So the BEPIS needs a fresh coat of paint.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

So the BEPIS needs a fresh coat of paint.

Post by Arcanemusic » #567763

So, with all the talk about RnD having an significant rework in using experiments, I've been thinking about how to make the BEPIS fit in that framework. It's been something on my mind ever since the economy discussed being removed, and having played a few good days of shifts where I was actively trying to make it work as a whole, the BEPIS is not in a terribly great place at the moment. Current issues are:
  1. It's too expensive for a single player to make it a "Job" within science.
  2. The rewards for failure or minor successes are so minor you wish you got a refund instead.
  3. When I originally mapped the BEPIS, it was meant to sit side by side with the experimentor, and then like 2 weeks later, someone thought to remap the experimentor, and shoved the BEPIS in some random holes in the wall on nearly every map.
  4. Specifically you, delta. You're just sitting in the hall by Robotics. What the fuck.
  5. Lastly, some of the reward techs are so exceptionally minuscule that they really should be merged together, like the Mauna mug and the rolling table. Both neat, but they each cost 6000+ credits each.
So, it's not doing too terribly hot in the direction it's been taken there, but the rewards themselves are exceptionally solid and I'm glad I spent the time giving it a robust enough framework that adding a new tech just takes the objects to be added and a single var being added to the technode.

SO! Here's what I want to keep and salvage out of the ideas presented:
  • It should have an economy interaction. Having scientists dedicate their time to earning research grants is both interesting and places crew in interesting situations.
  • The existing items within the technodes should stay, as on their own they're fun.
  • Possibly hold on to something with the gaussian normal formula I worked out but I could easily see that whole thing being yeeted.
I'd like to hear some thoughts and ideas on how it could potentially be reworked along these rough guidelines.

Potential thoughts and Ideas I've been workshopping:
YOMI.
Idea to be stolen wholesale from a little browser game called universal paperclips. It's a cookie clicker style game, but instead of getting things that just made more things to make more things (etc etc etc), the game is focused around Sidegrades. One of which is to obtain a currency called YOMI, you have to play a 2x2 grid game based around a prisoner's dilemma style minigames. You pick a strategy, the Ais all go against each other with specific preference on how to play the game, and you bet on the one who should win the hardest. Since there was a large emphasis on gambing and random chance in the first one, this sounds like a unique middle ground between "Roulette with extra steps" and "Playing Tetris to unlock techs". Would be an ordeal to figure out how to integrate it with economy however, but perhaps you could play it in reverse then? Instead of betting on a horse to win, you're provided a horse, and need to build a board that will hopefully cause your horse to win. Some Strategies are more random than others however, so there's distinct strategy involved.

But please god no more mini-currencies.
But please god more mini-currencies
In the radical opposite direction, INVESTING. We bring back the stock market. Stock market value is purely simulated, but the money you put in is real. Part of the Flavor of the BEPIS was originally that you were Micro-investing your cash in a simulation of the game economy to find products worth investing in, and then if successful, it would be produced as a full tech, ALA shark tank (Or dragons den for the british). instead, lets cut out the middleman. Now YOU have to invest your real money in order to buy the technodes themselves.
You would not get money back from this, just some unnamed bungopoint currency for completion, and upon reaching milestones would let you restart while being rewarded a BEPIS tech as a reward.
...Actually now that I think about it this idea's kinda coming together.

Throw out some ideas or implementation thoughts below
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Re: So the BEPIS needs a fresh coat of paint.

Post by trollbreeder » #567780

I say yeet the RNG and make it just an RnD console but with cold hard CASHMONEY as currency instead of research points.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: So the BEPIS needs a fresh coat of paint.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #567855

Put tetris into it so SS13 can be the objectively GOAT video game
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: