Add the PTL from goonstation

A place to record your ideas for the game.
griffithlol
Byond Username: Griffithlol

Add the PTL from goonstation

Post by griffithlol » #567297

Something that frustrates me about tg is that there is really neat ways to increase power production, and the atmospherics and supermatter are both really cool things with lots of interesting possibilities, but there is no in-game incentive to do them. Actually, if anything, you are dissuaded because of the possibility of a delimation. The PTL exchanges excess power for money and this would be a cool way to make power generation something that everyone in the station would be interested in beyond my lights don't work.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Add the PTL from goonstation

Post by MisterPerson » #567301

Just to be clear, the PTL is the big mining laser that exchanges power for money, right?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #567302

MisterPerson wrote:Just to be clear, the PTL is the big mining laser that exchanges power for money, right?
Ehh, not really mining, just firing a laser at someone who wants a laser fired at him for reasons.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
griffithlol
Byond Username: Griffithlol

Post by griffithlol » #567312

it dosent have to be an actual laser, its more the idea of it exchanging power for money. Goon has shaped there maps around it, and thats pretty cool, but it dosent have to be that. It could be just a simple sprite, saves time.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #567389

Sure, but not yet. Both power and econ are not stable economies, they're being worked on but it'll be a bit till they stabilize.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #567425

Selling power for cash would be best accomplished by capacitor bank structures that function similarly to gas canisters, being wrenchable to a base connected to a powernet for charging (or discharging). That way you would include Cargo in the selling process.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #567426

Neither power (either you have much more power than you need or you don't have any) nor economy (prices are still pretty arbitrary) are in a stable balance state , and interlinking the two systems will make it even harder to accomplish in the future. If power could be sold in the current state of the game, you'd end up with infinite money considering the amount of power you can potentially get by boosting the engine.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #567452

make the bsa charge with actual power instead of draining whatver the cell had and firing
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #568549

knocked back multiple times because of previously mentioned issues with both of them.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #568607

the sell value could just decrease with each unit sold and recover naturally over time or there could just be limited demand
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #568618

zxaber wrote:Selling power for cash would be best accomplished by capacitor bank structures that function similarly to gas canisters, being wrenchable to a base connected to a powernet for charging (or discharging). That way you would include Cargo in the selling process.
Yeah I think it's important to involve logistics in this rather than just piping power to a megastructure
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman