Minor Suggestions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Minor Suggestions

Post by Incoming » #125184

Bottom post of the previous page:

Steelpoint wrote:I suggest that if you click a station layout sign (those two tiled one's near arrivals) that it opens a overall image of the station, not only telling you the name (and colour code) of each department but telling you where you are.

E: This should change for each unique station, to help newer people figure out where everything is.
We already have minimap generation, so we could use that, that way it auto updates if the map is physically changed and everything. Frankly I've already tried to do this. The minimap system is just a LITTLE mystic to me right now.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125550

Goon has some neat stuff, but everything looks like it has nothing close to an UDD - coloured lights, single-celled blobs, cyborgs with more limbs, pods, shuttle detailing, decent water... why don't we see more things like that around?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #125555

AnonymousNow wrote:Goon has some neat stuff, but everything looks like it has nothing close to an UDD - coloured lights, single-celled blobs, cyborgs with more limbs, pods, shuttle detailing, decent water... why don't we see more things like that around?
Goonstation is a closed source project, we literally can't get to the code for those things and would have to basically make our own versions from scratch.

For comparision Tgstation is open source, which is why you might see some things that originated here appear on other codebases later.

Also the fact that goonstation has been off doing their own versions of things for so long means that many of their features would be a real pain to port even if we had access to their code.

(also I always really thought colored lights looked like garbage)

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #125569

Incoming wrote: (also I always really thought colored lights looked like garbage)
it DOES look rubbish
私は完璧
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125573

I'm aware of the closed-source nature of Goonstation, but that hasn't stopped some features from being roughly hewn out of it, forcibly inserted into the least comfortable orifice of our codebase and messily attached with wall staples, elephant dung and hope copied over or cloned.

That said, some things might be worth copying, like multiple cyborg limbs and col-
Remie Richards wrote:
Incoming wrote: (also I always really thought colored lights looked like garbage)
it DOES look rubbish
It's a shame we can't port taste.

I'm kidding, mileage varies.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125595

Colored lights are good as long as you don't oversaturate it.

Seriously a ~10% red tint coming from a fire compared to full on JUST #FFFF00UCK MY SHIT UP FAM is pretty nice.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #125596

well yeah that's the problem, they ALWAYS overdo it, and all those sprites turn into monocolored shitfests

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #125646

so basically exactly what happened with quake 2 and unreal
"oh shit we can actually render coloured lighting in real time LET'S PUT THAT SHIT FUCKING EVERYWHERE"
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #125658

Remove all the implant breaker nonsense and have EMP break implants or activate "triggerable" implants based on severity.

in b4 ion rifles exploding nuke ops.
Mime: Depresso
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125661

Screemonster wrote:so basically exactly what happened with quake 2 and unreal
"oh shit we can actually render coloured lighting in real time LET'S PUT THAT SHIT FUCKING EVERYWHERE"
Gooooood fucking christ I forgot how hilarious OpenGL mode was once you had a computer that supported it. Damn that was cool for its time though.
Spoiler:
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #125816

whiskey sour is not an actual drink in game what the actual shit why
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #125975

Allow blue, normal flashlights to be attached to guns like the Seclites can. Tacticool should not be limited to Sec!
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125981

allow blue flashlights to let off (reduced) light when in a belt the janitor needs more light.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125992

Gun Hog wrote:Allow blue, normal flashlights to be attached to guns like the Seclites can. Tacticool should not be limited to Sec!
I do wonder why we haven't added gaffer tape yet.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #126054

Update mini or remove it from the rotation, it is missing so many things like a clothesmate and a dresser which is mildly irritating and the maint is tiny and worthless
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #126069

>Ministation is tiny

you don't say
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #126189

Birdboat station is small but maintenance is still a little more expansive and has good loot
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #126220

Birdboat station has too much loot in maintenance. Science can walk five metres and get a free set of Security gear, for one. (And the Brig cells are all-access, and the Armory's open to Sec Officers, and...)
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #126296

Brig Cells are always all access if there's no time set. The armory being open to everyone is likely because bird boat is meant for low population.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
BillWilson
Byond Username: TheEpicPissUmaru

Post by BillWilson » #126457

Make it so you can screwdrive an e-sword and put a crayon or pen in it and the color should change to correspond.

Rainbow E-sword for the clown crayon.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #126484

Zilenan91 wrote:Brig Cells are always all access if there's no time set. The armory being open to everyone is likely because bird boat is meant for low population.
Even if the timer's set. You can put someone in for five minutes, walk away, and they just open the door and stroll out.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126719

TheNightingale wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Brig Cells are always all access if there's no time set. The armory being open to everyone is likely because bird boat is meant for low population.
Even if the timer's set. You can put someone in for five minutes, walk away, and they just open the door and stroll out.
Known issue with the permissions on the left cell, apparently
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #126755

This is not the correct place to report bugs.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #126763

Blank bullets

What's the best way to screw with a clown or security?
Give 'em a gun full of non-lethal bullets and watch them try to use it.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #126766

Now I'm thinking of that scene from In Bruges where Colin Farrell's character blinds someone by shooting him in the face with a blank from like an inch away.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #126848

One Seven One wrote:Blank bullets

What's the best way to screw with a clown or security?
Give 'em a gun full of non-lethal bullets and watch them try to use it.
Stalk him and arrest him for every crime it inevitably commits?
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #126958

