Rework lone op?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Rework lone op?

Post by datorangebottle » #616818

As it is, lone op is kind of boring. It ends in one of two ways:
1. the op murderbones
2. the op goes stealthy
Either they get caught and die, or they end an otherwise fun round out of nowhere.
This is undesirable. Yes, you're shaking up the round and causing chaos, but you also cause a lot of death and/or ending the round immediately.
My idea is as follows:
  • Rework their tools. Immediately giving them the full nuke ops loadout of bulldogs and SAWs is a recipe for murderboning, which is typically uninteresting to anyone who isn't the lone op. Instead, limit them to stealthy weapons like the energy bow. They could start with a syndicate spacesuit instead of a blood-red hardsuit. Also, from a lore perspective, nuking a base is wasteful and bad PR, something that should only happen rarely.
  • Rename them to 'syndicate infiltrator', and give them contractor and ninja objectives. Kidnap people, drop pod out secure items, money/valuables, pets, bomb a location(bomb provided), upload the GREYTIDE virus at the comms console, with the main objective of constructing and upgrading a forward operating base with a drop pod beacon in a discreet location. Objectives that cause problems for the station without directly killing people are a plus.
  • More detail on that FOB objective- start them with a drop pod beacon that they can place, which serves as the 'heart' of the base and detects other devices in the room. Adding additional devices, some of which can be purchased from your uplink, upgrades the FOB and allows access to more gear. Destroying the beacon causes it to explode violently, so it should be protected.
  • Once a basic FOB is established, allow them to call in backup, such as syndicate cyborgs and agents, all having their own objectives to complete but also obligated to assist the original infiltrator that gave them access to the station.
  • When they've completed their objectives and upgraded the FOB enough, give them the option to drop pod out and respawn as one of three antagonists of their choice, chosen at random from things that don't start on the station, or ghost.
This would allow the operative to potentially cause more chaos without ending the round, and would allow permanently deceased ghosts extra shots at getting back into the game.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Re: Rework lone op?

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616821

Based.
It does completely change it from single-player nuke ops to something completely different but honestly I don't mind that trade.
I remade the beach away mission
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #616825

Lone OP exists to end the round because of an unsecured nuke disk. They are pretty rare already and changing them into a progression type mode would just let them fail harder
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #616826

Ryusenshu wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:14 am Lone OP exists to end the round, because of an unsecured nuke disk. They are pretty rare already and changing them into a progression type mode would just let them fail harder
Yes, the round should end because someone decided not to do their job today.
Wait, no, that's dumb.
Being able to fail more is a good thing, because it makes the success that much more enjoyable.
EuSouAFazenda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:03 am Based.
It does completely change it from single-player nuke ops to something completely different but honestly I don't mind that trade.
I honestly think the game would benefit from it. The less rounds that suddenly end because an antag got to push the funny nuke button, the better.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #616834

datorangebottle wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:55 am
Ryusenshu wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:14 am Lone OP exists to end the round, because of an unsecured nuke disk. They are pretty rare already and changing them into a progression type mode would just let them fail harder
Yes, the round should end because someone decided not to do their job today.
Wait, no, that's dumb.
Being able to fail more is a good thing, because it makes the success that much more enjoyable.
The mininum effort an acting cap has to go through is securing the disk, not really that dumb to actually do your job.
Same with engineering, provide power by starting the sm, if there is no power no one wants to stay.
People can be expected to do their job, thats what this game is about

As a rare antag failing aint fun, if you have to engage with crew way more than a normal "off-station" antag
I honestly think the game would benefit from it. The less rounds that suddenly end because an antag got to push the funny nuke button, the better.
Lone Op is rare, its spawn is not guaranteed even after not picking up the disk for an entire hour
Its Spawning is RNG based
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #616839

The point of lone op is to end the round hence why their goal is to nuke the station like normal operatives, but with a higher failure rate.

sounds like the better solution would be to make a new antag with these mechanics and limit the lone op to admin only if we thought that the round ending piece was a problem (I dont).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #616846

Ryusenshu wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 am The mininum effort an acting cap has to go through is securing the disk, not really that dumb to actually do your job.
Same with engineering, provide power by starting the sm, if there is no power no one wants to stay.
People can be expected to do their job, thats what this game is about
If people are expected to do their jobs, then we should hand out jobbans to captains who commit suicide during war ops. But we don't. Part of SS13's sandbox nature is that sometimes people will just fuck off and not do their work. There's usually more than one person in the engineering department, so if one engineer fucks off, the others can work on the engine. Punishing the entire station because one guy didn't do his job seems unreasonable.
As a rare antag failing aint fun, if you have to engage with crew way more than a normal "off-station" antag
No, but it's part of what makes success so fun. The reason people mass-spectate notorious murderboners isn't because they want to see the murderboner succeed- it's the opposite, they want to see him get his ass kicked by a random, and that's the easiest way to see it.
Cobby wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:45 pm The point of lone op is to end the round hence why their goal is to nuke the station like normal operatives, but with a higher failure rate.
Yes, and my point is: that's garbage.
sounds like the better solution would be to make a new antag with these mechanics and limit the lone op to admin only if we thought that the round ending piece was a problem (I dont).
I wouldn't be opposed to that.