Station Self-Destruct Mechanism

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Station Self-Destruct Mechanism

Post by Vekter » #64527

So I've always found it odd that SS13's "self-destruct mechanism" consists of an easy to transport (and steal) nuclear device. I get that Nanotrasen is supposed to be inept, but that seems a bit much, even for them.

I had the thought last night of an actual self-destruct mechanism, maybe a built-in nuclear warhead somewhere on the station that is, by default, disabled. It would require Centcom approval (read: admins) and some form of doomsday switch to activate, and could still be turned off if given enough time.

This would mainly only be used for Blob, and would remove the need to keep the nuke at all (though I'm sure we can keep it around if folks want it, seems like it's become kind of a stable of the station). The basic concept would be a console somewhere in the station, likely in a very secure area that can't be tampered with by silicons (the idea being that the AI would constantly be trying to prevent the station from triggering it because >harm), and the device itself would be "buried in the bowels of the station" (read: nonexistant, the panel would just call whatever proc the bomb does to end the round).

I like this idea because it fits in more with the sci-fi theme of the game, and it makes more sense than just having some random nuclear device in the vault be the self-destruct. The bomb could only be activated with head and Centcom approval. I'm thinking 2 keys (HoS and Captain would spawn with them, or possibly be given them after a 10-7 Quarantine Procedure notice on Blob) and a code from an admin to activate the system.

This also makes the Malf AI blowing the station up make more sense. Never understood how the AI nukes the station without any way to actually access the nuke.

Pros:
* Makes more sense than a nuke on wheels
* Fits the sci-fi theme
* Hard to activate (gotta keep the HoS and Captain alive, no just using one guy with both keys)
* Can't be eaten by the Blob

Cons:
* Requires 2 players to activate and be alive (This could be ANY players, or we could find a way to dna lock the keys so ONLY the captain and HoS can activate it, I think that makes more sense)
* Easily sabotaged (Kill the captain, no nuke option)
* Would require admin policy (We're already working on one for nuking during blob anyway, so I don't know if we'd have a different thing here or not.)
* Requires admin intervention (Blob nukes do now anyway, this could be coded in if someone was feeling froggy)
* Blob can easily hard-counter it (This was brought up in the nuke policy thread; we were thinking even if the blob DOES blow up the console, the admins can send a Deathsquad with nuke to do it themselves. I'd prefer destroying the console while primed force setting off the explosive but that might be a bit unfair to blob players.)

Thoughts? Ideas? Let's hammer this out.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Re: Station Self-Destruct Mechanism

Post by phil235 » #64529

You could simply make the current station nuke in the vault into a special unmovable nuke with a built-in console.

Also, are you saying people could technically trigger it without first asking the admins? That would be bad.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #64535

I don't like the idea of the nuke being anything like this. You don't see a giant nuclear warhead just sitting around aboard Deep Space Nine, do you?

The idea is that it still has the BIG RED BUTTON effect while making sense. And no, people can't trigger it without asking admins. That'd be suicide. (The code would probably be undefined like it is now)
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Deantwo
Byond Username: Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64645

I do like the idea.
And I actually thought the nuke in the vault was just for show.

Anyway, in most sci-fi shows/stories the Station Self-Destruct Mechanism is just to overload/overheat the station's power core. But since SS13 doesn't really have an internal power core (we have the external singularly engine) a build in nuclear device does make more sense.

As for activing it, why not use the Nuclear Authentication Disk too?
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #64663

The way I see it, the nuke is already just a mis-sprited computer console, like any other...

I think the easiest way to bring all of this in line, without putting a lot of effort into fluff, would be to have it start anchored.
I would also suggest it be resprited so that it doesn't just look like a bomb, but then chances are it wouldn't fit in with the other retro styled aspects of the game.
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64666

Fayrik wrote:The way I see it, the nuke is already just a mis-sprited computer console, like any other...

