Add (new) prosthetics in the character setup

A place to record your ideas for the game.
merchant1337
Byond Username: Merchant1337

Add (new) prosthetics in the character setup

Post by merchant1337 » #580075

The current surplus prosthetics found in the medbay freezer (or if you have the prosthetic quirk enabled) look very outdated and boring. The year is 2550. People live on the most dangerous space station ever, filled with aliens, cultists, bombs, and terrorists and all they get is some dull, worn-out prosthetics? It's also quite sad that the current prosthetics are hidden behind a quirk, where you can't even choose what limb you want to be augmented.

So what I'm basically saying is that I'd love to see the current prosthetics being replaced with new ones, and then add them in the character setup instead of being hidden behind quirks.
I made a few prosthetics to hopefully speed up the process if any coders want to jump on this idea. I'd do it myself but seeing as I'm dumb as hell and can't figure out how to work Github or Dream Maker, I'll leave that to the pros.

Prosthetics (1).png
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Re: Add (new) prosthetics in the character setup

Post by thehogshotgun » #580078

Yeeeeees more snowflakey bull yeeeeees
merchant1337

Post by merchant1337 » #580083

thehogshotgun wrote:Yeeeeees more snowflakey bull yeeeeees
Scared?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #580086

while we're at it we should beat cyberpunk 2077 to the punch and be the first video game to prominently add robot wangs as a core gameplay feature in the character creator
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
merchant1337

Post by merchant1337 » #580117

All I'm suggesting is some new prosthetic limbs and move them to the character setup. Not a damn robot arm with a built-in flamethrower or a missile launcher.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #580121

Round start prosthetics are supposed to be jank, i'm personally fine with nice prosthetic skins being add-onable with like a screwdriver or something tho;
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #580125

Just lemme turn up augged to shit, that's all I ask. I don't care what nerfs you need to apply to those limbs, whatever, just do it.

Although honestly, given the limitation on tools as of late thanks to economy + no public autolathes, it's actually no longer true that augmented people are more easy to heal. Treat wounds doesn't work, medical doctors don't possess those tools easily and medical supplies don't work. While roboticists can easily equip a freshly augmented player, someone turning up to the station without tools is potentially somewhat stuck. It also prevents you abusing a few powerful tools like ling fleshmend and Quadsec, although any ling robotic limbs should totally be fake. The only upside therefore is the damage reduction, and that's easy enough to take out given surplus limbs already lack this.

Given we now have the tend wounds sugery, and augments can be self surgeried for organ manipulation, you might as well turn augment healing into a form of self surgery tend wounds that expends cable stacks and and welder fuel, just so that you can't do it in the middle of a combat easily. And, additionally, require more than two items to perform. (so things like screwdriver, crowbar, wrench and multitool, to really make it difficult for someone who wouldn't already be easily equipped to go raid medical if necessary, and make them dependent on robotics to fix those limbs otherwise)
merchant1337

Post by merchant1337 » #580129

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Round start prosthetics are supposed to be jank, i'm personally fine with nice prosthetic skins being add-onable with like a screwdriver or something tho;
Sounds very unnecessary, and prosthetic users won't probably bother with doing that every round. And I don't get why the round start prosthetics can't look like actual decent prosthetics at least?
No shoulders. Looks like a lego figure.
No shoulders. Looks like a lego figure.
unknown (1).png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
merchant1337

Post by merchant1337 » #580130

NecromancerAnne wrote:Just lemme turn up augged to shit, that's all I ask. I don't care what nerfs you need to apply to those limbs, whatever, just do it.

Although honestly, given the limitation on tools as of late thanks to economy + no public autolathes, it's actually no longer true that augmented people are more easy to heal. Treat wounds doesn't work, medical doctors don't possess those tools easily and medical supplies don't work. While roboticists can easily equip a freshly augmented player, someone turning up to the station without tools is potentially somewhat stuck. It also prevents you abusing a few powerful tools like ling fleshmend and Quadsec, although any ling robotic limbs should totally be fake. The only upside therefore is the damage reduction, and that's easy enough to take out given surplus limbs already lack this.

Given we now have the tend wounds sugery, and augments can be self surgeried for organ manipulation, you might as well turn augment healing into a form of self surgery tend wounds that expends cable stacks and and welder fuel, just so that you can't do it in the middle of a combat easily. And, additionally, require more than two items to perform. (so things like screwdriver, crowbar, wrench and multitool, to really make it difficult for someone who wouldn't already be easily equipped to go raid medical if necessary, and make them dependent on robotics to fix those limbs otherwise)
I agree with pretty much all of this. Especially turning augmentation repairs into a self-surgery thing would be cool.
Though right now I wouldn't even care about new features or stats to the limbs. Just a few new prosthetics and a prosthetic feature in the character setup would do for now!
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #580132

this isnt barbie dressup forum
merchant1337

Post by merchant1337 » #580135

dont worry tlal, the prosthetics are probably not gonna have some undocumented balance changes
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #580144

There is maybe one major detriment to giving roundstart prosthetics as character gen elements and it's making it so that there are core mechanical differences between various players outside of quirks and species choices.

Prosthetics impact emp vulnerabilities, healing, surgery capability, and many more.

This is a lot of tick boxes for players to somehow figure out for someone and the abundance of emp vulnerable players makes emps all the more potent but also more prone to friendly fire. Quirks like surplus prosthetics are negative for a reason and you already are buying into it as a downside. This is arguably suggesting the prosthetics be neutral, and that means it would be worth rethinking stuff like aoe emp availability.

Not like that's a negative, aoe emps are already fucking disgusting. But a change like this makes their potency all the stronger. And we shouldn't have antags like lings and team antags like cult be so deterministic on loadout choices. Especially lings, who carry prosthetics across identity swaps and can't replicate them, will get caught easily if enough players have prosthetics they can't replicate. Although this might be easily fixed by just making lings create fake prosthetics.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #580211

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:this isnt barbie dressup forum
yeah it is
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact