Add the AI's nuke effect to self destruct and nuke ops

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Add the AI's nuke effect to self destruct and nuke ops

Post by Googles_Hands » #617653

Ever since the explosion rework both the self destruct and nuclear bomb don't do anything instead of actually triggering an explosion accross the entire station z-level.
Since that probably got removed due to performance issues (though a nuke means end of the round, so who really cares) I suggest we add the AI's nuke effect and that an activated nuke dusts everyone on the station z-level, but unlike the AI's nuke it also affects silicons.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: Add the AI's nuke effect to self destruct and nuke ops

Post by iain0 » #617655

I miss the old nuke explosion too, even when it was just a progressive wavefront and you could outrun it (like you used to be able to run away from SM explosions with the place exploding behind you, like some action movie or starwars fighter leaving the exploding death star type thing), cool stuff, while now it just go *pop* and despawns its self :D "guess it was a dud?".

Compared to blob's tile takeover gibbing finale it feels something should be done with this. Personally I'm for reinstating the old progressive explosion wave, let it lag the server reasonably, game's over anyway, but it was cool to chase the wavefront as a ghost or panic and run away as a character.

Obviously I miss the old SM explosions too, but I guess thats a whole other thing.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #617656

the nuke explosion was epic please return cmon its 2021
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #617675

Also, don't have antags who are detonated by the nuke count as escaped. They should have to put the effort it to survive.
"B-b-b-but that would have the nukies interfere with the antags plans and be unfair!!!!"
It's already unfair because it is criminally easy to steal high-risk items during war-ops. If you don't want to blow up, leave the station or stop the nukies yourself.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #617744

This would be a good compromise between crashing the server and no effect at all. Staying alive and acting as if nothing happened after the station was nuked is jarring.

Delta effect on all mobs on-board when it goes off would be a good touch to emphasize that everything was just blown to smithereens and that there were truly no survivors left.
+1

Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #617997

Since I doubt oranges or whoever was in charge of the explosions rework will revert the nukes effect (even though thats the way better option I mean c'mon seriously), if anyone can point me to the piece of code for the AI's nuke I'll try to make an PR myself, even thouough I don't know how coding or programming in general works.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #618000

Googles_Hands wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:53 am Since I doubt oranges or whoever was in charge of the explosions rework will revert the nukes effect (even though thats the way better option I mean c'mon seriously), if anyone can point me to the piece of code for the AI's nuke I'll try to make an PR myself, even thouough I don't know how coding or programming in general works.
Doomsday Detonation Code
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #618017

After rethinking my options and wishing to not hang myself I have decided against making my own PR, life is too short to code
Last edited by Googles_Hands on Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #618053

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:25 pm Also, don't have antags who are detonated by the nuke count as escaped. They should have to put the effort it to survive.
"B-b-b-but that would have the nukies interfere with the antags plans and be unfair!!!!"
It's already unfair because it is criminally easy to steal high-risk items during war-ops. If you don't want to blow up, leave the station or stop the nukies yourself.
Hide in the kitchen heavy duty meat-fridge.

Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #618338

Googles_Hands wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 pm life is too short to code
based
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #619259

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/62807

Huzzah, it won't be as neat as the old nuke explosion, but it's better than nothing!
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #619312

Good work, fingers crossed!
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #619387

Turns out it was always supposed to kill everyone, but the part that did that was non-functional. Maybe it broke at some point. You are welcome, and thanks for the inspirational thread.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later