I think the easiest way to bring all of this in line, without putting a lot of effort into fluff, would be to have it start anchored.
I would also suggest it be resprited so that it doesn't just look like a bomb, but then chances are it wouldn't fit in with the other retro styled aspects of the game.
Good point, it could be something like a laptop or computer with the kill switch.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #64670

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2n8u6oo.jpg

Thoughts and opinions? This is literally an anchored child of the nuclear bomb (Slightly old pic, now looks better)

The idea is that the captain can request the code from the admins from the comms console (code red only, maybe it will be used now), and then you get an announcement which says that the code has been ordered by [name].
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64676

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The idea is that the captain can request the code from the admins from the comms console (code red only, maybe it will be used now), and then you get an announcement which says that the code has been ordered by [name].
As long as the clown can't bruteforce the code.
Please for dare god let the code be null/nonexistent until an admin approve it.

Also use the "linkoff" span class for disabled links if your redoing the UI.
And remember that a user can in theory bypass the interface and press buttons that aren't visible.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #64678

The code, as with all nuclear devices, is ADMIN until varedited.

Good luck entering that on a number pad.

There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64682

Set the code to 000000, as yet another reference.

Also, autoban the last person to touch the nuke when the countdown is triggered.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #64689

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The code, as with all nuclear devices, is ADMIN until varedited.
Good luck entering that on a number pad.
Yeah the thing is, even if you managed to input ADMIN into the code variable (Via Exploit shenanigans) the bomb is hard coded to never accept non numerical passwords anyway (and will actually inform admins!)
Last edited by Remie Richards on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #64690

what is the point
what is the point ESPECIALLY if it just bans people
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64691

danno wrote:what is the point
what is the point ESPECIALLY if it just bans people
Why would it get people banned if it require an admin to allow it?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #64693

It was partly a response to Demonfiren
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64694

danno wrote:It was partly a response to Demonfiren
Ooh I missed his post edit.
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64705

Violaceus wrote:I would rather want to have nuke warhead instead of this... nuke egg?
I was thinking that the computer had a helmet on. Which also make no sense.
Make it look more like a laptop briefcase on a rolling table?
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #64833

But the whole point of this is that you don't move the damn thing - it's built-in. Why would a laptop on a roller-table be immovable?
Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #64862

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:But the whole point of this is that you don't move the damn thing - it's built-in. Why would a laptop on a roller-table be immovable?
If it is going to be immovable, it should be moved to the bridge.
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #65013

Deantwo wrote:If it is going to be immovable, it should be moved to the bridge.
Violaceus wrote:No, it should stay in the vault. It is supposed to be the most safe place on station holding most dangerous things.
Fayrik wrote:I think the easiest way to bring all of this in line, without putting a lot of effort into fluff, would be to have it start anchored.
Spawning in the vault is definitely a good thing, but if there's a nuke-worthy situation, chances are you're going to be holed up in the bridge, with no way of getting to the vault.
This is why I think it should start anchored, but be movable by the person with the disk.
That way, the self destruct console can be moved by:
A forwards thinking captain, who knows shit is going to go down.
A dedicated traitor who wants to take the station hostage (albeit for effect only).
And not by:
An assistant with nothing better to do.
Deantwo wrote:Good point, it could be something like a laptop or computer with the kill switch.
That's the jist of what I was thinking. Although, specifically I had imagined a more modern looking nuclear device.
Something sleek and silvery, that has the console built into it... Or more like the device is in the console.
I really wish I could somehow show what I'm imagining it to look like, but 'eh, I'm no spriter.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #65072

Or we could just use the nuke we have now that does exactly the same thing as people are starting to suggest.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #65338

callanrockslol wrote:Or we could just use the nuke we have now that does exactly the same thing as people are starting to suggest.
Alternatively, I want to suggest that the current nuke be a thing that you have to plug into some bullshit to blow up the station, I guess.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #65539

The thing about blob is the nuke code should just be automatically given at 50 minutes in and detonation takes like 10 minutes in order to allow blob a chance at victory
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #66353

Balut wrote:Alternatively, I want to suggest that the current nuke be a thing that you have to plug into some bullshit to blow up the station, I guess.
I like this suggestion. If it only goes off on the bridge or somewhere like that, then it gives it a reason to be locked in place at round start, as well.