Rework Ratmen (Regal Rats) Like Normal People

A place to record your ideas for the game.
ip0wnn00bs
Byond Username: Ophaq

Rework Ratmen (Regal Rats) Like Normal People

Post by ip0wnn00bs » #588684

- Give ratmen (regal rats) the ability to act like a normal human such as crafting basic things, interacting with machine interfaces, wielding things in hands, a backpack, mask, belt, and hat slot.
- Add in an event that lets a dead player spawn in as a sentient ratman. The player can create their own goals such as rebuilding the maintenance shaft's bar, befriending crew, gathering cheese, creating more sentient ratmen, etc.
It will be kind of like fugitives but being a ratman. Kind of gimmicky but might be a lot of fun seeing as how ratmen are pretty basic at the moment.
Last edited by ip0wnn00bs on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Re: Rework Ratmen Like Normal People

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #588704

Ratmen?
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #588719

do you mean regal rats?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #588722

I hate them enough already
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

ip0wnn00bs

Post by ip0wnn00bs » #588837

Time-Green wrote:do you mean regal rats?
Yes
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Rework Ratmen (Regal Rats) Like Normal People

Post by RaveRadbury » #588839

If you want to be a maint rat just sign up for assistant, be a lizard if it helps. You're kinda swinging for a new species here, and that's a tall order on this codebase.
ip0wnn00bs

Post by ip0wnn00bs » #589139

RaveRadbury wrote:If you want to be a maint rat just sign up for assistant, be a lizard if it helps. You're kinda swinging for a new species here, and that's a tall order on this codebase.
To my knowledge, admins can give a sentient (player) ratman hands to be able to interact with some stuff to a degree. How difficult would it be to say, copy one of the current species, tweak some basic settings like their diet and ability to see in the dark, and then replace its sprite with the regal rat sprite? And also disabling their ability to wear anything but maybe a backpack without the backpack having an overlay on the sprite.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #589143

ip0wnn00bs wrote: To my knowledge, admins can give a sentient (player) ratman hands to be able to interact with some stuff to a degree. How difficult would it be to say, copy one of the current species, tweak some basic settings like their diet and ability to see in the dark, and then replace its sprite with the regal rat sprite? And also disabling their ability to wear anything but maybe a backpack without the backpack having an overlay on the sprite.
When I said "You're kinda swinging for a new species here, and that's a tall order on this codebase." I didn't mean "That's hard to code." I meant "Any new species or changes to species have to have maintainer approval first, largely because the amount of drama that they cause."
ip0wnn00bs

Post by ip0wnn00bs » #589222

RaveRadbury wrote:
ip0wnn00bs wrote: To my knowledge, admins can give a sentient (player) ratman hands to be able to interact with some stuff to a degree. How difficult would it be to say, copy one of the current species, tweak some basic settings like their diet and ability to see in the dark, and then replace its sprite with the regal rat sprite? And also disabling their ability to wear anything but maybe a backpack without the backpack having an overlay on the sprite.
When I said "You're kinda swinging for a new species here, and that's a tall order on this codebase." I didn't mean "That's hard to code." I meant "Any new species or changes to species have to have maintainer approval first, largely because the amount of drama that they cause."
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #589228

Might I suggest flyperson as a decent maint horror? You could get access to the teleporter pretty easily as a human assistant, and from there you can be a weird abomination with all of the things you're looking for.
ip0wnn00bs

Post by ip0wnn00bs » #589229

RaveRadbury wrote:Might I suggest flyperson as a decent maint horror? You could get access to the teleporter pretty easily as a human assistant, and from there you can be a weird abomination with all of the things you're looking for.
I just like the idea of being a ratman whose goal is to either flood main with rats while still having some functionality like a human would. Fly person is kinda a cool idea too though.