Nuke Ops War mode revamp

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Sealed101
Byond Username: Sealed101

Nuke Ops War mode revamp

Post by Sealed101 » #617267

Nuke ops are simple: get TC - get disky - blow up the station. War ops are the same except you get more TC and the crew knows you're coming after 20 minutes. Not much of a change there. A lot of warops rounds go on the same scenario: nukies snowball over everyone or fluke and die. This is doubly so for the War mode. The challenge isn't as good.

My suggestion is: going into War mode additionally locks the nuke to a minimum timer of, say, 180 seconds. The disk is stuck in the nuke until it counts down to 30 seconds, and the op team can't unanchor the nuke once it's anchored. This makes it so ops have to defend the nuke from the crew reclaiming the disk and disarming the nuke.

This would bring a new dynamic to the War ops rounds - strategy over sabotage of the crew before setting the nuke to blow, where to place the nuke for a better defending spot, what gear to buy. The crew would also have more incentive to plan out their own defences as well as an offence plan in case the disk gets lost. Toxins or Chemistry (or Botany or Atmos if you are a gamer) can set up bombing charges, Medbay is a way for the crew to get back into the fray, while Security has better defensive positions and gadgets like lockdowns. On the other hand, Nuke ops teams would have to either throw a wrench into the crew's defence plans or prepare for an onslaught on the nuke's position, be it more ammo, tech, or even a mech or a shuttle turrets' covering fire.

Of course, some adjustments to the crew's time to prepare might be done as well, or TC bonuses, the nuke's minimum timer or even uplink items.
i prefer the term "issue tracker domovenok" for my kind

nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Re: Nuke Ops War mode revamp

Post by nianjiilical » #617270

i kinda feel like the bigger issue with war ops is that ops in general monopolize the round, and when war is declared it is essentially the ops saying "this will not be a normal round but you're stuck here for 25 minutes anyway" meaning people who dont care to engage with the ops have no reason not to kill themselves and go play runescape until the next round, since they know they wont get to do any long form station content anyway
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Sealed101

Post by Sealed101 » #617271

this is an issue with any major antag, not warops exlusively. revs, cult, sometimes a wizard or an efficient murderboner - all are overtaking the flow of the round and people don't want to be a part of that round sometimes. i have a requested cult ban for example.

Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #617455

The change could be interesting, however, it would require a few more reworks in order to prevent it becoming a one-sided stompfest (a prolonged contact would lead to the crew winning most of the time - assuming 64 pop with 4 starting nukies, which is 1:15 ratio). Spitballing a few ideas.

Nukies need to be much more sustainable by having things like:
* No drop implants or a buff to make guerilla gloves no drop - warops is like 105TC, if one buys L6+2xammo (~30% of their total TC budget) and loses it to a random lemon explosion, then there is not much of game left in terms of offensive firepower.
* Start with Elite Hardsuits that have their resistances buffed (mainly against explosions, but probably lasers and bullets as well).

Crew would need to have less access to instant roundenders like TTVs.

Round might need a fixed timer and conditions such as instant red alert (unalterable by players) and automatic shuttle at 40 minute mark, which would lead to a 40-45 minute round (which would be around 20-25 minutes of intense gameplay) depending if shuttle is launched early or not.

Defusing the nuke would have to take time rather than just be quick 2 button presses. Disk could be locked in the nuke until 40 minute mark of the round (ie. when the shuttle is forced to arrive) after activation.
Sealed101

Post by Sealed101 » #617457

Not sure about a forced round time of 40 minutes, maybe lower. Warops tend to be fast paced, and setting the bar too high would lead to nukies losing more strength while the crew potentially gaining more. Some buffs to the gear could be a good asset, maybe even additional discounts popping up.
The TTVs are a problem of the warops strike force, as it's in their interest to fry Toxins to prevent any more maxcaps popping up. Maybe add more tools for nukeops to sabotage the station remotely or up the chance for traitors and nukeops rolling shift start.

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #617462

just remove war ops. Nuke ops work fine, add paranoia - 'the armoury just blew up, is that a nukie or a normal tot'? 'the AI screamed help and then comms went out - is that nukies?'

war ops is just -> declare war -> suicide
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617463

I like WarOps. There will always be a place in SS13 for lots of flying bullets and hallways full of corpses.
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #617466

Farquaar wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:29 am I like WarOps. There will always be a place in SS13 for lots of flying bullets and hallways full of corpses.
Actually you're right, it shouldn't be removed. it is too frequent though. maybe lock it behind a certain threat level as well as pop?
Sealed101

Post by Sealed101 » #617467

its already locked behind 50 pop, threat locking might be a bit of an overkill. look at what happened with wizard events. but it does have some merit, yes.
the gameplay loop of nukies is still very bland, hence why i made this thread so we can maybe come up with some spice. tactical and strategy planning, splitting forces to attack/defend areas or people, defend/attack the nuke landing point - those sound like an actual war effort, albeit localised within a space mental hospital

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #617472

I don't see why we couldn't just add it as some kind of third variant of Nuclear Operatives - Stealth Mode, War Mode (more TC, advance notice) and ULTRA WAR MODE (even more TC and a few gear additions, advance notice, longer nuke defense).

Also I was under the impression that automatic shuttle-calls were a big no-no for TG design?
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Learner
Byond Username: Learner

Post by Learner » #618297

Here's an honest idea: what if after an announced war where all of the Nuke Ops are beaten, an announcement is played and Nanotrasen sends a restock of crew (aka one respawn) to encourage the round to keep going? This set it apart from normal Nuke Ops as War means people will die, and Nanotrasen wants the station to keep running.
Likteer
Byond Username: Likteer

Post by Likteer » #618303

I am the smartest here, listen to me. Put the bomb on a cart and turn the mode into payload from TF2.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #618319

Likteer wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:24 pm I am the smartest here, listen to me. Put the bomb on a cart and turn the mode into payload from TF2.
Actually brilliant tbh
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo