End of Round Commendations

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

End of Round Commendations

Post by Saege Tilth » #597021

Instead of just having a single commendation for a single thing such as the player you love the most (in secret), why not add one for most rude player and least important player. This would give players extra stickers for being rude and seen as unimportant. When they speak in ooc, which ever commendation they have the most of will appear. If they seemed to be the least important player, then they will merely get an :whiskey: instead of a :heart: . If they're the most rude, they will get a :neigh: . The details aren't the idea, but are just examples of the idea. Opinions? :shades:

EDIT
TheFinalPotato wrote:You have failed to explain why this would be a good addition
It's the same concept as being a likable player with a heart next to your name. It gives feedback to the player themselves as to how others currently see them and gives them a chance to choose rather or not they want to behave in a different manner before it snowballs into outright being removed from the server for being shitty to others in the long run. It also gives admins a way to tell how the community sees a certain individual in the game, which dictates most of how admins make their decisions anyway in this kangaroo court we call society.
Last edited by Saege Tilth on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Re: End of Round Commendations

Post by ATHATH » #597023

That sounds horrible. Imagine how self-esteem-crushing it'd be to be told by the game that you were the least important/most rude/worst player in a round.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #597024

You have failed to explain why this would be a good addition
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #597038

it's also kind of dumb because good or bad, it's still recognition. Some shitters like to be known as shitters and this will only help fuel their self-indulgence. Also you can't expect it to be used 100% in good faith when it's a negative commendation.

Not a good idea.

Saege Tilth

Post by Saege Tilth » #597039

Agux909 wrote:it's also kind of dumb because good or bad, it's still recognition. Some shitters like to be known as shitters and this will only help fuel their self-indulgence. Also you can't expect it to be used 100% in good faith when it's a negative commendation.

Not a good idea.
If you where the imperative type that learns things on their own and doesn't have to get taught by others, you would love the idea. I can tell you aren't an atmospherics main who has made something beyond water and tritium with their own setup. Using this method, you can approximate feedback to activities that are logged.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #597042

Saege Tilth wrote:
Agux909 wrote:it's also kind of dumb because good or bad, it's still recognition. Some shitters like to be known as shitters and this will only help fuel their self-indulgence. Also you can't expect it to be used 100% in good faith when it's a negative commendation.

Not a good idea.
If you where the imperative type that learns things on their own and doesn't have to get taught by others, you would love the idea. I can tell you aren't an atmospherics main who has made something beyond water and tritium with their own setup. Using this method, you can approximate feedback to activities that are logged.
Yes, I am a casual and usually don't even learn that much, playing the game with some of the most basic stuff there is to know. That works for me and I have fun this way. With time maybe I get interested in a certain aspect of the game and only then I start digging to see what's it about, but I don't prioritize being a tryhard knowitall, and I don't mind asking others for help. I probably made tritium once then I forgot how to make it, I'm cool with that. Also, atmos is boring.

But what does this have to do with anything?

The heart system is supposed to be a good faith system. Commending someone special for you that made the round more interesting, fought alongside you, helped you when noone else did, or was just very friendly.

It's inherently a wholehearted thing to have in the game, because if one or more players remember your name enough to write it in the time given (or scroll fast enough to find it), it means you most definitely impacted the round positively and get a nice little distinction to show you did.

The opposite is, by principle, toxic, grudgy, and in bad faith. Maybe you are a shitter and can't stand people doing things the way they're supposed to, which clashes with the way you do stuff, or maybe you can't stand the clown, so you negatively commend them. Maybe you get the distinction because you were shitty, which promotes OOC grudging.

See? There is more subjective excuses to say you didn't like someone than the opposite, which is what makes your idea shitty, as I said, by principle. We shouldn't promote this kind of negativity snowball. It's not a good idea.

If you usually don't do anything interesting or are a piece of shit to others, the downside is that you'll probably never have a <3 while others consistently get one.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #597044

It's the same concept as being a likable player with a heart next to your name.
no it isn't. cute hearts are a reward for not being a drain on the game. this is a reward for being a shithead. you can be a jerk character or whatever and still get cute hearts if you were interesting about it and made the round more enjoyable to people ooc for it
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #597049

What a terrible idea, why would we provide a feature which allows people to publicly designate those they dislike?
Last edited by wesoda25 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[this space reserved]
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #597055

Really bad idea. It can be easily exploited by people holding grudges by giving negative feedback to specific individuals round after round.

