Add toggle so you cant misclick Bags of Holding

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Add toggle so you cant misclick Bags of Holding

Post by Bombadil » #2877

Now that clicking has no delay this needs to be addressed in some fashion.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Re: Add toggle so you cant misclick Bags of Holding

Post by AseaHeru » #2903

There /where/ three threads on this in the old forums, and this is something I support.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #2968

No, don't do this. It's more !!FUN!! this way.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #2971

Well this !!FUN!! is getting people banned, or being used as an excuse to get unbanned. So i think its a good idea to add some kind of protection against it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #2972

An action that can get you banned, and with no way to discern a accidental or intentional click, is a bad system. There should be a notification of what your about to do, even if its ambiguous.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #2974

Psyentific wrote:No, don't do this. It's more !!FUN!! this way.
You do know that !!item!! means that item is on fire, do you.

And not that it's very interesting or something.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #2988

I'll code this, it's not a very difficult thing to do. May as well have the code so that it can be implemented easily.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #2994

Kelenius wrote:
Psyentific wrote:No, don't do this. It's more !!FUN!! this way.
You do know that !!item!! means that item is on fire, do you.

And not that it's very interesting or something.
Yes, that's why I say !!FUN!! as opposed to 'fun' ('airquotes')

But yes, people accidently bagging the bags of holdings is part of their charm. It's also griff, but that split-second where you realize you accidently bagged the bag is priceless. That half-second it takes the server to process "New Singularity" and there's nothing on your mind except "Aw shit."
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #3058

EDIT: I'm dumb, missed the point of the thread and posted this while I was tired.

Until you flip the toggle switch, the bag can't store large objects. As soon as you set it though, anything goes. I think this'd help prevent accidentally shoving a bag into another bag that hasn't even been touched yet, and would add a helpful extra step to silly RD's who think making a crate full of BoH's isn't is a good idea.
Last edited by KingLouisXIV on Thu May 01, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3080

I thought HoHs where bulky, not large...

But in general I support the above idea.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #3084

BOH's are a bulky item in game terms, but I believe Louis was just using large as a general adjective, rather than specifically w_class 3
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3092

Ah, that makes more sense.
Yah, a toggle for bulky items sounds good.I do keep repeating myself, dont I?

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #3187

PR for confirmation on NTS is up.

https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/511
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #3419

>NTstation exclusive

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #3484

Anyone who wants to mirror my PR on TGS is free to do so, and when it goes through on NTS I will mirror it to TGS. I just don't want to have to make any changes twice.
GoldenPotatoes

Post by GoldenPotatoes » #3607

Why not just add a 'safety' feature that disables the ability to stuff two together unless EMP'd or EMAG'd?
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #3626

>confirmation window pop-up

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they are bad bad bad bad, there's nothing more awful than stop moving because a window made you lose focus

STEPS TO DO:
Add a message of what the player is doing ("you begin to put a bag of holding inside of another bag of holding, the timespace is breaking!" something like that but less lame)
Shake the camera of the player (so they know that "oh god shit's hitting the fan")
Add a timer before doing the action!, so it would take a few seconds, 5? 7? to actually put a BoH inside of another BoH.
It could also be a visible message, so people around the person can stop him from creating a singularity.
And it can also have some special sound, who can be cancelled thanks to our helper procs mid-way. And some visual effect besides the camera shaking. (The shaking can only be for the player using the BoH, so it can't be abused)

Also you added an exploit with that code, you can use the BoH, get the window, go to the other side of the station, and confirm. You can even use the same BoH to get a million of confirmation windows on different BoHs, if I'm being clear.
I accept donations, click here
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3632

I would argue its a clear difference between two people's differing ideas of implementing an idea...

Aran's suggestion seems more effective however.
Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #3634

Steelpoint wrote:I would argue its a clear difference between two people's differing ideas of implementing an idea...

Aran's suggestion seems more effective however.
Take a special note of this part.
Aranclanos wrote:Also you added an exploit with that code, you can use the BoH, get the window, go to the other side of the station, and confirm. You can even use the same BoH to get a million of confirmation windows on different BoHs, if I'm being clear.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3635

Bugs happen all the time irrespective of code base, it happens all the time on TG as well as NT and quadtripple A+ games like Battleduty. The only difference here is that the coder decided to upload to NT first before TG.

It's not like he can fix or alter it.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #3647

Aranclanos wrote:>confirmation window pop-up

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they are bad bad bad bad, there's nothing more awful than stop moving because a window made you lose focus

STEPS TO DO:
Add a message of what the player is doing ("you begin to put a bag of holding inside of another bag of holding, the timespace is breaking!" something like that but less lame)
Shake the camera of the player (so they know that "oh god shit's hitting the fan")
Add a timer before doing the action!, so it would take a few seconds, 5? 7? to actually put a BoH inside of another BoH.
It could also be a visible message, so people around the person can stop him from creating a singularity.
And it can also have some special sound, who can be cancelled thanks to our helper procs mid-way. And some visual effect besides the camera shaking. (The shaking can only be for the player using the BoH, so it can't be abused)

Also you added an exploit with that code, you can use the BoH, get the window, go to the other side of the station, and confirm. You can even use the same BoH to get a million of confirmation windows on different BoHs, if I'm being clear.
Yeah, solid plan. Will implement.

Also, I'm afraid that having made a commit I'm now physically incapable of reading the posts of non-coders. Sucks, Kelenius and Steelpont!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3655

I've made several dozen commits to TG station and one or two to NT station, I'm still valid.
Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #3675

Drynwyn wrote:Also, I'm afraid that having made a commit I'm now physically incapable of reading the posts of non-coders. Sucks, Kelenius and Steelpont!
Actually, both of us made commits.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #3692

Aranclanos wrote:>confirmation window pop-up

STEPS TO DO:

I just want a toggle that makes it can't put BOH in a BOH or you can put a BoH in a BoH could be related to the item itself like toggling a flashlight on and off.

Also would this waiting 5-7 seconds still allow for the person to run and escape because standing still when it pops is not going to be family friendly to your organs.

Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #3710

I assume moving would cancel the action. Spawning a singularity with your bare hands and then running away is ridiculous.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #3712

Rolan7 wrote:I assume moving would cancel the action. Spawning a singularity with your bare hands and then running away is ridiculous.
So now BoHs are suicides? Where's the fun in that

AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3806

Keeping alive as the rest of the station.
Death is not, nor has it ever (in the past year atleast) been fun.

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #4078

guys it was fixed lol
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #4162

You can still create 2 singularities with 3 bags of holding, or 3 with 4, 9 with 10, etc.
I accept donations, click here