Remotely Controlled Air Alarms for Atmos Techs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Remotely Controlled Air Alarms for Atmos Techs

Post by mikecari » #64904

Being an atmos tech is probably one of the shittiest experiences you'll ever have besides being a lawyer. If the AI refuses to listen to you, you have to go around turning on the air alarm filters literally everywhere, including places you cant access normally. To remedy this problem I propose a computer console next to atmos alarms that remotely controls air alarms and allows the atmos tech to filter and refill key areas suspectible to damage. They have this feature on baystation and I never saw a problem with it so just steal it from there if the coders are feeling lazy. Really, being an atmos tech at the moment is really not worth it and you get screamed at when you arrive at an area too late and/or don't set up all the filters. More people would want to play atmos tech if you made it less of a hassle with remotely controlled air alarms.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Remotely Controlled Air Alarms for Atmos Techs

Post by Screemonster » #64910

Would be super-fun for tators to gain access to it and set random rooms to be massively overpressure or siphon without the alarm tripping. Or rooms with a target in.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #64911

Screemonster wrote:Would be super-fun for tators to gain access to it and set random rooms to be massively overpressure or siphon without the alarm tripping. Or rooms with a target in.
>implying traitor AIs can't already do this
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #64912

Atmos techs need more shit to do in general, so this would be great
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64918

Do it already.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #64925

This will make plasma flooding the whole station super easy, FYI.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #64934

mikecari wrote:Being an atmos tech is probably one of the shittiest experiences you'll ever have besides being a lawyer. If the AI refuses to listen to you, you have to go around turning on the air alarm filters literally everywhere, including places you cant access normally. To remedy this problem I propose a computer console next to atmos alarms that remotely controls air alarms and allows the atmos tech to filter and refill key areas suspectible to damage. They have this feature on baystation and I never saw a problem with it so just steal it from there if the coders are feeling lazy. Really, being an atmos tech at the moment is really not worth it and you get screamed at when you arrive at an area too late and/or don't set up all the filters. More people would want to play atmos tech if you made it less of a hassle with remotely controlled air alarms.
As a AI this is one of the worst things to do. Not even worth your time really.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #65071

You should have to set it up manually, like radio syphoning.

Makes people mad don't do it.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #65082

I really like the atmos tech experience, my only complain is that removing toxins, repressurizing rooms and warming them up is way too fucking slow. It takes the whole round to purge the 10% plasma someone flooded into the distro and is now appearing all over the station.

But yeah, remote air alarms would be awesome.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #65185

i agree, venting does take too long.

as to the OP: yeah, mite b kewl. just make it like tcomms and have a password like the control panel, so the AI can't access it unless it's been left logged in / you've been told the password.

usable without superbuffing antag AIs, ezpz.

on the subject of venting

make panic syphon faster please. it should be as fast as explosive decompression, so like 10-15s, and it should blow everything out of the room.

also there should probably be a new level of volumetric pump that allows you to drain loops reasonably fast because as is any atmos problem in the pipes is basically a shuttle call, they're impossible to fix without it taking two hours.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #65189

"Explosive Decompression"

Hah. In tgstation13, the atmosphere is made out of thick soup, and moves like treacle.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65198

Just add ZA...no, please don't.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #65919

GLORY TO ATMOSIA, BROTHERS AND SISTERS.
ATMOSIA WILL RISE AGAIN.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #66140

would it cause lag to make atmos faster for lack of a better term

is that impossible

i think it mite b kewl
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #66183

mikecari wrote:GLORY TO ATMOSIA, BROTHERS AND SISTERS.
ATMOSIA WILL RISE AGAIN.
On a more serious note, no one likes to really play atmos tech anymore because his weapons against depressurization and toxins are so damn ineffective. We need the robust atmos tech the station deserves, one who can purge the air of toxic, fire-starting plasma, sleep-inducing no2, and the silent but deadly carbon dioxide.

