Double Agent rework idea

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Double Agent rework idea

Post by cocothegogo » #612435

Double agent was in my opinion was the best game mode. Tot vs Tot gameplay. I believe it was removed as people wouldn't do their objective and just team up and bone.

Here is my idea. double agent is reintroduced. and can randomly spawn. two traitors are both given a 10tc uplink, and they both have the objective to kill/capture the opponent. They spawn with a tablet such like a contractor which would send the agent back to the syndicate. 10tc is given on a dead agent returned. 15 for one captured alive.

Why do I believe this would be good? Tot lacks progress. Having the lower starting tc would promote combat between the two tots, and taking one captured would give extra tc to the victor. Might be OP though. The lower tc starting also gives the opportunity to bone from start if they choose.

tell me what you think, I'm too retarded to code so I posted this.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Double Agent rework idea

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612544

Another reason it was removed was that having all your antagonists focus on taking each other out leaves very little conflict for the crew to deal with. If you didn't get picked as a Double Agent and nobody went loud/murderboned it was just extended for you.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Post by Waltermeldron » #612584

Double agent, even with this rework idea, seems like something that would only work on MRP where you aren't allowed to murderbone because people would just share tc and team up anyways.
PKPenguin321 wrote:Another reason it was removed was that having all your antagonists focus on taking each other out leaves very little conflict for the crew to deal with. If you didn't get picked as a Double Agent and nobody went loud/murderboned it was just extended for you.
With dynamic, this could be different.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612600

Okay but when the double agents ACTUALLY teamed up without turning on each other, it was hilarious, because their cooperation would usually break down sooner or later.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #612648

Would work pretty well on dynamic, now that it isn't the entire focus of a round.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #612696

what if you make a variant where the antag is sent to take out a specific antag and said antag doesn't know? (so not mutual double agent)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612862

Double agent might unironically work better if EVERYONE became a traitor with an objective to kill the next guy in line, but also with a mandatory objective to avoid blowing cover or killing unrelated agents at all costs. Everyone is involved, anyone could be the guy who's trying to kill you, boom we've got paranoia. Of course this could be pretty terrible for what non-antag gameplay there is left over.
Qustinnus wrote:what if you make a variant where the antag is sent to take out a specific antag and said antag doesn't know? (so not mutual double agent)
Still sux because then it's just a net negative for the number of antagonists in the round. If the assassin gets the other antag before the other antag has actually done anything to the crew, the crew doesn't get to play.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #612894

PKPenguin321 wrote:Double agent might unironically work better if EVERYONE became a traitor with an objective to kill the next guy in line, but also with a mandatory objective to avoid blowing cover or killing unrelated agents at all costs. Everyone is involved, anyone could be the guy who's trying to kill you, boom we've got paranoia. Of course this could be pretty terrible for what non-antag gameplay there is left over.
The reverse is also a possibility: In addition to the kill target, you'd also have a second, regular traitor objective. That way you won't know it's double agents - and thus, you won't know the opponent is a traitor until he whips out syndicate gear on you.

This solves the problem of teaming due to eachother not knowing if it's double agent or not. Furthermore, it gives more paranoia to both the traitor and double agent gamemode; in traitor you also have to consider the option that your target might also be planning to kill you and as double agent, well, they are - but you don't know that they are.
I remade the beach away mission