Bring back Karma

A place to record your ideas for the game.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Bring back Karma

Post by soulgamer » #62926

it was fun
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Bring back Karma

Post by paprika » #62932

good thread.

Seriously, why? What applications should it have besides dick waving?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #62933

Upkarma.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #63054

paprika wrote:good thread.

Whats the harm in dick waving.

Karma 2015
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #63055

No
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #63057

NikNakFlak wrote:No
Psshh like you have any power to stop the return of glorious karma. Stop hating because you were in the negatives.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #63060

Finding the plug-in would be the most useful thing anyone could do to suggest bringing it back.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #63068

back to digg you go
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #63099

Didn't karma get removed 2 years ago?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #63110

Bombadil wrote:Didn't karma get removed 2 years ago?
Closer to three. I miss it so.
Cecily wrote:back to digg you go
Le digg ebin meme!
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #63116

No it was never on these forums, was on the last forums.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #63613

I've caught the empty-quote trend at its beginning. I'm almost a leader this time.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #63625

Cipher3 wrote:
I've caught the empty-quote trend at its beginning. I'm almost a leader this time.
I am sensing a whole lot of negativity in this thread. If we brought back karma it might help with that.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #63627

Cecily wrote:back to digg you go
Here's an upboat, good sir.
*tips fedora*
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #63686

peoplearestrange wrote:
Lol... new fags
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #63744

peoplearestrange wrote:
No i remember a karma option ingame. I thought that was about the ingame karma.

I remember you could right click someone and give them Karma
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #63747

Code: Select all

mob/verb/give_karma()
    var/mob/player_to_give = input("Who do you want to give karma to?", player_list) as text
    usr << "Karma given to [player_to_give]"
    return
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #63834

Miauw wrote:

mob/verb/give_karma()
    var/mob/player_to_give = input("Who do you want to give karma to?", player_list) as text
    return
One step closer
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #63837

karma serves no purpose aside from dick-waving and saying "i have the most meatfriends to give my posts +karma : ^)"

its a stupid fucking system and the forums function fine without it

edit: what the fuck smilies are actually active and people don't abuse the shit out of them?
Last edited by Scones on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #63845

soulgamer wrote:
Miauw wrote:

mob/verb/give_karma()
    return
One step closer
to the edge
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #63871

If this is an idea for the forums, this isn't the appropriate place for this idea. This is for in-game ideas.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #64040

Thank you for providing a well-reasoned original post that provided ample evidence for your reasoning and kept the topic focused so people wouldn't meander and go off topic. And then, when it did go off topic, you made sure to report the off topic posts and request they get deleted so people would know what your idea was. Oh wait, you didn't do any of that. You just started a shitty thread that nobody is taking seriously. That nobody should take seriously because karma was awful.

You never answered this question, by the way. The dick waving was really annoying. You need some sort of positive benefit to come out of this. Are you hoping karma will encourage people to provide feedback for each other? It does, but it's not really good feedback because you only have up-down and as digg has shown us many times, people tend to downvote stuff because they disagree, not because it was bad. People downvoted their killer all the time. That's not useful feedback in any way.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #64063

MisterPerson wrote:Thank you for providing a well-reasoned original post that provided ample evidence for your reasoning and kept the topic focused so people wouldn't meander and go off topic. And then, when it did go off topic, you made sure to report the off topic posts and request they get deleted so people would know what your idea was. Oh wait, you didn't do any of that. You just started a shitty thread that nobody is taking seriously. That nobody should take seriously because karma was awful.

You never answered this question, by the way. The dick waving was really annoying. You need some sort of positive benefit to come out of this. Are you hoping karma will encourage people to provide feedback for each other? It does, but it's not really good feedback because you only have up-down and as digg has shown us many times, people tend to downvote stuff because they disagree, not because it was bad. People downvoted their killer all the time. That's not useful feedback in any way.
It was a harmless mechanic that let you know round to round if you made enough of a difference to a person for them to take the time and give/take karma. Dont pay attention to karma in the long run because that isnt what matters. No it wasnt the best judge but most of the time if you ask "How did I do" you will get seven joke answers to one good one.

Three reasons why it should be brought back.
1. It is a tiny harmless feature for players to mess with.
2. It gives you a quick, if not overly accurate, assesment of how you are doing round to round
3. People enjoyed it.

The reason I didnt make this a serious request is that it was removed "Because it is useless!". Who gives a fuck if its useless when many people actually liked/cared about it but that didnt matter. It was pulled and no one stopped it.

Now please stop being pissy because I made you unlock my thread after you locked it without even reading it.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #64086

It was useless and buggy

Iirc antags were immune from neg rep
Sec wasn't, so neg rep became a badge of honor for sec officers to bare
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #64090

I never used the system personally, but to me it seems like an unnecessary game feature. All it will be is some for of circle jerk or backhanded way to spite someone that's screwed you over in game (Because even the most calm of people can get incredibly frustrated when then get dunked by a RNG disarm). I'm not sure it will truly reflect what kind of a player someone is at any rate.

And like Violaceus said, sec will get it even hard in the neck than they already do.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #64166

Karma also is stupidly problematic when you remember that you are basically punishing and rewarding behavior among other players. Being an antag or sec tends to reduce your karma when you are doing what you should. When we had it karma was such a joke people took pride in trying to make sure it was negative, as your absolute value was more important to determine how much people like you.