Split Mining into two jobs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Split Mining into two jobs

Post by Vekter » #566325

One that actually mines and one that fights fauna. The mining job can work for exploration better and still handle small fauna while the monster hunter ones take care of the big boys. Then we don't have to balance everything in Mining around combat only.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Split Mining into two jobs

Post by Flatulent » #566326

what stops me from going to kill fauna anyway when I don’t get the fauna killer roll

splitting job fixes nothing
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #566337

How are you not gonna balance everything in monster hunters around combat?
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #566341

Iatots wrote:How are you not gonna balance everything in monster hunters around combat?
could jus maake the basically miner a cargo tech with a pickaxe and keep hunters with the standard miner shit lol

its a bad idea either way we have the public mining dock could use that idk
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #566382

Iatots wrote:How are you not gonna balance everything in monster hunters around combat?
The shaft miner currently has better gear then the captain.
This was okay, at a time when you would reliably get one piece of gear in a shift. This ceases to work when it is the same few people, getting multiple pieces of gear, consistently, and being consistently the most strong player in combat, back on the station.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566384

Vekter wrote:One that actually mines and one that fights fauna. The mining job can work for exploration better and still handle small fauna while the monster hunter ones take care of the big boys. Then we don't have to balance everything in Mining around combat only.
I hate this idea because mining isn't fun

Edit: and by this I mean, it's like you mine to gain epic gamer gear that'll prevent you from dying like the jaunter to prevent chasms from gibbing you, the pocket fire extinguisher, jump boots, survival pens and stabilizing serums.

The whole reward in mining is to have a better chance at surviving the big bad megafauna

So if you split the rewarding aspect into a whole different job and just leave the boring monotonous chore aspect. You're creating Janitor levels of get fucked.
► Show Spoiler
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #566388

splitting mining is extremely dent head thinking my dude, Miners often provide minerals needed, cargo can literally print and buy the tools they need to gather more ore and there's the public mining area for literally anyone to mine and get ores with.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #566395

bad take that doesn’t get any better upon being regurgitated by someone new
[this space reserved]
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #566417

split the game to "interesting" and "cookie clicker" ? i m all in for removing all the "cookie clicker" out of the game and keep the interesting part in so making megafauna spit ores when they die and removing click ore adventure is a better solution
Helios

Post by Helios » #566422

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:split the game to "interesting" and "cookie clicker" ? i m all in for removing all the "cookie clicker" out of the game and keep the interesting part in so making megafauna spit ores when they die and removing click ore adventure is a better solution
The problem is that section of the game is becoming more and more seperated from the game.
When we still had asteroidmining, it was a natural extension of the game. Mechanics could easily translate from one section to another. An white suit you stole from EVA would have many of the same protections, and you could accidentally end up on mining when traveling through z-levels. Now it has become more distant through lavaland, and finally if you make the job of a shaft miner hunting monsters exclusively, rather then presumably mining, you'll have destroyed the job entirely
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #566423

I mainly suggested it as a way to address how miners basically finish mining by the first 20 minutes and then fuck off for the rest of the round. I want to find a solution for this that isn't just "make you have to mine more".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #566427

Potential idea: heavily nerf the amount of minerals inside rock walls, and make the rarer ones not spawn there altogether.
Instead, place several 'underground veins' which are marked by one or multiple floortiles, upon which miners or cargo techs can build a mining extractor providing a steady trickle of that mineral (it could directly beam them through bluespace, or it could require to manually pick it up until an upgrade is researched).

Ideally the balance would incentivize trying to explore the surface to try and set up as many extractors as possible.

Miners would then pretty much turn into explorers/hunters. While they go looking for tendrils and bosses, they can mark mineral veins to exploit by using beacons, or set the drills up themselves if they want to give up some inventory space to carry the materials to make them.

That way, there is no mind-numbing mining job left to do, and miners are constantly if indirectly involved with the acquisition of minerals.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #566454

I can think of one easy way to encourage exploration and actually prevent miners from speedrunning fauna/tendrils.

Remove GPS signals from fauna and tendrils. This way you mine a lot of shit, while exploring, and you don't just rush the G A M E R L O O T
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #566457

XDTM wrote:Potential idea: heavily nerf the amount of minerals inside rock walls, and make the rarer ones not spawn there altogether.
Instead, place several 'underground veins' which are marked by one or multiple floortiles, upon which miners or cargo techs can build a mining extractor providing a steady trickle of that mineral (it could directly beam them through bluespace, or it could require to manually pick it up until an upgrade is researched).

