New Power to replace X-ray

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: New Power to replace X-ray

Post by Shaps-cloud » #570402

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/52311

Baesbol
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #570403

~~I think it would be great if there was framework for multiple limbs, so that geneticist could mutate and have 4 arms for instance. But that's, as I was assured, (probably) insanely hard to code, and I am not a coderman, so I'll just leave it here.~~
[EDIT] I did not read thread thoroughly enough
Maybe ultrahearing that'd let you hear through nearest walls and stuff? But that's nowhere near as useful as xray and would probably just create a ton of noise in chatbox with little benefit for the player.
Maybe being able to grow second heart? Or stronger bones structure that would reduce the risk of injuries expodentially? OR ability to dismorph your fingerprints so that security could not track you down?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #570416

Omni wrote:~~I think it would be great if there was framework for multiple limbs, so that geneticist could mutate and have 4 arms for instance. But that's, as I was assured, (probably) insanely hard to code, and I am not a coderman, so I'll just leave it here.~~
Maybe ultrahearing that'd let you hear through nearest walls and stuff? But that's nowhere near as useful as xray and would probably just create a ton of noise in chatbox with little benefit for the player.
Maybe being able to grow second heart? Or stronger bones structure that would reduce the risk of injuries expodentially? OR ability to dismorph your fingerprints so that security could not track you down?
Again, besides spritewise which could just be a mutation overlay that shows more arms, all the armscode works fine enough. The problem is that it's OP af
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #570471

Armhulen wrote:
Omni wrote:~~I think it would be great if there was framework for multiple limbs, so that geneticist could mutate and have 4 arms for instance. But that's, as I was assured, (probably) insanely hard to code, and I am not a coderman, so I'll just leave it here.~~
Again, besides spritewise which could just be a mutation overlay that shows more arms, all the armscode works fine enough. The problem is that it's OP af
Yeah, I guess. You could try to put some severe limitations on what can additional hands hold/ bunch of strong debuffs (like high mutation instability or however it's called nowadays, lower frequency/strength of attacks, longer knockdowns), but that'd require some design effort.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570576

Really the problem with it is that everything in the game is designed for two hands. There's no benefit to having three beyond having another slot to hold stuff in (or being able to tank having an arm chopped off I guess). As a result it's just not very interesting. Being able to third-hand a riot shield isn't just the best use of a third hand, it's pretty much the only proactive use, because having a third hand doesn't really do a whole lot.

A cooler idea would be a mutation that lets you attack with both hands at once so you can wield two weapons and swing them both at the same time, because that gives actual unique functionality to using multiple hands at once.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #571095

i wish the "high tier" mutations came with tradeoffs like hulk. hulk isnt balanced or anything but its always had an incredibly tangible tradeoff: you cant use guns. xray shouldve went down this route as the other "high tier" power and make you permanently susceptible to flashes and welding eye damage, as your xray vision makes you see straight through any eye protection. comes with the bonus of being able to wear a blindfold and still be able to see if you wanted to be an edgy motherfucker. i dont think this tradeoff nullifies the perceived issues with xray, but it would've put it in a more noticeably balanced state. also coulda just cranked up the xray instability to 40 like hulk, standardizing the "high tier" mutation's instability cost.
also mind reader is in dire need of an instability cost reduction. 40 instability for a power that has absolutely 1 niche: sussing out people who used genetics to change their identity. too bad you're the geneticist, so you would've seen them come in anyway.
PKPenguin321 wrote: A cooler idea would be a mutation that lets you attack with both hands at once so you can wield two weapons and swing them both at the same time, because that gives actual unique functionality to using multiple hands at once.
pretty simple conceptually aswell, call it ambidextrous, only applies off of attacks with harm intent and when you are holding 2 objects that deal damage. maybe the offhand weapon does 1/2 damage for balancing purposes.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #571096

catbeast transformation:

felinid only power, when you rest your hands count as legs but you cant use your hands when resting
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #571109

re-add x-ray, remove HARS.
one is useful and has lots of interesting uses, the other is literally redundant and just a combination of other disabilities.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #571262

remanseptim wrote:re-add x-ray, remove HARS.
one is useful and has lots of interesting uses, the other is literally redundant and just a combination of other disabilities.
hars lets you regenerate a damaged brain
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #571265

shoop da woop transformation that you can activate to yell "IM'A FIRIN MY LAZOR" perhaps on the radio. Then after a few moments, it fires a beam of pure energy in the direction you were facing, setting everything between you and the nearest wall on fire. Not too useful unless you know everyone in the hallway in front of you is an enemy, or if dealing with someone without any way to access an extinguisher.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness