Interactive Lavaland Global Warming & Smog Gas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Interactive Lavaland Global Warming & Smog Gas

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613709

Alright, i can stop bothering coderbus about the recent pollution PR right now.

Our own climate catastrophe has been a absolute letdown, much least people do not believe it is even happening, and even those who do take the time to try and make a few bucks out of it fail to make very much difference eitherway to stop it. Lavaland is no exception except the disaster already happened a long time-ago, and presumably all of those solar panel salesmen are now ash-skeletons.

To paraphrase maintainer Ninjanom
that you could possibly affect the climate enough in a single round to cause noticeable changes brings back to mind an old lavaland headcanon where it's actually quite small, like a couple hundred square km
Global warming in our own little niche of lavaland would be different then, being a much more feasible square area to use. We have 3 core enviroments that are different temperatures, and when the requirements could be made ready, a room conversion crystal effect could activate lavaland, icebox or any other mining map and fast-convert it.
  • In other cases it could be a freak event-accident, like a super-volcano instigating a little ice age.

# Proposed code-ways to modify the atmosphere, ranked in technical difficulty
1# The Atmosian Mole Method

When the lavaland ground absorbs contaminants the planet is kept clean. Extra non-land compatible contaminants labelled as pollutants like freon, smog and a few of the more recent additions to Ghilker-Era atmospherics cannot be absorbed, so are instead directly disspiated gradually into the planetary fabric of the Ozone atmosphere.

To save a ever-worsening disaster by a sheer amount of overkill, atmospheric gas extractors can work to try and remove pollutants from the atmosphere from orbit or ground-level. Overproduction of atmospheric harvesters can weaken the ozone though by such a level that whatever icebox or jungleplanet you have started on or cultivated will simply revert to a lavaland again.

2# The Impact Reader

A more streamlined version that takes aspects of the mole method (gases going up above into the Ozone), but also applies its own logic for treating them as events rather than mathmatic constants for counting the amount of moles up there and caculating their effects (freon can go up and make it cold but can't be sucked away back onto ground level). Certain activities like smog creation, gas leakage, the death of certain bosses and destruction of trees will start towards a counter towards a certain result

3# The Lazy Intentional Game Design Method

This is more closely to the impact than mole theory, but is compatible with both. The Legion boss at the end of the lavaland map behind the final destination door would be guarding a atmospheric seeder, overgrown with the necropolis's meaty corruption. Deploying the seeder on a cooldown and resource dependency would instantly stimulate the atmospheric change and growth towards a desired result.

The lore implications if lavaland always resembled hell infested by demons remain open ended by radical shifts in enviroment.

# Why would we want to change the atmosphere? ?

- Makes the world more comfy/inhospitable as wanted

- Can be used in the activation of certain inert bosses

- Alternates the enviroment to expand the content of the mining z level (trees will spawn, incompatible plants and fauna will Q delete and "evolve" into a appropriate forms)

- Grants the player a feeling of control over their enviroment, rather than being space 2.0 to modify and fine tune like a station engine.

Spoiler:
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Re: Interactive Lavaland Global Warming & Smog Gas

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #613747

Sounds a lot more like the intent is "Hey guys wouldn't it be cool if we did X?" rather than being something made with the intent of, y'know, making the game better. Just like all of mining. How does encouraging people to do projects on lavaland rather than on the station, away from everyone else and the rest of the round a good thing for the game? Shouldn't we be promoting player interaction rather than promoting them to go away to lavaland and never interact with anyone except for the miners and the ghostroles?
I remade the beach away mission
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613765

Nobody visits Nebraska either but people live there including probably your friend's girlfriend who makes you drive 7 hours to see the archway from Garry's Mod as the states only national landmark. There has to be more things there to intrinsically to even be a pull as its a public commute, and people live inside the same z level with setups like Icebox.

They tried premium oil for the chef from the elephant graveyard, there's loot, and now there's a extra dimension to extractable atmos and every kind of lavaland harvestable within reach.

Also most of the time, ghostroles are detrimented by climates. Good luck having ashwalkers survive your incurred ice age, good if you hate them.

Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #613821

Not feasible, and even if it was I'd deny it for shitcoding up my atmospherics system
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #613827

Currently considering removing pollution from planetary atmos entirely lol
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613843

TheFinalPotato wrote:Not feasible, and even if it was I'd deny it for shitcoding up my atmospherics system
Can you least offer some constructive criticism pretty please, to show that you're not being dismissive in bad faith, as this is the second time you've grabbed my attention to make a similar comment while having no sort of opinion on it eitherway.

How and why would it be shitcode, what about it do you not like practically, methodically or conceptually?
Armhulen wrote:Currently considering removing pollution from planetary atmos entirely lol
Its not theoretically required to be your PR pollutants if adjusted into standard gas, and undergo the same dissipation rules into the atmospheric layer by being blacklisted by Lavaland tiles to be sucked in (hence, pollutant), which is how id approach it with a planetary climate control.

If you wanted a really deconstructed version of this idea, check a few parameters based on gas input and other things (described in methods), then fire a Anomalous Crystal conversion effect over the whole size dimension of lavaland to areas not inside ruin-rooms, and twiddle a few additional map vars regarding ambient temp, pressure and weather/light that tiles alone cannot handle.

Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613864

What about terraforming that isn't necessarily tied to atmos, though? If the mass-planting of grass/plants reduced the frequency of ashstorms and maybe even altered the oxygen level of the air in descrete stages, it would make for a pretty cool feature.

Lord knows I've embarked on a bunch of "terraforming projects" in my time here.
► Show Spoiler
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #613935

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
TheFinalPotato wrote:Not feasible, and even if it was I'd deny it for shitcoding up my atmospherics system
Can you least offer some constructive criticism pretty please, to show that you're not being dismissive in bad faith, as this is the second time you've grabbed my attention to make a similar comment while having no sort of opinion on it eitherway.

How and why would it be shitcode, what about it do you not like practically, methodically or conceptually?
I had an effort post written, but I closed the page by accident. So.

Putting aside pollution.
Detection problems:
Can't detect changes in planetary atmos in a nice way, because of how the slow resetting works. Would need to be hacky, and more costly then free to planetary turf sharing. Do not like this
Conversion hell:
Conversion needs to be instant, otherwise you have 2 planetary turf types with different gasmixtures on the same z level. This means potentially infinite atmos diffs, which is horrifying. Can't just change the planet mix without resetting all planetary turfs of that type on the z level. Also I'd assume that theming would require mass changing turf types mass creation/destruction of objects. Can't think of a good way to do this cheaply.

Ambient temp isn't a property of the area. it's a trait of each turf's gas mixture that would need to be modified or reset to the master template version at some step. Similarly to their gases and molar makeup.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?