Ideally the balance would incentivize trying to explore the surface to try and set up as many extractors as possible.

Miners would then pretty much turn into explorers/hunters. While they go looking for tendrils and bosses, they can mark mineral veins to exploit by using beacons, or set the drills up themselves if they want to give up some inventory space to carry the materials to make them.

That way, there is no mind-numbing mining job left to do, and miners are constantly if indirectly involved with the acquisition of minerals.
I... actually like this idea. A lot. Holy shit, okay. Drop those mining extractors down, someone (probably the QM) gets notifications if they run dry. I could imagine it requiring you to bring shit back until you can upgrade it to bluespace.
Spoiler:

Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566476

I like mining fr ore and getting my job stolen by people who fuck off and get killed by megafauna roundstart make me sad. I'd really really appreciate if the megafauna fights got a different job so I can mining and hill more.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566478

Jack7D1 wrote:I like mining fr ore and getting my job stolen by people who fuck off and get killed by megafauna roundstart make me sad. I'd really really appreciate if the megafauna fights got a different job so I can mining and hill more.
gamer i am generally curious

what about making rock go poof is fun!!!!
► Show Spoiler
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #566481

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Jack7D1 wrote:I like mining fr ore and getting my job stolen by people who fuck off and get killed by megafauna roundstart make me sad. I'd really really appreciate if the megafauna fights got a different job so I can mining and hill more.
gamer i am generally curious

what about making rock go poof is fun!!!!
minecraft came out before he was born he hasn't had the chance to enjoy rock go poof yet
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566492

It's relaxing frankly. It's nice to get the luxery bar and relax in your space bar with friends.
TheMidnghtRose
Byond Username: TheMidnightRose

Post by TheMidnghtRose » #566567

XDTM wrote:Potential idea: heavily nerf the amount of minerals inside rock walls, and make the rarer ones not spawn there altogether.

We can also shove the megafauna down a level on lavaland with the rarer resources. With the shuttle able to choose between upper level mining and lower level mining. This might even ensure less mining teamwipes.
Emerald Gleaner -/Roboticist/Replica AI Series
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #566569

Let cargo techs set up the drills, it'll give them extra stuff to do. It's not a whole job worth of content but it'll freshen up a different job
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566573

and we let robotics build those mechs to use those drills

you did remember that lavaland shall be kaiju fights only? remember?
► Show Spoiler
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #566584

Honestly there's a lot of real estate that could come from extractors on Lavaland's surface that beam stuff back to the station- you could expand it out to resources for chemistry, something to extract seeds to send up to botany, that sort of stuff.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #566596

there is no reason to split mining into 2 jobs, this will cause the actual new miner job to have nothing to do except do the most boring stuff in the game and the explorer to just treat rocks as barricades to shoot through to get to every target on the map
Helios

Post by Helios » #566602

Fikou wrote:there is no reason to split mining into 2 jobs, this will cause the actual new miner job to have nothing to do except do the most boring stuff in the game and the explorer to just treat rocks as barricades to shoot through to get to every target on the map
Unless we give them new jobs, like setting up extractors. If we make a new job that has nothing to do, we can give them jobs to do
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #566608

more extractor ideas:

you can turbo it for extra resources but it ll start spawning mobs around you "attracted by the noise" and you have to defend it
ashliggers get a pinpointer to it
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #566609

>i like mining just for mining

you are in the minority sorry, asteroid was pretty dead and iirc stats say the staton on average gets more ore now than it did then.

making a miner job will generally just result in less ore unless the explorers can mine as well, fat chance if you nerf the ore too.

>remove gps signals / nerf ores / etc

nothing about this is going to stop people from killing mobs you are just going to get less ore, science directly interacting with mining through beaming up ores sounds cool though.

>miner gets better gear than the captain consistently!

yeah it does, and so do other jobs, most more consistently than the miner who has the chance of permadeath.

mechs, xenobio, genetics, atmos techs, botany, all pretty consistent and strategized powerhouses.

