Remove Ions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Remove Ions

Post by Critawakets » #571826

Yep, removing ions. Limiting EMPs aswell. This makes the game much better.

Having an anti-energy weapon on a station where everything uses electricity is a bit of an oof moment. You can pretty much cheese literally everything just by using an ion carbine.

"What about mechs, malf cyborgs and augmented peeps?" What, those arent supposed to be hard to stop? Even then you can just flash the cyborg or the augmented people.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Re: Remove Ions

Post by Ivuchnu » #571828

just flash the cyborg or the augmented people
*laughs in welding shield eyes*

Ions don't do much against someone who did not spend round powergaming augs at robotics.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #571891

"NOOOO!!!1 I DED?!!?!?!?! I...IM POWER ROLE! I SUPPOSE BE HARD TO STOP! REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571926

lmao this is the wackest take I’ve ever seen
[this space reserved]
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #571935

As someone who pretty much exclusively plays borg, removing ion weapons is daft.

The only EMP I despise is the cult one because it feels like bullshit to play against as a silicon, and I can't remember if there's a visual tell for it.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #571937

gum disease wrote:As someone who pretty much exclusively plays borg, removing ion weapons is daft.

The only EMP I despise is the cult one because it feels like bullshit to play against as a silicon, and I can't remember if there's a visual tell for it.
works the same as ling one
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #572290

I will not consider any balance changes from people who describe unbalanced mechanics as an "oof moment"
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #572296

All you would do to ions is make it so that the crew doesn't really have EMPs anymore meanwhile the nuke ops and admins would still have ion guns and shit UNLESS you wanted them removed from the code entirely. Good luck having that happen (seriously, admins would still have use for it) unless you indirectly cause a specific chain of events.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #572336

EMPs are massively destructive weapons with an incredibly niche application. You'd think that mutually exclusive, but it isn't. They're neat in that regard, causing damage in a way that is difficult to appreciate for someone not cluey as to how you're using them. They also do grant an appreciable advantage to ballistic weapons, since someone can't just take the bullets out of their gun, but someone with an ion can to your energy weapons.

For instance, you can't find the body of someone emp'd if their suit sensors were scrambled off. At minimum, they'll know if that person is dead or alive, but not where.

I don't think we should remove them just because of how they interact specifically with borgs. Any issues that arise from borgs are an issue with borgs only.

This is a bait through and through, since borgs are also currently in rocket tag limbo with nobody willing to give a good answer as to where borgs meant to fit into the game, so they just don't generally work and so they are a messy confluence of ideas and expectations. Much like mechs, actually.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #572714

i am going to shoot you in the headset
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #572720

No, removal of ions would almost necessitate a swift nerf to borgs. It's better that we have clear counters.

Also, until mechs get the Ol' Yeller treatment, ions are intentionally a counter to them. Yes, mechs can be "hard to stop" , but they still need proper counters. I actually intentionally buffed EMP against mechs with the ion rifle in mind.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #572721

nerf borgs and then people will talk
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #572829

The only EMP I dislike are the instant AOE ones, like the ones changeling and cult get, because you cant really play around them if you are weak to EMPs in any way or are using the roundstart energy weapons. One button and your guns are useless or you're stunned is not fun to fight against.

Ions at least give you a small window to dodge and also have the ability to miss, as the AOE on them is comparably smaller to the instant ones.

EMP stuns should be replaced with movement confusion, still debilitating but at least you can flail around.
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #572849

There's nothing funnier than watching some guy who spent 30 minutes lying on a table getting fully auged seething with rage when all his organs shut down after a sec officer with 2 hours in game shot him with an ion rifle because it was in the armoury and it looked cooler than his disabler
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: BrotherBeyond

Post by BrotherBeyond » #572908

Removing ions is fuckin retarded. I'm a silicon player and if Ions were gone I'd be bloody unstoppable. Minus flashes, laser pointers, the computer, flashbangs and that jazz.

The only emp I can see getting a cooldown added is ling emp since that can be spammed repeatedly whilst vent crawling and that shit.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #573354

Jimmius wrote:There's nothing funnier than watching some guy who spent 30 minutes lying on a table getting fully auged seething with rage when all his organs shut down after a sec officer with 2 hours in game shot him with an ion rifle because it was in the armoury and it looked cooler than his disabler
If anything we should have even more really situational but cool looking guns
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #574318

Ah shit, I did not notice OP is one behind "well-deserved" nerfs to nanites.

Ions are the way you ruin day of R&D powergamer.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
vkalls
Byond Username: Vincent Kallstrom

Post by vkalls » #574520

Why WOULD'NT there be ion weapons on a station with a ton of electronic threats. Ions aren't really even that good at stopping electronic threats other than borgs. In malf's current state it relies on overpowered tools with specific counters, why remove those counters?