What next? Low priority pool - send people who's behaviour score gets too low to a containment server to grind extended until their score gets better? :lol:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #597056

People should be letting go of bad events from last round, simple as
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #597060

Armhulen wrote:People should be letting go of bad events from last round, simple as
This, every round is a new one. Lets highlight the best of the one we just played move on to enjoy the next as quickly as possible (and leave the salt and the problems in the past)!
Hugs
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #597073

There'll be that guy who seeks these awards out actively
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #597101

PKPenguin321 wrote:There'll be that guy who seeks these awards out actively
just one? lmao
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Saege Tilth

Post by Saege Tilth » #597192

Sounds like all of you are just afraid that you might receive negative criticism. Ironic isn't it?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #597195

Saege Tilth wrote:Sounds like all of you are just afraid that you might receive negative criticism. Ironic isn't it?
the problem shows up when you realize some people might not be afraid of receiving negative criticism, and will instead hunt it out.
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #597199

>sees a feature that encourages positivity
>suggests a feature that encourages toxicity
>accuses others of being afraid of criticism

Yep, it's a saege thread. Fucking useless as always.

Garbage idea that we shouldn't have wasted our time humoring.
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #597219

The idea of taking a positive feature that rewards good play and being a positive force in a shift, and turning it into a weapon for our community that already has a toxicity problem to abuse and harass people, just because you don't like their play style is so absolutely liquid brained that I don't even know where to begin.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597220

Saege Tilth wrote:Sounds like all of you are just afraid that you might receive negative criticism. Ironic isn't it?
...no?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #597223

Yes, I am increadably emotionally sensitive, and easily harmed by online comments. This is why I code for tgstation, a community of kind and understanding people
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597232

If anything I should be able to thank more people. Oftentimes it's multiple people that make a round memorable for me.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #597234

Sylphet wrote:The idea of taking a positive feature that rewards good play and being a positive force in a shift, and turning it into a weapon for our community that already has a toxicity problem to abuse and harass people, just because you don't like their play style is so absolutely liquid brained that I don't even know where to begin.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597274

Farquaar wrote:If anything I should be able to thank more people. Oftentimes it's multiple people that make a round memorable for me.
?

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #597294

The idea of multiple commendation types that we can give out like merit badge stickers sounds kinda lit, can't wait for people in OOC to rep like five different icons it's gonna be just like twitch chat. (:pog:)
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #597297

RaveRadbury wrote:The idea of multiple commendation types that we can give out like merit badge stickers sounds kinda lit, can't wait for people in OOC to rep like five different icons it's gonna be just like twitch chat. (:pog:)
Rave please don't entertain this buffoon. Ironically or non-ironically, you're gonna make all our posts lose even more weight, since he probably hasn't even read half of them.

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #597300

I think that rewarding or acknowledging bad or negative behavior/gameplay is a bad idea and along the same lines as why FB never introduced a "dislike" button.

At the end of the day we want to highlight positive interactions and good gameplay.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #597354

Let's do this but after 5 negative ratings you get banned for a month

No longer will players be subjected to the admin tyranny, tg will be administrated by the people through democracy, as it should be
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #598444

Ignoring the fact that it's a contradiction that the least important player would be remembered enough to be awarded "least important player," this is a terrible idea because it just adds negativity to the game for no reason.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #598455

sinfulbliss wrote:Ignoring the fact that it's a contradiction that the least important player would be remembered enough to be awarded "least important player," this is a terrible idea because it just adds negativity to the game for no reason.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598485

ATHATH wrote:That sounds horrible. Imagine how self-esteem-crushing it'd be to be told by the game that you were the least important/most rude/worst player in a round.
yeah it's the same principle behind why facebook only has the thumb instead of the inverted thumb or the middle finger which is that mark didn't want to drive rubes off his platform with built-in public shaming
it's more ethical and better motivating to reward good players instead of putting a dunce cap on bad ones for all to see. i would like to see other awards than just the heart though

so what dave dadbury said
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #598494

today i will give somebody a reward for deepfrying all of medical