>mining is disconnected from the station

do you have a problem with space ruins too? what about the atmos techs hiding in maint ignoring the conflict of the round to focus on research?

what about this bothers you so much, that they appear out of nowhere with op shit? what about people who build mechs in the robotics maintenance area does that bother you too?

mining is really not that much different from existing jobs other than the fact that they frequently interact with the combat mechanics so they are pretty much automatically more robust than you. there’s a reason the most robust players are miners and continue to be robust even when not playing miner.
retired ss13 coderman
Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566617

I hate Atmos techs who do fusion every round. It makes me sad because they make tons of radiation and burn all our oxygen :(
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #566621

Removing GPS signals actually wouldn’t be a bad idea.
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #566711

well we gotta do something
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #566724

Mining won't stop being "GAMER GEAR" without said gear being harder to access. I actually liked Orange's pitch ages ago that mechs were for murdering ridiculously strong monsters.

What if -> Mechs get reworked to be more agile but at the same time a lot more fragile/vulnerable so they're balanced on station.
Mining Monsters get buffed to be basically unkillable on foot (I'm thinking bullet-hell style challenge)

Miners have to directly feed robotics if they want to get gamer gear
Mechs that get produced early will probably be looted by miners and wont kill all antags on station
Mechs get to be based more on pilot skill than "I am 1000hp Durand fear me!"
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #566725

So basically, turn mining into factorio.

Let's do it.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #566740

icebox has a good idea for this, despite the flaws icemoon has.
the lower you go, the more dangerous it gets, but the better the ores become. more ores = more heals = more gamer loot.
the lowest level of icemoon has monsters that pose an actual threat if you're not careful. demonic watchers and ash drakes can actually fuck you up if you're not careful. compare that to lavaland, which, aside from megafauna, is only dangerous if you get chaingrabbed by like 3 goliaths.
tl;dr: make mining more dangerous or at least change it up if you don't like expert miners rushing ash drake armor 10 minutes in.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #566851

remanseptim wrote:the lowest level of icemoon has monsters that pose an actual threat if you're not careful. demonic watchers and ash drakes can actually fuck you up if you're not careful. compare that to lavaland, which, aside from megafauna, is only dangerous if you get chaingrabbed by like 3 goliaths
demonic watchers are easy to kill by just crushing them with PKC and dodging their lasers, ice whelps are easy to kite
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #566861

Helios wrote:
Fikou wrote:there is no reason to split mining into 2 jobs, this will cause the actual new miner job to have nothing to do except do the most boring stuff in the game and the explorer to just treat rocks as barricades to shoot through to get to every target on the map
Unless we give them new jobs, like setting up extractors. If we make a new job that has nothing to do, we can give them jobs to do
not gonna lie, chief, "setting up extractors" doesn't sound like a fun job to do, especially if the megafauna hunters are still gonna be getting cool loot and stuff.

like, jimmy mchunter just dueled a goddamn dragon and turned its hide into armor, and meanwhile you're sitting there with your extractor on a vein going "boy, I hope those lads in the science department appreciate the materials I'm mining! their satisfaction is enough of a reward for me!".
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #566952

nobody is going to do mining analogue of plumbing, ESPECIALLY when it doesn’t personally reward you with anything

chemists get grenades bath salts and other stupid shit, you commit a lot of time and you are rewarded for it, but what would extractor miners get?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566967

oranges wrote:well we gotta do something
"But if you gotta do something, gotta do something
Believe in yourself, yourself, yourself! Hey!" Keiko Utoku - Cosmic Eternity
► Show Spoiler
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #567020

Flatulent wrote:nobody is going to do mining analogue of plumbing, ESPECIALLY when it doesn’t personally reward you with anything

chemists get grenades bath salts and other stupid shit, you commit a lot of time and you are rewarded for it, but what would extractor miners get?
this 100 times for every time someone tries to turn mining into coal miner simulator

have fun with your minimum wage paycheck and lung disease what invigorating gameplay
retired ss13 coderman
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #567026

It's all a conspiracy, by effectively still leaving a "mining" job. The lavaland portion of it becomes a "This has no purpose to exist anymore, since we have now entirely separated it from the actual valuable to the station part. GUT IT NOW IT TAKES UP TOO MUCH CPU"

Because "your fun" on lavaland is valueless compared to Bar RP.
► Show Spoiler