Revamp to food making.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Highway Routine
Byond Username: Holes in the light

Revamp to food making.

Post by Highway Routine » #616315

The way food was made to rely on the crafting menu too much, Here is an example: To make FRIED EGGS, you need 1 unit of salt, one unit of pepper, and an egg. Do you see the problem? IT'S THE FACT THAT YOU MAKE VIA CRAFTING MENU. You don't crack the egg onto the griddle, You make appear out of thin fucking air, this applies to a lot of things, another example burgers, If you put the burger together like a person in real-life does it you don't get a fucking burger, you get a custom burger, But if you use the crafting menu you get the right burger. WHY? I'm not one to complain but jeez people. Here is a list of things that should be able to be made by hand: Every single burger, jelly and butter toast (via knife and then required speading" ,fried eggs and eggs benedict, ice cream sandwich, most soups (How?, In the way that makes the most sense if you were making it in Real-life), beef stroganoff, chicken nugget (should require breading), most kababs, fried chicken, most sandwiches, All Mexican food. Ok you know what better idea. Change most food recipes to things that make sense, So basically imagen your self making these, How would you? For example waffles: how do you make them in real life? That, turn that into code.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Revamp to food making.

Post by Pandarsenic » #616329

The best part of the burger thing is that making a custom burger, even with exactly the ingredients of a real burger, creates Gross Food that gives the relevant "Wow that was nasty" moodlets.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616342

As long as we don't fuck prison cooking again...
I remade the beach away mission
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #616414

Oh yeah, most crafting should definitely be centralized to get around bloat, dare i say cooking should be a seperate button or crafting become a entire panel tab.

I also think that most food crafting should too be soft-locked behind recipie books so that stand-ins to cook quality food are a little harder to come by because right now the value of the chef is only measured by how badly they CQC their under-siege kitchen and not for being a culinary professional able to literally make cak and butterbear life.

Spoiler:
Highway Routine

Post by Highway Routine » #616588

FantasticFwoosh wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:38 am Oh yeah, most crafting should definitely be centralized to get around bloat, dare i say cooking should be a seperate button or crafting become a entire panel tab.

I also think that most food crafting should too be soft-locked behind recipie books so that stand-ins to cook quality food are a little harder to come by because right now the value of the chef is only measured by how badly they CQC their under-siege kitchen and not for being a culinary professional able to literally make cak and butterbear life.
or, have it so every food made is raw. the only exception is for deserts, instead it makes [blank] batter.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #616600

The type of crafting you're describing is called slap crafting. It's an older system that's still used by a few things, spears, flamethrowers, etc. It's not something we use actively because it makes the code really kinda messy, and B: It's really kinda unclear how to make what without looking up on the wiki, which we try and avoid relying on
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Highway Routine

Post by Highway Routine » #616643

TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:57 am The type of crafting you're describing is called slap crafting. It's an older system that's still used by a few things, spears, flamethrowers, etc. It's not something we use actively because it makes the code really kinda messy, and B: It's really kinda unclear how to make what without looking up on the wiki, which we try and avoid relying on
oh... that's a shame.