Ethereal Crystal Replacement: Post-Mortem Shock

A place to record your ideas for the game.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Ethereal Crystal Replacement: Post-Mortem Shock

Post by wesoda25 » #613835

I am not a fan of the ethereal crystal regeneration. I think it makes little sense, is over-powered, and is odd thematically.

A more interesting idea I had was what would effectively act as an automatic defibrillation which occurs a set time after death. If after x amount of time, an ethereal contains a certain amount of charge, then their heart is automatically restarted (and the charge is consumed). Perhaps on top of this a certain amount of epinephrine, determination, and/or adrenaline are injected. Alternatively/additionally the ethereal could be brought just out of crit. Really the additional effects would be dependent upon what we wanted out of the ability.

I believe this would feel more at place within the game, and make ethereal resurrection feel much less - for lack of a better word - janky.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Ethereal Crystal Replacement: Post-Mortem Shock

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613842

I mean its a perfectly justifiable precendent, you discharge on low power so why not reboot on immediate rush of high? +?

Spoiler:
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #613847

The crystal looks cool and feels powerful, defib feels very boring in comparison and would probably drive people away from the race.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #613877

It looks cool, it doesn't feel powerful and it is annoying as fuck 99.99% of the time
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613913

whats the ethereal crystal
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #613915

when you die you are unable to ghost which is confusing then after a little bit your body is encased in a crystal structure that takes up one tile and then if nothing destroys the crystal it shits you out fully revived with an irreversible brain trauma that can be crippling
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613944

See? people with atleast 500+ recent rounds (melonbus stats for crag) don't even know it was implemented; I had to git-dive to find out what the OP and kryson was even talking about.

I've already poked #Wikibus that the ethereal page is not up to date, i don't respect a reply from them as high priority over humanoid fluff races. And in the meantime, my 50 cents is that brain trauma is more annoying than waiting on chemistry to set up some pipes to get your genetic damage fixed up, because nobody plays therapist to throw their drugs down your throat on lrp, just paramedic-tiders coupled with screeching pinkhair heal-harlots.

Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #613946

fwiw the new prefs menu will tell you about all the pros/cons of every species
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #613951

wesoda25 wrote:I am not a fan of the ethereal crystal regeneration. I think it makes little sense, is over-powered, and is odd thematically.

A more interesting idea I had was what would effectively act as an automatic defibrillation which occurs a set time after death. If after x amount of time, an ethereal contains a certain amount of charge, then their heart is automatically restarted (and the charge is consumed). Perhaps on top of this a certain amount of epinephrine, determination, and/or adrenaline are injected. Alternatively/additionally the ethereal could be brought just out of crit. Really the additional effects would be dependent upon what we wanted out of the ability.

I believe this would feel more at place within the game, and make ethereal resurrection feel much less - for lack of a better word - janky.
I don't agree. I can add the ability to allow people to ghost out of the crystal (which would warn them that it destroys the crystal) but the ability is fine.

Also, the thematics of Ethereals is something I probably have a better view on than you do.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613957

Doesnt improve too much substantially if you ask me. Some people just wont want to be converted by antags, even if its against the rules; so will destroy their own crystal with your ghostverb idea to be a huge 'flip of the bird' to things like post-mortem sacrifices.

Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #614022

What is this in reference to? I do not understand what you're trying to say.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #614285

Ethereal main here, honestly an ability to ghost out of the crystal on command would be so good, half the time medbay doesn’t break the crystal(normally leading to me popping out of the crystal and strangling the doctor who watched and did nothing).
Also(more of a problem with random brain trauma selection but still) I wish there was a way to blacklist phobias and muscle spasms.
Phobias are just downright dogshit and more debilitating then having all the severes combined.
Muscle Spasms(The one that makes you attack things and yourself) is okay but only when it is temporary, permanent muscle spasms is suicide worthy.
In fact all of the “mild” traumas are not designed with permanence in mind, the severe ones are far more applicable for the ethereal crystal if it gives permeant traumas
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614286

I'm so sorry. I've watched Ethereals come out of the crystal as MD because I had no idea it gave traumas until I read this.

What's more, I actually thought breaking it prematurely led to potentially killing the Ethereal inside or something like that, and that leaving it alone was for the best.

I'll correct this mistake from now on and spare the atrocity to you Ethereal mains.

iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #614287

I love the part where you smash them out of the crystals, spend a minute or two reviving them, just to find out they're one of the minority who rather be crystal-revived than waste time in medical, and then they bitch at you for 5 minutes even though they were dead so you couldn't exactly ask them.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614289

wesoda25 wrote:I am not a fan of the ethereal crystal regeneration. I think it makes little sense, is over-powered, and is odd thematically.

I don't think the crystal is unbalanced, uninteresting, nor "thematically odd". Good fiction often mixes things that seem illogical or look weird together, like organic/inorganic tissue/materials interacting in ways that make no sense in relation to other species.

Folk that need to be recharged like a battery and that when dying sprout a crystal that hardens around the individual a la attack on titan is, in my opinion, thematically interesting.

Self-defib on the other hand is a concept that already existed in ss13, and I can't see how one could deem it to be more interesting that the current mechanic.
iprice wrote:I love the part where you smash them out of the crystals, spend a minute or two reviving them, just to find out they're one of the minority who rather be crystal-revived than waste time in medical, and then they bitch at you for 5 minutes even though they were dead so you couldn't exactly ask them.
So I can't win with them huh? I guess next time I'll just delegate them to the next MD/Para/Chem/Viro/cmo.

Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #614290

Agux909 wrote:
iprice wrote:I love the part where you smash them out of the crystals, spend a minute or two reviving them, just to find out they're one of the minority who rather be crystal-revived than waste time in medical, and then they bitch at you for 5 minutes even though they were dead so you couldn't exactly ask them.
So I can't win with them huh? I guess next time I'll just delegate them to the next MD/Para/Chem/Viro/cmo.
No ethereals are actually like this, just break the damm crystal.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614291

Roger o7

iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #614332

Yeah agreed, side with breaking it, just eventually ...
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #614334

I kinda wish ethereals could choose to start crystalizing, that's all
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #614335

Would make the ability stronger. having a forced period you need to come back in + losing the ability if hit hard post death is good I think
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?