Explosions inside containers could scatter the items that were inside before the container was destroyed by the explosion.
A trash bag full of glass shards and screwdrivers with a weak grenade/C4 could be a nightmare for people 1 or 2 tiles away and just bleeding for anyone standing within view. Duffelbags dropped near a trial or rage cage or concert could force shuttle calls while causing massive harm as a whole, but little damage to the station. People could be held hostage with an array of prox sensors and emitters surrounding the hostage seats and a few duffel bags surrounding them.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #126969

Fragnostic wrote:Explosions inside containers could scatter the items that were inside before the container was destroyed by the explosion.
A trash bag full of glass shards and screwdrivers with a weak grenade/C4 could be a nightmare for people 1 or 2 tiles away and just bleeding for anyone standing within view. Duffelbags dropped near a trial or rage cage or concert could force shuttle calls while causing massive harm as a whole, but little damage to the station. People could be held hostage with an array of prox sensors and emitters surrounding the hostage seats and a few duffel bags surrounding them.
+1 for trashbags of bricks and glass.
I like it the same reason I like pneumatic cannons. They allow for player experimentation.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #126976

DaemonBomb wrote:They allow for player experimentation.
...could you make an inefficient ballistic healing bomb using a container filled with bottles of contact medicine?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #126981

Geiger counters! Have them built into hardsuits, the radiation suit, and a handheld device given to engineering lockers, possibly wearable as a jumpsuit accessory.

They respond to rad_act() by warning the user about the severity of the radpulse. The handheld version can scan current rad levels of any mob the user wants to scan.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #126986

Isn't that what halogen counters essentially are? And they never do jack?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #127040

a nice traitor buff that d20 has make syndicate tookboxes fit inside backpacks.

In fact even knowing fuck all about ss13 code i know how to make that change myself.

:e: I never actually put the idea
Last edited by tuypo1 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #127043

What are you trying to say? Make the toolboxes work how? They work just fine
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #127063

Syndicate toolboxes are already fairly powerful. You get a full toolset (minus cable coils) and insulated gloves. On top of that, you also get a robust weapon that only does 3 less damage than an energy pen and is less conspicuous because you can find Syndicate toolboxes so easily in space. There have been times when I legitimately buy the toolbox and wander around with it equipped and Security just throw it on my record that I went space exploring.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #127092

oh fuck I missed half that sentence I will edit my post as such
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #127313

Godot themed clothing for the Lawyer's wardrobe, with the visor to go along.
One Seven One

Post by One Seven One » #127457

Someone was talking about Shadowrun in OOC and this got me thinking

OOC: Torsion: CFD is this nanite-based disease in Shadowrun that like
OOC: Torsion: Makes an AI take over your body

What if the AI had an ability to infect random players who would then be replaced by ghosts loyal to the AI?
The AI would then have some hidden team mates to work with who could cause diversions or even make more borgs in secret.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #127466

One Seven One wrote:Someone was talking about Shadowrun in OOC and this got me thinking

OOC: Torsion: CFD is this nanite-based disease in Shadowrun that like
OOC: Torsion: Makes an AI take over your body

What if the AI had an ability to infect random players who would then be replaced by ghosts loyal to the AI?
The AI would then have some hidden team mates to work with who could cause diversions or even make more borgs in secret.
Sounds like a neat Malf round ability idea
What's the current malf win percentage anyways?
Last edited by Helios on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #127470

Why have it replace the player with a ghost? You could just give them a "You have been MALFIFIED!" popup and send them on their merry way.
(The winrate is 31% AI victory, apparently.)
One Seven One

Post by One Seven One » #127506

TheNightingale wrote:Why have it replace the player with a ghost? You could just give them a "You have been MALFIFIED!" popup and send them on their merry way.
(The winrate is 31% AI victory, apparently.)
Yeah just popping them with a message and maybe a HUD icon would probably be better.

I was thinking of them being replaced mostly, if not entirely, so the new person won't have any memory of the person they're taking over. Making them at least somewhat suspicious and since some people may not notice/may choose to ignore the text in their chat saying they've been malfified.

Also since it may work a little better having someone who wants to work with you, rather than someone being forced to work with you.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #127682

Lets give the clown a RES (Rapid egg Shooter)
Which shoots egg THE ULTIMATE PRANK!
The future is horrible!
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #127946

Give removing embedded objects a verb (currently, you have to click yourself and then click 'remove object', which has a wonderful habit of killing BYOND). Also, allow removing embedded objects from other people without surgery.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #127948

Make explosions shoot out actual shrapnel, which have almost no damage upon impact but a high chance of embedding, and delete when they hit something else or are removed.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #127982

Speaking of clicking crashing byond, is there a verb for responding to admin pms? Will adminhelp do the job, or will that just send a generic to all admins instead of the one you want to talk to?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #127984

Just click the name of the admin who responded to you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #127992

DemonFiren wrote:Just click the name of the admin who responded to you.
He just said he needed a verb. I suffer the same problem - clicking any chat links crashes/freezes BYOND. It makes dealing with admins nigh impossible.

I created a thread for discussing this issue.
Mime: Depresso
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #128022

More or custom ice cream flavours - Id be down for making some chocolate ice cream or even making my own custom mix with different methods and flavours.

Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #128062

Laser guns should have more ammo than energy guns and there should be a bullet type for some guns like the smg that embed.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #128105

Robotics HUD: Given to the Roboticists and the RD to see the health bars of cyborgs, the AI, and bots (such as Beepsky).
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #128297

Let Artificers spawn Cultist Bedsheets
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #128364

When you "use" the blueprints, make it show a map of the station a la crew monitors.
Make the editing blueprint window come up when you use a pen/crayon on them.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa