Remote Controlled Monkies.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
iloveusername
Byond Username: Iloveusername

Remote Controlled Monkies.

Post by iloveusername » #581430

You know those Monkey Smartifier Helmets or whatever they happen to be called? What if there were a remote control varient of that, where one would go on a human and the other on a monkey, and it allows the human to basically be the monkey while his body stays intact. Maybe it could be a traitor item because of its awesome suicide bombing use.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Remote Controlled Monkies.

Post by RaveRadbury » #581436

This is similar to being a slimeperson but with ventcrawl and monki
iloveusername
Byond Username: Iloveusername

Post by iloveusername » #581442

RaveRadbury wrote:This is similar to being a slimeperson but with ventcrawl and monki
I thought monkies wearing things can't vent crawl?
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #581449

This would make canbombing viable and canbombing should really not be viable
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #581450

There are technical limitations I think. VR had a similar system and it was amazing but it also caused crashed due to weird clientswapping shit
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #581453

I like the idea of remote controlled mobs like drones. They'd be useful for doing jobs in areas the person controlling them doesn't have access to, e.g. cleaning the brig.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #581467

Stickymayhem wrote:There are technical limitations I think. VR had a similar system and it was amazing but it also caused crashed due to weird clientswapping shit
We have security cameras, AI, slimepeople, and the aux base drone. Pretty sure we've got the technical aspect fairly down.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #581468

RaveRadbury wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:There are technical limitations I think. VR had a similar system and it was amazing but it also caused crashed due to weird clientswapping shit
We have security cameras, AI, slimepeople, and the aux base drone. Pretty sure we've got the technical aspect fairly down.
Why was VR removed then
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #581469

Stickymayhem wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:
Why was VR removed then
Because it was essentially running an entire *other* station which caused a lot of resource usage, and we were having difficulty with reality and VR bleeding into each other with things like briefcases full of cash and crab-bots (both of which had effects on the station proper).

Removes VR #43832
This removes VR. A better way to realize a separate VR dimension that cannot interact with the station is to run it as a separate server. That way the non-VR side of the server does not pay the performance cost of VR existing and people won't have their rounds ruined by shit interacting across the VR veil.
Putting it on its own server would have been a correct way to do what VR wants to do, and the only way to have a VR without side-effects into the current round.

Having VR as-is in the codebase means every feature must be reviewed and tested for VR bugs, and coded with checks for "but what if this shit happens in VR" in place. Otherwise the new feature will introduce new potentially gameruining bugs, and this will happen forever and be the new normal.

This PR doesn't move VR into its own server for the very simple reason that I don't run tg, but also for the other reason that I don't believe in exclusive singleplayer content like this in what is a social multiplayer game.
There is mention of client swapping issues.
Also fixes an unreported issues with mindswaps into/out from VR and mind transfers such as your VR mob getting monkey'd killing you through VR.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #581470

Stickymayhem wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:
Why was VR removed then
Runtimes
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: