Cooking idea

A place to record your ideas for the game.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Cooking idea

Post by phil235 » #64526

So, I've been thinking about how to improve the current cooking system:

* Making the chef manipulate the food more:
- (from baystation12) Adding dough (egg+flour), flat dough (rollingpin), doughslice (knife on flat dough gives 3) , raw meat cutlet (knife on meat), cooked meat cutlet (microwaved raw cutlet; replacing meat in recipes), bread (microwaved dough), bun (microwaved doughslice) and Burger Bun (use two buns on each other. This gives more use to the rolling pin and knife.
- Making plates and bowls actually used in recipes and add them to the kitchen vending machine.

* Recipe are no longer made via microwave magic and will now fall into three categories:
- Microwave recipes: some basic ingredients (especially raw) are cooked in microwave in batches (tray can be used to load multiple things at once in the microwave) (dough, doughslice, raw cutlet, etc..)
Spoiler:
MICROWAVE RECIPES:
- cooked meat cutlet
- bun
- plain bread
- boiled egg
- popcorn
- Customizable foods: Some recipe become custom food built on a base, e.g. flat dough for pizza, you just click the base with the ingredient you want which update the food's appearance and description (similar to iamgoofball's custom burger in principle). Each time a new topping is added we check if the ingredients match an actual recipe, if there's an exact match the food changes sprite and gets a bonus (e.g. added vitamin).
Spoiler:
CUSTOMIZABLE FOOD:
- BURGERs: with burger bun (possible exceptions for superbite and jelly burger)
- BREADS: with plain bread (microwaved dough) ( milk requirement for banana bread removed, or make bread a reagent container?)
- PIZZAS: with flatdough
- SPAGHETTIS: with spaghettiplate (previously name boiled spaghetti, spaghettiplate is tablecrafted)(dry spaghetti is processed doughslice)
- SOUPS: with waterbowl(old wishsoup,it is tablecrafted with emptybowl+10water)
- SALADS: with emptybowl
- PIES: with plain pie (new recipe that is tablecrafted)
- CAKES: with plain cake ( it is tablecrafted)
- Tablecrafted recipes: You put all the ingredients (solid stuff and condiment bottles for liquid reagents) you want onto a table (yet more use for trays) and click+drag the table onto you to see all the possible recipes with these ingredients. This makes cooking things with few ingredients faster than microwave magic (e.g. crackers, muffins), you just click the tablecrafting window multiple times.
Spoiler:
TABLECRAFTED RECIPES(most of these recipes now also requires an empty plate):
Basically all the other recipes. The flour requirements are replaced by doughslices, dough or buns depending on the recipe, and cooked meat cutlets replaces meat most times.

The advantages of this system:
- Cooking no longer requires you to have the wiki open all the time, if you don't know the recipes you can unload all the items you have on a table and see what you can make, or start making your own custom food (the kitchen cook book will contain the few microwave recipes and the base items needed for each type of customizable foods, e.g. burger bun for burger, bowl for salad)
- Customizable foods make the cook job more creative, it adds variety without cluttering the kitchen with snowflake machines.
- It gives a use to the rolling pin, empty plates and bowls, and more use to the tray and knife.
- It makes cooking a bit more realistic.
- This gives more visibility to tablecrafting.

The disadvantages:
- Having lots of items on one table makes clicking and dragging more difficult and will increases the amount of misclicks (adding reagents to food instead of placing the condiment bottle on the table because you misclicked)
- microwave is a bit underused.
- We lose the ability to make custom-named human burgers.
- Some realism inconsistency (pizzas, pies and cakes are never cooked, crackers use uncooked doughslice)

What do you think?
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Cooking idea

Post by Vekter » #64562

Eh. I like the idea of making cooking more in-depth, but I kinda enjoy Cook being a super-simple job that you can either laze about and just cook burgers/sammiches or go HAM and get the good shit out if you're bored.

I think we had something similar to the customizable food on NT, and it just resulted in sandwiches stretching from engineering to the bar, or literal EVERYTHING deep-fried Cereal. I love the concept though.

Idk, mite b cool? I'd be up for it if we did some testing.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #64599

iamgoofball had a PR up for this like a year ago naturally he never finished it

i'm all for this.
also we could add ready-meals from cargo, that way the microwaves don't get extremely ignored.
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #65503

I'm in for making cooking more complex, while leaving some key recipes as simple as possible for those who just want to laze around and learn the ropes.
I really like your idea about tablecraft, and about realism, we can add other machines covering different purposed (though for all coding purposes, just reskinned microwaves with different recipes)

The uses as I'd saw them

-Microwave: Just one, and relegated to minor and simple stuff, like soylents, or burguers. Consider it the tool for the lazy route, you can feed everyone this way with little effort.
-Oven: Cakes, breads, pizzas. You prepare the dough or parts in the tablecraft, then you put it in the oven with a couple of extras.
-Space vitroceramic: soups, boiling eggs, frying a steak, heating water for tator fun, you name it.
This idea WILL make more complex cooking, but on the other hand it will be much more enjoyable in the long run.

I also would suggest a few additional points for quality of life in the kitchen.

Remember one of our latests updates? The one about getting maint access if population is low? It'd be nice having the possibility of having access to botanics if no botanic was in the station. In many rounds the kitchen dries up fast because no botanic works in there at all, so that would help up, even if just a little.
Also, space is tight, but making it easier to access botanics (like a door or something connecting both) would help too.