Keyboard and/or MIDI support for instruments

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Keyboard and/or MIDI support for instruments

Post by BONERMASTER » #613697

Yeah, exactly. We got this janky, cryptic interface (that you have to manually refresh after every input), it's half broken half working and is only being used with imported finished songs. Let's make this easier, by adding direct keyboard control to this son of a bitch, visualize the notes in piano-keys like in all modern DAWs, and this way, non-professors and doctorates can have a go at these and eventually figure out some kind of tune that is not stolen from our song library.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Keyboard and/or MIDI support for instruments

Post by Mothblocks » #613700

i wonder if this is even possible with the byond ie maybe-sandbox
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613702

Mothblocks wrote:i wonder if this is even possible with the byond ie maybe-sandbox
Yeah. It would be a dream for the musically inclined among us, but a layman like me can't really see how'd it be done.
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613707

Time to break out the Nintendo Gamecube Donkey Kong Jungle-Beat Bongos

Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #613719

Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #613749

Not possible for MIDI keyboards is what I'm reading here, but it seems we can still hack something together to make normal keyboards act as makeshift pianos.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #613755

I feel like playing music with your keyboard would result in something even more out of time than playing back tabs
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #613764

Listen just like.
A: Make the ui tgui so it isn't horrible to work with.
B: Maybe get someone to make like, a synth display? like, notes on plane sorta thing. It'd be pretty painful to implement well tho, so maybe not?
C: Someone actually needs to do this first. Which is perhaps a bit unlikely. You should try and learn tgui and then give it a shot.
D: Piping direct input from a keyboard is gonna cause issues with spam and shit, though that's maybe feasible. Would need to make sure it doesn't just not support non qwerty keyboards.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613786

TheFinalPotato wrote:D: Piping direct input from a keyboard is gonna cause issues with spam and shit, though that's maybe feasible. Would need to make sure it doesn't just not support non qwerty keyboards.
Most synthesizers (at least in the 90s because that's what I had growing up) have a limit on how many notes can be played at once. Might help limit the spam from any given person.

Either that of you could give the in-game "qwerty" instrument a limited battery life, but that might be annoying for people who like to chill in the cafeteria and play lounge music.
TheFinalPotato wrote:B: Maybe get someone to make like, a synth display? like, notes on plane sorta thing. It'd be pretty painful to implement well tho, so maybe not?
This would be inhumanely based.
► Show Spoiler