Crag's idea for detomatix cartidge rework (pda bomb shenanigans)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Crag's idea for detomatix cartidge rework (pda bomb shenanigans)

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #615671

Pda bombs are reviled as being annoying with no real counterplay beyond metagaming and inconsistently either round enders or just mild inconveniences.

Proposed change: cartridge now has two settings.

Primary setting: "bang!". Detonates pda as it does currently but with minor explosion nerf so as not to instakill peoole roundstart. If sent to a disabled PDA, pda will detonate eventually, but slower. Player will be able to detect PDA about to bang by receiving a message that it's heating up.

Secondary Setting: "BOOM!" BOOM makes a bigger explosion but with an adjustable timer setting. When sent to a pda, makes their PDA beep like they got a message. You can choose to send them a taunting message with the boom virus. It will also have a countdown. This way alert people can check their PDA and chuck it before getting owned. This could also allow traitor to use PDA as improvised minibomb grenades for demolition.

Might be fun who knows. Right now i dont think they are very fun.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Crag's idea for detomatix cartidge rework (pda bomb shenanigans)

Post by Istoprocent1 » #615684

That or for example:

1) PDA bombs ignoring PDA message settings (uplinks should remain safe from PDA bombings)
2) Sends a random ad/spam message after which the PDA explodes in X seconds (say 3 seconds)

With this approach the explosion can remain the same since people get a warning beforehand and have a chance to react.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #615693

PDA bombs are fine now after being nerfed. If you have standard armor (maybe even without armor) they don't crit, so you still have a chance to defend yourself even after exploding.
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #615694

sinfulbliss wrote:PDA bombs are fine now after being nerfed. If you have standard armor (maybe even without armor) they don't crit, so you still have a chance to defend yourself even after exploding.
Last time i was pda bombed i lost 3 limbs and died because someone pushed the funny button. My proposed change would keep the bombs dangerous for the unaware while still allowing canny players some counterplay, which i feel is fitting for a supposed stealthy weapon.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #615705

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
sinfulbliss wrote:PDA bombs are fine now after being nerfed. If you have standard armor (maybe even without armor) they don't crit, so you still have a chance to defend yourself even after exploding.
Last time i was pda bombed i lost 3 limbs and died because someone pushed the funny button. My proposed change would keep the bombs dangerous for the unaware while still allowing canny players some counterplay, which i feel is fitting for a supposed stealthy weapon.
This was because PDA bombs were broken after explosions were reworked I believe, since then they've been fixed.
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #615706

I thought it might be cool if they had a greater emphasis on fire and burn wounds.
[this space reserved]
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #615707

I like the idea of taunting and teasing someone with a message being built into it.
Hugs
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #615714

My main problem with PDA bombs is that the counterplay to wearing an explosive that can be detonated on you at any time is removing other people's access to communicating with you. This is a social game, why is the best/meta option to protecting yourself making your experience less social?

Honestly "making pda messaging settings irrelevant to bombing" sounds like a fine idea (provided there's now some other method of counterplay to a PDA bomb added, like the "you hear a loud buzzing" for the malf AI machine detonation) because it solves the issue of "god why are all my friends turning their PDAs off at the start of the round I just want to talk to my friends ffs"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #615733

Omega_DarkPotato wrote:My main problem with PDA bombs is that the counterplay to wearing an explosive that can be detonated on you at any time is removing other people's access to communicating with you. This is a social game, why is the best/meta option to protecting yourself making your experience less social?

Honestly "making pda messaging settings irrelevant to bombing" sounds like a fine idea (provided there's now some other method of counterplay to a PDA bomb added, like the "you hear a loud buzzing" for the malf AI machine detonation) because it solves the issue of "god why are all my friends turning their PDAs off at the start of the round I just want to talk to my friends ffs"
Aaaa IT HAS COUNTERPLAY NOW AFTER THE EXPLOSION FIX.

I literally got PDA bombed and the guy who did it came at me right after I exploded to assassinate me, but I was fine enough to fight him off with a baton or something and then go heal. It doesn't blow off your limbs anymore, it stuns you for a bit and causes some damage yeah but so does getting sleepypenned, and that's around as much TC (and reusable).

I suppose the sleepypen does warn you ahead of time, so you have maybe 10-20 seconds to react before you're boned, but you could apply something like this to PDA bombs. For instance, it says "you feel your PDA melting into your skin!" in red text like 10 seconds before it explodes, but it's stuck on you so you can't throw it away or pick it up to turn it off. That allows you to move somewhere more public so they can't followup as easy. Would also allow you to remove your ID from it which is a very annoying side effect of the PDA bombs.
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #615822

PDA's are optional, at best they're handheld tools like the scientific reagent analyzer cartridges, or detailed medical examination for additional details like time of death. Knowing they just got PR'd with a idea-improvement id throw away my PDA entirely, like i pretty much do anyway over the course of a round with it sitting inactive in my bag.

Their only function is to recieve spam, you'know like discord. 🧶

Spoiler: