Buff Breathing

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Buff Breathing

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #567265

Currently atmospherics is inconsequential to the rest of the station. Even if you had 100 spessmen running around for an hour, the default 101.3kpa pumps will handle the load perfectly fine. Optimizing the distro is a really cool/fun project on paper, but in practice it literally does not matter. Fires don't happen often enough, so spending 30 minutes tinkering with the waste loop typically isn't worth your time. Even if you burn the entire O2 supply on the station in the turbine (which does happen if you didn't know) spessmen don't breath hard enough to notice at all. If you don't play atmos tech and have no idea what I'm talking about, basically the default setup for the distribution of air throughout the station is insanely inefficient but it works fine anyway.

tldr: make atmos techs actually fit their job description of making sure the air is breathable

Here is a list of changes that can be made to achieve this:
-Make people breath more. For balancing, the default setup should only be able to handle low populations. Highpop should see adverse effects like 30 minutes in.
-Add CO2 poisoning. It would basically give people brain damage and O2 damage, I'm sure the wounds people would enjoy coding that.
-Decrease waste volume. Waste loop is crazy huge, managing waste/distro should be an actual problem.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Buff Breathing

Post by TheFinalPotato » #567268

I agree with your first point, gonna work my way down the list of ideas here
-Make people breath more. For balancing, the default setup should only be able to handle low populations. Highpop should see adverse effects like 30 minutes in.
More then doable, we might run into monster's meme about n2 buildup, but it shouldn't be any kind of large issue. Just gotta be sure o2 can last 2 hours or so on average.
-Add CO2 poisoning. It would basically give people brain damage and O2 damage, I'm sure the wounds people would enjoy coding that.
We uh, we already kinda have this. More then 10% co2 will knock you out and start dealing o2 damage to you. Also don't wish breathcode on your worst enemy.
-Decrease waste volume. Waste loop is crazy huge, managing waste/distro should be an actual problem.
Only feasible way to do this is to lower the volume of pipes, which would hamper flow in other areas, such as the sm.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #567270

TheFinalPotato wrote:Only feasible way to do this is to lower the volume of pipes, which would hamper flow in other areas, such as the sm.

Yeah I figured it would be done with a redesign of the waste loops on the maps, which would probably be a really small nerf to volume. If any mappers want to wade through that mess it would be very welcome. Touching pipe volume is dangerous as fuck I agree.
Redmoogle
Byond Username: Redmooogle

Post by Redmoogle » #567277

TheFinalPotato wrote:I agree with your first point, gonna work my way down the list of ideas here
More then doable, we might run into monster's meme about n2 buildup, but it shouldn't be any kind of large issue. Just gotta be sure o2 can last 2 hours or so on average.
We uh, we already kinda have this. More then 10% co2 will knock you out and start dealing o2 damage to you. Also don't wish breathcode on your worst enemy.
Only feasible way to do this is to lower the volume of pipes, which would hamper flow in other areas, such as the sm.
One of the ideas I had way pipes that take up multiple layers. Eg. Large pipe that has say 200L and takes up 3 layers, Medium Pipe that holds 75L and takes up 2, and a small pipe that takes up 1 layer but only holds 25L.

[1] Could have Large Filters that are compatible with well large pipes so that you could have
Spoiler:
thicc
big pipe sm

Edit: [1]
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #567280

*eats self respiration virus pill left at medbay 3 minutes into the round* checkmate
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #567284

Honestly, why are humans allowed to breath for what is effectively forever in a tiny ass airtight box? Definitely should Increase CO2 production.
Barring realism though, this would still make Atmos techs job feel more useful, since the air would slowly poison without them.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #567290

Jack7D1 wrote:Honestly, why are humans allowed to breath for what is effectively forever in a tiny ass airtight box? Definitely should Increase CO2 production.
Barring realism though, this would still make Atmos techs job feel more useful, since the air would slowly poison without them.
Scrubbers are set to scrub CO2 by default so CO2 production does nothing but mean new rooms actually need scrubbers.