things. Also there's normally time for crew content powered projects and people use it in way Extended rounds go for some.
Plasmafires are the point.
You can fairly easily survive a plasmaflood, by welding the vents into your workplace and dropping shutters. But you can't leave, and you can't change the round in anyway.
Plasmafloods can be a softlock on the round that only can be resolved by a restart. Having an autocall shuttle means the roboticist trapped in robo has something to do instead of wait until he dies from the plasmaflood or restart. More so if he's a tator and accomplished his objective.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #566138

How the hell do you end up with plasma flood without rogue AI on your ass that is plasmaflooding your workplace? Plasma fire in halls because couple of hacked air alarms or simply released can of plasma - you probably can pull off making Firefighter Ripley MK-II to stomp away to space or to harmclamp someone. I don't remember hyper efficient plasma floods that forbid you from ducking into maint unless done by good silicon player either (in that case "trapped but not dead" would be rare). I think this is just within "not playable for majority" cringe murderbone category, if it's good plasmaflood. If bad, you probably died to incompetence. If you are alone in dying, leave survivors to struggle against environmental hazard or do "vote - Restart" if round cannot be salvaged, murderboner does not call shuttle and dchat is full.

I don't see benefit in autocall being added if "vote - Restart" is there. If too many rounds on Bagil are deadpop plasmafloods, consider playing on Manuel where speedrunning round end is discouraged but occasional hijack objective will allow you to sometimes struggle against stuff like floods. Neither I see why it should be tied to suit sensors system.

EDIT: Maybe deadchat-only vote on Centcomm calling shuttle would fill niche you suggest? "restart"-like vote but for those "ided plsrestard" moments that is equivalent of restart vote but not visible to living, living players (anyone who is logged in and controlling conscious mob, no suit sensors nonsense) are automatic "Continue Playing" while ghosts may pick "Continue Playing" vs "Call emergency shuttle", no default vote.
TheMidnghtRose
Byond Username: TheMidnightRose

Post by TheMidnghtRose » #566566

There already is a feature to autocall the shuttle. There are two versions of it even. When population reaches critical amounts. I think around either 25% living or 15% living. Or when All consoles/AI are destroyed. Both result in a 25min autocall.
The big downside is the first of the two does not discriminate between crew living and other roles living. Just the amount of living players in the game.
Emerald Gleaner -/Roboticist/Replica AI Series
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566570

Rose,
Would you prefer to see the first changed to only consider crew on manifest?
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #566760

People saying "lol couple assistants dying needs shouldn't cause a force shuttle call!"

20% of 60 is 12 alive lol, 16 left alive for 80 players. That's what some of the servers average at. Even on very low pop, like 20, it would only be 4 people left alive still. That's more than a couple of "assistants dying" and should very much call for a shuttle call.