Portable scrubbers take waay too damn long to filter the toxins out of the air and it is almost impossible to get one to areas out of your access range. Portable pumps, likewise, take way too long to pump air into areas that have been rebuilt and it just makes atmosia way too frustrating for most players to want to try it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #66187

mikecari wrote:On a more serious note, no one likes to really play atmos tech anymore because his weapons against depressurization and toxins are so damn ineffective.
BRING BACK ZAS 2015
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #66199

What is ZAS?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #66214

Zoned Atmospheric System, AKA Baymos, AKA Angry Wind Gods.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #66222

If the AI refuses to listen to you, you have to go around turning on the air alarm filters literally everywhere, including places you cant access normally.
Whenever I get an order as AI to "SET ALL THE SCRUBBERS TO FILTER TOXINS", I facepalm a little. For one, I hate meatbags ordering me to do THEIR job for them. And secondly, preemptively setting all filters only ever pays off when atmosia fucks up hard and the entire station gets flooded with FUN... at this point you have failed as an oh so eager atmosian.
If there's an atmospherical hazard in an area, you should go there anyway to inspect damage, secure/seal the area, etc. While you're there, you can adjust the scrubbers too. That's the most fun part of being an atmos tech - running around the station, fixing shit... not sitting in your office with a remote air alarm computer to your left and a security cam monitor to your right, pushing buttons.
If you fail to gain entry to the hazardous zone, it's the fault of the AI/your hacking or people skills.
Atmos techs need more shit to do in general, so this would be great
Not having to leave atmospherics to do your job results in 'more shit to do'?
This will make plasma flooding the whole station super easy, FYI.
Hardest part about being a potato atmos tech is gaining entrance to all the parts of the station you want to hit with your gases. You could hit security with a plasma flood like 2 minutes into the round with remote control.

This remote control would be great to satisfy your OCD though... by allowing you to adjust minor atmos problems with a few button presses so that the alerts vanish from the list.

=====Not related to the topic, really======
It takes the whole round to purge the 10% plasma someone flooded into the distro and is now appearing all over the station.
That's the atmos tech's fault then. Do not fill distro with too much air. Don't do it. 300-500 kpa is a healthy amount of pressure to have in distro. 9000 kpa is NOT. Volumetric pump on 'Air to Distro' is scrublord-level atmos unless the station has been turned into swiss cheese by meteors.
The distro loop is huge, thus it can hold a lot of gas. If you lazily pump it full of air and later on some guy introduces plasma into it, don't complain that you need ages to get all the gas back out again.
Or, you know, get crafty. There's so many more ways to unfuck pipes than simply pumping it out.
Portable scrubbers take waay too damn long to filter the toxins out of the air
Yup, agreed. That said, scubbers taking so long leaves a time window for THAT GUY to throw THAT LIT LIGHTER into the plasma, for added fun.
Rounds as atmos techs are only boring if you do your job as an atmos tech so well that nothing terrible can ever happen.
Portable pumps, likewise, take way too long to pump air into areas.
You know... you can adjust their pressure check. This way a pump filled with 9000 kpa of stuff can empty out in ~ 5 seconds.

Atmos has very robust tools at its disposal. A good atmos tech can turn a room gone inferno into a cozy lounge complete with black jack and hookers in a few minutes. Biggest problems with atmospherics as it is now are:
- easily panicked crew: PLASMA IN ESCAPE CALL EL SHUTTLE OLE
- wiki-taught atmos techs: not using their own brains to get better at their jobs. Becoming robust at atmos takes a long time, there's so many little things no wiki can teach you. Learn the basics from the wiki, then forget all of it again and figure things out yourself.
- there's rarely anything to do: same as engineering, your job requires somebody else to fuck up/sabotage
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #66227

I'm starting to like this ActionB guy.

Also i'm probably the only atmos tech to go around and -improve- parts of the station.

Seriously you got an RPD now, go put down a connector port feeding straight into waste for toxins so they can scrub their shit. Back before goonchem i'd do this for Chemistry too because some chucklefuck would always spill the plasma beaker. You also discover EXTREMELY AWESOME things to do as a tator, like ways to flood the brig and only the brig (it being a closed air system and all) and how to fuck with that NEET in virology by purging their line and setting up a CO2 can to trickle in.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #68128

Plasma fires OP ;(